Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cinema Effect
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Canon video camera with a Cinema mode that adds a brownish tint to the video. Has anyone seen an effect like that? I tried placing a brown color board over the video and setting transparency to about 25%, but it just didn't look the same. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Would this be like a Sepia effect?

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Sepia dulled the image, but I just realized it is adjustable, so that may just work. Thanks. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I remember that my old Canon camera had all those undesired effects to choose. Sepia was one of them. See the attached for details in setting them, and adjusting them. I prefer to do all mine in post on powerdirector if desired.

The majority of the early camcorders have those effects because 20 years ago home computers were not fast enough to do video editing so you did the effect in the camcorder and used an editor and a vcr for that.

EDIT: The forum timed out and resubmit did not include the attachment. This forum has been doing a lot of timing out lately.
[Thumb - Canon Cinema p49-50.jpg]
 Filename
Canon Cinema p49-50.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Canon Cinema mode effects selection and adjustments.
 Filesize
238 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
105 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2016 00:09

James Dotson
[Post New]
I prefer to do it in post also. The camera I use now doesn't have those effects. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jaime-esque -

If you could post a screenshot of a scene shot in "Cinema" mode & the same scene shot in "Normal" mode, it would give a better idea of how it filters the video.

The effects tomasc showed are quite different looking effects - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgCriOCYUUE

It's probably possible to create a preset in CDR that could be applied in PDR.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The link Tony supplied is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgCriOCYUUE .

I do recall reading in the old photography and movie making books 30 years ago that doing these effects post production is not nearly as good as doing it at the beginning and the result is different. I remember prism attachment to camera lenses to allow multiple images, color filters to highlight certain colors, using slow shutter speeds and panning to create motion blurs, etc. Depending on the camcorder that you buy one can still have all those effects. It is the digital nature of the dslr and cameras that have made it easier and cheaper to do this over film.

There are many of these effects already in powerdirector like the fx and the Fix/ Enhance/ ColorDirector /Color Effect for those who want to try them post production.
James Dotson
[Post New]
Hanks for the replies. I will get some screenshots and attach them. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I prefer to do it in post also. The camera I use now doesn't have those effects.

Hi, all!

My first videocamera was a mono Hi-8 model by Samsung, which had a number of different inbuilt effects, including mirror(one half of screen inverted left-for-right), but, like many, If I wish to apply such effects, I'd much rather apply them in the editing process. At least that way, I can take the effect off if I don't like it, prior to rendering(producing) my final video.

Cheers!

Neil.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Jaime, the Cinema effect is present on all 3 of my Canons. I never use it, but what it generally does (in it's STANDARD mode) is to flatten the colors a little and also kick in a 24P frame rate (in a 60i container). In addition to the standard mode you can also apply a bunch of filter styles to it, like Vivid, Sepia, etc. Those filters can also be adjusted for intensity. I suspect you had Cinema activated along with one of the filters. You can find examples on YouTube.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 28. 2016 19:52

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Barry -

I just found that switch on my Canon XA20! Never used it! embarassed...

Well - I have now - and mucked around with the 9 available filters.

Jaime-esque - if you have a Cinema switch, you probably have the filters too (standard is the default). What model is your camera?

Cheers - Tony
James Dotson
[Post New]
Sorry, I haven't been on for a few days. My model is a Vixia HF-R100. I will look at it tomorrow in daylight and get a better idea of what I did. I mostly used it just playing around, but now I want to reproduce the effect with myGoPro. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
[Post New]
Jaime-esque -

Does the effect look similar to the attached screenshot? The top pic was shot with no effect. The lower one with Cinema Standard.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Canon Cine Standard.jpg]
 Filename
Canon Cine Standard.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
638 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
69 time(s)

James Dotson
[Post New]
That is very close. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
[Post New]
Jaime-esque -

This is a bit of a stab in the dark because there are too many variables involved. It depends on the particular clip (light conditions etc) and the "look" you're after.

I made these presets in ColorDirector & they can be imported into the Color Presets in PDR's Fix/Enhance module... but a colourist, I ain't!

There are 4 variants - Cinema I, II, III & IV each slightly different than the other. Basically - contrast & saturation down, clarity up, highlights down and shadows a little deeper. Cinema III & IV have a little vignetting applied.

Maybe they'll do the job, or at least get you started.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Cinema Presets.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
288 time(s)

James Dotson
[Post New]
Thanks, I give that a look. I have trying to get a sample, but I have been getting home after dark and they just don't look right. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM