Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Off Topic Chat - Time For A Revival Of This Thread Perhaps!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, All!

I was starting to wonder if Off Topic Chat ever existed on this website, but it did and I, along with many others, was an active participant(in my case since February, 2012). I suggest(respectfully) that it could be time to revive this section of the forum, to discuss video editing in a more general manner(not completely off topic) but less slanted to the particular versions of Power Director, and more toward editing videos in general, for instance, tricks that a contributing poster may have come up with. Some may remember an idea I posted, explaining how to appear and disappear like a ghost in a video. I've virtually made it a "trademark" of my videos.

So, moderators, have a think about it. Let's get Off Topic Chat up and running again.

Cheers!

Neil.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Damn! My little GIF won't display. undecided

It's attached.
[Thumb - Funny Post.gif]
 Filename
Funny Post.gif
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
128 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
118 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 13. 2016 04:41

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Brilliant idea, Neil.

With PD as the fundamental basis, we could share tips and tricks for getting even better results from our cameras and editing program.

It would, I believe, become a very valuable and worthwhile thread, and if used properly would not detract from the original forum posts.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I tried to create a thread some time ago asking such questions about general video characteristics - with the hope of learning how to improve video quality in my editing.

I didn't want to offend those that seem to take offense at those of us with very elemental questions about such issues. I think this sort of thread would help 'free up' any inhibition anyone would have in asking such questions.

'Off Topic Chat' - Good idea if such issues could be discussed in it, as some just want 'resolving PD problems' to be in the main forum- just my opin.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Damn! My little GIF won't display. undecided

It's attached.

Nice one, Tony! A real crack-up! Ha-ha! But seriously, folks, the original Off-Topic chat was exactly as CS2014 described its purpose, for "questions about general video characteristics" and anything else that related to video editing, but wasn't directly related to the various versions of Power Director. For example, I create my own title graphics in Microsoft Paint. I found that certain transition effects applied ahead of and behind them on any of the overlay tracks in PD14 produce some great visual effects effects. All you need is your title graphic produced in bitmap(don't really need PNG), set the white background to "invisible" using chroma-key, set a colour board(any colour but white is best), then drop a transition effect in ahead of and behind it, not all the transitions will work, but some experimentation with black as the background colour and colour board(gotta try a bit of that myself, actually, come to think of it) may be needed as some transitions will put in a black background that masks out the video you're superimposing your title over. Like I said, experimentation needed. But with those that will work with a white background chroma-keyed out, the results can be amazing! If you create a title referring to ghosts, try the ripple 1 effect for instance. You can truly create some jaw-dropping title effects here!

And suggestions like that above would go down well in an Off Topic Chat thread.

Cheers!

Neil.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
deleted entry

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2016 12:22

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: deleted entry

CS

Hi, CS! What happened here? Were you writing a reply that got inadvertantly deleted? I found a trick that works well here, highlight your post's text and copy it to "clipboard"(Ctrl+C), then, if you click "submit" and the system goes into a spasm and your post gets blown into the ether, simply open a new reply panel and paste(Ctrl+V) the text into that new panel. The second time you submit should get through.

Cheers!

Neil.
CS2014
[Post New]
.... had submitted something (in quick reply) and realized it was already stated. SO in order to remove my response I edited the original entry - back-spaced/deleted what I wrote but that leaves a 'empty' response - so I added 'deleted entry'. No conspiracy this time.. lol - no big deal.

CS
PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB