Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions causing stutter with SVRT enabled
scottF123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 12, 2013 00:37 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
When I produce a video and insert transitions (I was using blur), there is a visible stutter right before the blur transition in the produced video. I noticed if I turn off SVRT and then produce, there is no stutter. Wondering how to fix this, as if I turn off SVRT I think it then re-encodes all the video when the video shouldn't have to be re-encoded.

This makes it very inconvenient if I have already edited video and then just want to add different transitions. With SVRT I could do this without re-encoding the videos (and degrading the quality).

I have had a lot of issues with Powerdirector 14 since I recently installed. First crashing all the time, until I uninstalled Nvidia Geforce experience, which isnt exactly ideal... Hopefully there is a fix for this as it's super frustrating to have to make compromises for something that should just work...

Thanks,

Scott

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 11. 2016 14:10

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi scottF123,
The following is just a "thought" come suggestion.
PDR14 open
Select Preferences
Select Hardware Acceleration
Uncheck options.

Need for more info:
Diagnostic
Media data/video edited
Screenshot of project

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2016 04:40

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I opened a ticket and sent uploaded a project pack I think it was called and dxdiag. I will have to try turning off the hardware acceleration options tonight when I get home...

Here is more info from the ticket I created:

So I did a bunch more testing and can tell you exactly how I can repeat this problem. I put 60p clips (on a 60p timeline) and then edit to .4 speed and produce at 24p (for perfect slow motion). So now I have some clips at 24p slow motion that play perfectly with no stuttering. Now I take these slow motion clips and add to a new 24p timeline (as you should), and if I add transitions to them (tried blur and fade), there will be a quick stutter right before the transition in the "produced" file. (the "pack project" folder I uploaded I setup this way). There will be this stutter if I use SVRT.

It produces with no stutter if I do the same but don't use SVRT, but then I am re-encoding files that shouldn't have to be (and this degrades the quality).

Also, If I do the same thing but with 60p clips and can use SVRT and there will be no stutter before the same transitions (blurs and fade), so there is clearly some bug here when doing as I outline above.

Also another small bug I noticed. If you use the "show svrt track" in the timeline it will show green color for what can use SVRT and red for what wont. But the bug is it will not refresh/update when you add another clip to your timeline, the green or red line disappear, and you have to uncheck and recheck "show svrt track" to get these colored lines to appear again.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Also another small bug I noticed. If you use the "show svrt track" in the timeline it will show green color for what can use SVRT and red for what wont. But the bug is it will not refresh/update when you add another clip to your timeline, the green or red line disappear, and you have to uncheck and recheck "show svrt track" to get these colored lines to appear again.

Just do an alt S and you'll see the svrt info. after adding a clip. You don't want svrt to auto refresh because it could take several minutes to recalculate and slow down your editing.
scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Also another small bug I noticed. If you use the "show svrt track" in the timeline it will show green color for what can use SVRT and red for what wont. But the bug is it will not refresh/update when you add another clip to your timeline, the green or red line disappear, and you have to uncheck and recheck "show svrt track" to get these colored lines to appear again.

Just do an alt S and you'll see the svrt info. after adding a clip. You don't want svrt to auto refresh because it could take several minutes to recalculate and slow down your editing.

Thanks for the tip! Hopefully there will be a fix for the stutter issue...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2016 14:02

GS kid
Newbie Location: Santa Barbara county, California Joined: Oct 24, 2015 22:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I stopped using SVRT quite early on because of the random hiccups it would add to my videos. It may have been during transitions but I can't remember. I just know that it happened often enough that I stopped using it cuz I couldn't depend on it to give me flawless video consistently. I use the Intel Sync option and it seems to give me a decent render speed increase without the hiccups issues.

I can't wait to see when they get that hiccup issue fixed cuz SVRT is blazing fast otherwise. Though I highly doubt they even know it's a problem or are even working on it even if they do know. Time will tell. But as far as I'm concerned.... SVRT is broken. Cuz I'm not publishing my videos with hiccups in them. Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod
Vello VB-1000 ActionPan Stabilizing Action Grip
PowerDirector 14
Intel i7-4510u w/8GB RAM Nvidia GTX 850M w/4GB

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi yes, thanks.

I am more concerned with SVRT causing stutters not so much for the speed of using SVRT, but rather because not using it re-encodes the clips which degrades the quality. (SVRT skips re-encoding those parts).

I recently made a lot of slow motion clips I might reuse in different things with different transitions and things and don't want them to get encoded again when they are used, when they shouldnt have to be...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 12. 2016 20:49

GS kid
Newbie Location: Santa Barbara county, California Joined: Oct 24, 2015 22:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi yes, thanks.

I am more concerned with SVRT causing stutters not so much for the speed of using SVRT, but rather because not using it re-encodes the clips which degrades the quality. (SVRT skips re-encoding those parts).

I recently made a lot of slow motion clips I might reuse in different things with different transitions and things and don't want them to get encoded again when they are used, when they shouldnt have to be...

While I'm not an "EXPERT", I am pretty well versed in most things about video technology. But your worry about degradation of video quality from a re-encode? I guess it depends on what you are doing with it.

For instance... My Sony AX100 camcorder records 4K at my choice of a 60Mbps or a 100Mbps video bitrate. I always have it set to 100Mbps cuz I want the original video clip to be of the highest quality. Even when there isn't enough movement of the filming subject to technically justify such a high bit rate, I just leave it set at 100Mbps anyways.

Now it records this in Sony's XAVC-S format. I edit and then render out to the same 4K 100Mbps XAVC-S format. If I then (always maintaining the same resolution, bitrate and file format) take that rendered clip and re-render it.... and then again re-render that re-rendered clip..... are your eyes gonna be able to tell it's a 3rd generation clip compared to the 1st generation clip? I highly doubt it. It's not the obvious generational degradation you would notice with analog video.

Where I guess the most chance of degradation of video is to appear is when the video changes resolution, bit rate, codecs and maybe file format. But I can't see the chance of much visual impact on a clip when I re-render that clip using the same exact resolution, bit rate, codec and file format as the source clip.

So for me personally....SVRT would be more about speed than the video quality issue. Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod
Vello VB-1000 ActionPan Stabilizing Action Grip
PowerDirector 14
Intel i7-4510u w/8GB RAM Nvidia GTX 850M w/4GB

Terminal [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 30, 2015 22:38 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I produce a video and insert transitions (I was using blur), there is a visible stutter right before the blur transition in the produced video. I noticed if I turn off SVRT and then produce, there is no stutter. Wondering how to fix this, as if I turn off SVRT I think it then re-encodes all the video when the video shouldn't have to be re-encoded.

This makes it very inconvenient if I have already edited video and then just want to add different transitions. With SVRT I could do this without re-encoding the videos (and degrading the quality).

I have had a lot of issues with Powerdirector 14 since I recently installed. First crashing all the time, until I uninstalled Nvidia Geforce experience, which isnt exactly ideal... Hopefully there is a fix for this as it's super frustrating to have to make compromises for something that should just work...

Thanks,

Scott

Hi, scott. I just did a test with an AVCHD MTS file using SVRT by splitting the file twice, inserting the blur FX in the middle clipped piece and checked it with ALT-S to verify the only part being rendered is the blur FX effect on the specific chunk of the clip. I do not notice any stutter at all after I produce it and is smooth like its supposed to be.

I really like SVRT because it is not only fast, but it preserves the original qualify of the video by not re-encoding it. I'm interested in your problem and I too, hate stuttering. What type of video clips are you using?

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2016 07:16

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks GS and Terminal. GS, yes, I just liken the re-encoding to saving a jpeg over and over. Its just something I wouldnt want to do. Maybe it would be hard to distinguish in a clip like you said, but I really dont like the idea. I dont want the original altered at all... If SVRT was working right I could reuse clips over and over if I wanted in all different things and never have to worry about that.

Terminal- I dont get the stutter when I tested with clips at 60p regular speed. Here is how I get the stutter every time:

In powerdirector: take 60p (AVCHD) footage (put on a 60p timeline) and change the video speed to .40 and produce at 24p (This makes for nice smooth slow motion clips as 60x.4=24).

Next, I take these (perfectly smooth) 24p slow motion clips and add to a new 24p timeline. I then add transitions and produce to output at 24p.

The resulting videos play perfectly until right before the transition kicks in. There will be a small hiccup or stutter right before each transition. (I used blur and fade).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2016 12:46

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks GS and Terminal. GS, yes, I just liken the re-encoding to saving a jpeg over and over. Its just something I wouldnt want to do. Maybe it would be hard to distinguish in a clip like you said, but I really dont like the idea. I dont want the original altered at all... If SVRT was working right I could reuse clips over and over if I wanted in all different things and never have to worry about that.

Terminal- I dont get the stutter when I tested with clips at 60p regular speed. Here is how I get the stutter every time:

In powerdirector: take 60p (AVCHD) footage (put on a 60p timeline) and change the video speed to .40 and produce at 24p (This makes for nice smooth slow motion clips as 60x.4=24).

Next, I take these (perfectly smooth) 24p slow motion clips and add to a new 24p timeline. I then add transitions and produce to output at 24p.

The resulting videos play perfectly until right before the transition kicks in. There will be a small hiccup or stutter right before each transition. (I used blur and fade).

