Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 12 - save clips as separate videos?
BillHansen [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 03, 2012 12:43 Messages: 178 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sure there's an obvious way to do this but I haven't found it.

My wife shot a video of one of our dogs performing a variety of exercises as preparation for a competition. Each exercise must be submitted to a judge as a separate video, with a separate title.Unfortunately she did not turn off the camera between exercises, so all exercises were on one long video. I've edited the video and have split it so that each exercise is on a separate clip. How do I save each clip as a separate title? I'm hoping I don't have to re-edit the original video multiple times, removing all but one exercise for each separate video submission. That would work, but it would be cumbersome. Bill Hansen
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can do a range produce of of what you want as a separate video. This exercise then is a separate video. Repeat this to produce a separate video of each of the dog exercises.

By separate titles do you mean a dvd menu to display each exercise as a separate title to play and then return to the menu?? That is done by setting the Create Disc/Playback mode:
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay - from that reply I assume that there's no way to separate the clips into individual videos, other than to re-edit the original video once for each new individual video. Each time I re-edit, I remove all but one clip from the Timeline, Produce that one as an individual video, save it, close PD12, rename the video to the name I want it to be (rather than "Produce 0" and so forth), and save it to that name. Then go back to the whole original video, re-edit again, removing all but one clip..... It can be done of course, but it's tedious. Please let me know if I've understood you correctly. Bill Hansen
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Not with PD 12 but that is a new feature in PD 14.

Did you try to use scene detection and then select the scenes that you want? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks - I don't know what Scene Detection is. Can y ou tell me how to access it? I can select individual clips, each of which has the video of one exercise, just by clicking on the clip - but I don't know how to save that individual clip separately from the rest of the video. Bill Hansen
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks - I don't know what Scene Detection is. Can y ou tell me how to access it? I can select individual clips, each of which has the video of one exercise, just by clicking on the clip - but I don't know how to save that individual clip separately from the rest of the video.

Just add the clip to your timeline and edit what what you need. Produce each individually as a video file.

Sorry you'll basically have to start from scratch (or upgrade to 14 or the next version when it comes out. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay - that's the only way I was able to figure out, too. I can do it. It just takes time.

Are you implying that version 14 would allow me toproduce and save individual clips as separate videos? Bill Hansen
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was preparing an answer when stevek already responded. Please see the attached for instructions on how to do it with a range selection. PD14 is shown but it is done the same way in PD12. PD12 screenshot also attached.

I’ll let stevek answer the scene detection method. laughing
[Thumb - PD12 Produce Range.jpg]
 Filename
PD12 Produce Range.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD12 Range selection also available to produce.
 Filesize
114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
103 time(s)
[Thumb - Produce Range.jpg]
 Filename
Produce Range.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
How to produce a selection on the timeline. Splits done to help mark selection area.
 Filesize
180 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
68 time(s)
stevek
[Post New]
tomasc; I don't know how I missed it in PD 12. embarassed When I saw the sales pitch for PD 14, I assumed that that was new.

You may want to give Bill a step by step process since it is not obvious on how to do it. .
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
The first one - the 114kb one - worked like a charm! Thanks to Thomas and to SteveK. Bill Hansen
[Post New]
Now, that ws some great piece of advice but how does one activate the range selection ? Because I downloaded the two screenshots provided but most of the featured buttons (Cut, Range, Remove etc.) are not there, in my main timeline screen.

I would appreciate your guidance. It does look like a great way to save clips while actually ... being elsewhere !! Never heard or imagined that such an option was offered.
stevek
[Post New]
Quote Now, that ws some great piece of advice but how does one activate the range selection ? Because I downloaded the two screenshots provided but most of the featured buttons (Cut, Range, Remove etc.) are not there, in my main timeline screen.

I would appreciate your guidance. It does look like a great way to save clips while actually ... being elsewhere !! Never heard or imagined that such an option was offered.

What version or Power Director do you have? What build number? Did you buy it or is it an OEM (free with purchase of a piece of hardware? Do not post the serial number.

Are you in timeline mode?

Read this (link) seconf post down. You may also want to post a dxdiag text file on your computer. .
[Post New]
Thank you Steve ! I work with a purchased PD13, in timeline mode.
stevek
[Post New]
Quote Thank you Steve ! I work with a purchased PD13, in timeline mode.

Nikos, You didn't answer most of my questions or provide the dxdiag.exe text file.

Some of the controls don't appear until you have selected the range. There are small arrowhead to either side of the main timeline pointer. Use these to select the range. They are hard to see. .
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Now, that ws some great piece of advice but how does one activate the range selection ? Because I downloaded the two screenshots provided but most of the featured buttons (Cut, Range, Remove etc.) are not there, in my main timeline screen.

You must follow the instructions in the screenshots or listen to what stevek just told you for the featured buttons to appear. Please post screenshots of your timeline after you performed step 1, step2, and step 3, etc.
[Post New]
Quote Thank you Steve ! I work with a purchased PD13, in timeline mode.

Nikos, You didn't answer most of my questions or provide the dxdiag.exe text file.

Some of the controls don't appear until you have selected the range. There are small arrowhead to either side of the main timeline pointer. Use these to select the range. They are hard to see.

Steve, I actually answered 3/4 of your questions ; I have PD 13, purchased (downloaded from Cyberlink, registered etc.) and work in timeline mode. The build is 13.0.3130.0.

With reference to the dxdiag.exe file, I have no idea what it is, thus I would appreciate your guidance regarding how to retrieve it.

The arrows, you mean the ones in the bottom of the screen, which which I may move right and left throughout the timeline and its duration ?

Also, I posted the nquiry about the range selection, assuming that if my timeline is split into e.g. 5 consequative scenes, what follows from the range selection will allow me to automatically save each scene as separate clip, in one step. Without having to delete the 4 clips and save the 5th, then repeat this action 4 more times (each to save one scene as standalone video).
[Post New]
By the way, how can I insert a screenshot ? I try Insert/Edit Image but the "Source" input doesn't connect with my PC ...
stevek
[Post New]
Quote By the way, how can I insert a screenshot ? I try Insert/Edit Image but the "Source" input doesn't connect with my PC ...
We don;t need the dxdiag.exe for now but if you would have scrolled down in that link I posted, there are instructions there.

As for the arrows, did you look at the screen shots that were posted earlier? It clearly shows where they are. You can do only one at a time but you do not have to reload the video. Just look at the posted attachemtns and the links.

Instert a screen shot as an "ATTACHMENT" just under the post and above the Preview and Submit buttons. when you are replying to a post.

Do not use a smart phone to post and read messages. Use your computer.

You said "The arrows, you mean the ones in the bottom of the screen, which which I may move right and left throughout the timeline and its duration ? ". The arrow (heads) are just above the video track. The main pointer (arrow head) is the one that moves across the screen to show where you are in the timeline. There are little markers on either side of that main pointer. Again, look at the images that were posted. I'm sure they were not posted just to take up space. frown

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 24. 2016 16:44

[Post New]
Steve, I have been able to find the yellow rectangle around the arrow of the timeline pointer. And everything has followed. Thank you for that. And for the attachment placement in the forum posts. And thank you for pointing out that things are being written for a reason, I hadn't thought about this one before.

So, PD does offer a way to save/produce separate clips without removing anything from the project.

But if I have a timeline sequence split into e.g. 5 scenes, is there a way to arrange the production of those 5 separate clips (each containing one scene) consecutively, in just one click for all of them ? Somehow, in order to avoid the 5 steps and merge the production process in one step, still producing 5 different clips. Because this is what I first thought that Steve & tomasc suggested to Bill Hansen.
stevek
[Post New]

But if I have a timeline sequence split into e.g. 5 scenes, is there a way to arrange the production of those 5 separate clips (each containing one scene) consecutively, in just one click for all of them ? Somehow, in order to avoid the 5 steps and merge the production process in one step, still producing 5 different clips. Because this is what I first thought that Steve & tomasc suggested to Bill Hansen.

I don't know where you got that impression. I never suggested it could be done that way.

I don't know and I doubt it. Even if there were your computer probably would not handle it. That is why I asked for the dxdiag.exe text file earlier.

Perhaps someone else can offer a suggestion of an alternate way of doing it.

Good luck and have a nice day. .