Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Understanding Effects
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using New Blue's auto pan effect (included in CL's Essentials VII). I've noticed that if I put the effect on the fx timeline, I can't get a transition to work smoothly between video clips. But if I apply the effect directly to a video clip, then I can use a smooth transition between that clip and the next.

I'm sure I'm not understanding something about effects. Why would you want the choice between applying an effect on its own fx timeline and applying it directly to a clip? Would you use the fx timeline only if you want to have an effect apply to more than one video clip, or...? Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan -

I'm happy to toss in what I know to get the discussion rolling, even though "effects" isn't something I spend a great deal of time on (or, on which I spend... if you're pedantic).

The advantage of being able to apply effects directly to the clip/image/title/PiP object is that multiple effects can be applied if you wish. Using the effects track is limited to a single effect but the duration can be controlled easily.

Using the NB AutoPan effect, I see no difference here - whether it's applied directly to a clip or in the effects track - when playing back through a transition to the next clip. Both play back smoothly with the preview resolution set at full HD. I'm only testing with the Kite Surfer sample clip, mind you.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!