Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does PDVD auto adjust refresh rate to 24FPS ??
[Post New]
I have recently purchased powerdvd and I am just curious if it auto adjusts refresh rate to 24Hz because I cant seem to make it work, it does auto adjust to 50hz but not to 24 is this normal behavior?

Thank you for any help ^.^
[Post New]
My TV supports 1080p@24Hz and I have added it to CCC 'custom resolutions' so it appears in my graphics card 'supported resolutions' in device manager.

I am using HD7850, my gfx and tv both support 24hz when I set it so whats the problem? I did try to look for an answer first and couldn't find one, thought this would be a good place to ask.

So... No auto 24hz adjustment ???
Simple yes/no would be awesome from anyone that has any experience at all and can take the time to reply.
Thanks again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2016 08:39

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using the Classic Mode or the Tru Theater Mode? In the True Theater Mode, you can turn OFF the video enhancements.

If that is not what you want and no one else has replied, perhaps yuo should contact Tech Support.

Just for my benefit, why view at 24 fps?

Read/watch this: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 05. 2016 10:55

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Thank you stevek

I think classic mode is all I have used.

Reason for 24hz is (afaik, and please correct me if I am wrong) because majority of blurays are shot at 24fps and with 60hz I believe there is a 2:3 pulldown (which seems to cause me occasional slightly annoying jutter), at 50hz from what I understand the 24fps blurays will be sped up to 25fps (2:2 pulldown with the slight speed increase) which is not really ideal, I just want to have it played in native frame rate so I dont get odd frames / speed up etc and I can simply enjoy it how it was originally meant to be. The reason I asked is I would prefer to leave my PC at 60 or 120Hz unless watching a movie as I game and other things on this PC and having to manually change it to 24hz every time is a bit of a bummer.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I fond this article to be very informative regadring frame rate and playback: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403746,00.asp

That article is 4 years old so take it with a grain of salt.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2016 12:43

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Isn't it more a matter of your display changing the framerate automatically? My Benq projector changes the refresh rate automatically when it senses a 24 Fps source. This works with PowerDVD so there is no problem for the program to playback 24 Fps so there should be your TV that isn't changing the refresh rate.

TVs I've had in the past has been able to recognize wich refresh rate the source is playing in and change with it so it should be possible. Computer screens does not do this however. And if you're using a screen and a TV at the same time that may mess things up too. Not sure.

Best regards.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 05. 2016 22:18

[Post New]
stevek the link is not really what im talking about

This might explain my issues a bit better;

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-141358.html

Http://forums.highdefdigest.com/home-theater-gear/77039-1080-24-48hz-96hz-120hz.html#post1385109

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p

Blixten, yes my display certainly does change the rate depending on what signal it is fed from my PC or other device, not sure if you understand my original question which is;;

Does powerdvd EVER automatically prompt to change the PC refresh rate to =24hz bluray or not?

E.g.. I have 60hz set in my PC, put in a PAL DVD that is 50Hz and powerdvd asks me if I want to 'adjust frame rate to match the content' then if I say YES PDVD changes my PC from 60 to 50hz.. If I put in say, my SE Planet Earth Bluray (that is the newer 1080i50hz version), powerdvd also prompts if I want to change to 50hz to match the content..Now if I put in a bluray that is 24fps powerdvd doesn't EVER ask me if I want to adjust my PC refresh rate to match playback ; hence my original question which I am still confused about and don't know if it is even a 'feature' or not maybe it simply doesn't support it??

So I pretty much just want to know if powerdvd has the ability to adjust the frame rate of my system to 24hz when it detects a blu ray @24hz (the same way prompts for 50hz content).

Apologies if I was not clear before I might have made it confusing asking about auto changing refresh rate and not mentioning the actual 'prompt' it does for other 50hz content.

Many thanks for the replies and your help I do appreciate it. :

Johnny
[Thumb - powerdvd refresh.jpg]
 Filename
powerdvd refresh.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Refresh rate prompt
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
82 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2016 14:41

Simon P [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 07:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
PDVD will prompt only when the disk first starts but not when the main programme starts playing. The interactive menu of many blu-rays have a framerate of 60Hz so if have your PC set to 60Hz you won't get a prompt.

I only discovered this because my HTPC is set to 24Hz and when I play many blu-rays I get the prompt asking to set the framerate to match the content. I guess someone has assumed that the framerate will be the same throughout the whole blu-ray disk like it is with DVD's. TV - Samsung UE55F6670
Sound - Yamaha RX-A2040/4x B&W DM602 S3/2x B&W DM601 S3/B&W LCR60 S3 Centre/B&W ASW1000 Sub/2x Onkyo SKH-410
HTPC - Gigabyte EP35 DS3 v2.1/E8400@3.00/4GB Crucial Ballistix/Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5/PowerDVD 14
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have recently purchased powerdvd and I am just curious if it auto adjusts refresh rate to 24Hz because I cant seem to make it work, it does auto adjust to 50hz but not to 24 is this normal behavior?

Yes it does for 2D and 3D. Are you sure you aren't testing with 50Hz content on the bluray disc? Discs such as these are rare but they do exist. Of course the vast majority are 23.976Hz but PowerDVD switches to 24Hz. It should prompt you asking if you want to switch when detected. If not try resetting the first time prompts and there is a Reset button in the General settings section to do this.
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies exactly the information I was after.

I have over 30 blu ray movies and it has not prompted me once to switch to 24hz doesn't matter if I am on 50hz or 60hz it doesn't prompt me and I have to set it manually, dunno if it is because it was not listed as a 'standard resolution' and it was one I added with catalyst control center (as a "custom resolution"), its unfortunate it doesn't really work for me but maybe it will when I get a new tv one day.

Already tried resetting the prompt it didn;t work, but thanks for the help I do appreciate it, I even tried messing with my EDID info using custom resolution utility setting 1080p24hz as a 'standard resolution' in windows which didn't help either.
Ah well might give up on this one for now.