I took a AVCHD 60p 28mb/s MTS file that I made, slowed it down to .40 speed and produced it into a M2TS 24p 16mb/s file. After trying to load the new 24p file in the media section, a random PD14 crash occurred, LOL! Trying again... After restarting PD14 fresh, I loaded the new M2TS 24p file in to media content and added it to the timeline. I sliced it up and added transistion fade to one section, added a blur FX to another section and another random FX gizmo to another section and produced it again at 24p using SVRT for the unmodified sections according to ALT-S. Do these instructions sound like what you did?

After all that, I still did not see any stutter. Do you have a sample video of your problem to download, Scott? You may have some codec issues. Are all of your codecs up to date?

P.S. Another crash playing around with different frame rates and files and SVRT info. Hmmm.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2016 15:02

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Thanks GS and Terminal. GS, yes, I just liken the re-encoding to saving a jpeg over and over. Its just something I wouldnt want to do. Maybe it would be hard to distinguish in a clip like you said, but I really dont like the idea. I dont want the original altered at all... If SVRT was working right I could reuse clips over and over if I wanted in all different things and never have to worry about that.

I took a AVCHD 60p 28mb/s MTS file that I made, slowed it down to .40 speed and produced it into a M2TS 24p 16mb/s file. After trying to load the new 24p file in the media section, a random PD14 crash occurred, LOL! Trying again... After restarting PD14 fresh, I loaded the new M2TS 24p file in to media content and added it to the timeline. I sliced it up and added transistion fade to one section, added a blur FX to another section and another random FX gizmo to another section and produced it again at 24p using SVRT for the unmodified sections according to ALT-S. Do these instructions sound like what you did?

After all that, I still did not see any stutter. Do you have a sample video of your problem to download, Scott? You may have some codec issues. Are all of your codecs up to date?

P.S. Another crash playing around with different frame rates and files and SVRT info. Hmmm.

Hello, its close to what I did, except all my clips were already saved (I didn’t split them and then produce), and everything except the transitions themselves were using SVRT.

I tried what Dafydd B suggested and tested turning off the hardware acceleration options, and same stutter.

I put up a clip here: <a>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9vGRJKOqJn3YTFHNm1CdGljZ28</a>

You can even see the stutter when its streamed from there, or you can download... I used blur transitions modified with the max blur level turned down to 100 (makes stutter easier to notice at 100, but is still there at the default of 200), and then closed with "fade". Keep in mind the stutters are really subtle (but I notice immediately) and they happen just before the transitions.

I get the same stutter when I use Windows media player or VLC media player. About the codecs, I don’t know. I downloaded codec packs long ago… . I don’t really know how to check and update from any site that seems trustworthy. They all seem to try to get you to install a “download manager” or other spyware/malware But I haven’t seen this stutter in any other videos or had any other video issues, even others that I produce in powerdirector other than the exact way I describe here… So doesnt seem likely its a codec issue, but I know little about them...

PS- About your crashes- you dont have Nvidia Geforce Experience software installed do you? I learned the hard way having that installed causes PowerDirector to crash over and over...

Thanks

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2016 23:33

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Hello, its close to what I did, except all my clips were already saved (I didn’t split them and then produce), and everything except the transitions themselves were using SVRT.

I tried what Dafydd B suggested and tested turning off the hardware acceleration options, and same stutter.

I put up a clip here: <a>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9vGRJKOqJn3YTFHNm1CdGljZ28</a>

You can even see the stutter when its streamed from there, or you can download... I used blur transitions modified with the max blur level turned down to 100 (makes stutter easier to notice at 100, but is still there at the default of 200), and then closed with "fade". Keep in mind the stutters are really subtle (but I notice immediately) and they happen just before the transitions.

I get the same stutter when I use Windows media player or VLC media player. About the codecs, I don’t know. I downloaded codec packs long ago… . I don’t really know how to check and update from any site that seems trustworthy. They all seem to try to get you to install a “download manager” or other spyware/malware But I haven’t seen this stutter in any other videos or had any other video issues, even others that I produce in powerdirector other than the exact way I describe here… So doesnt seem likely its a codec issue, but I know little about them...

PS- About your crashes- you dont have Nvidia Geforce Experience software installed do you? I learned the hard way having that installed causes PowerDirector to crash over and over...

Thanks

Ok, my friend. I see it in your video and in mine. I immediately saw it the timeline and by cutting 1 frame out of the clip cured that stutter effect. However, when stacking transisions fade and blurr, in production, it adds an extra frame causing the the illusion of stutter for the final product. I was able to reproduce this effect by cutting your transistions out of the source video essentially making new clips to start with that are obvisouly shorter and then reapplied the fade and stacked blurr. The extra frame doesn't occur until after the video is produced with transistions.

So, you are correct. There is an error in production causing an extra frame to be added when using transisions, and yes, it does look bad, so I hope Cyberlink fixes it. One more thing to mention is that I don't have time right now at the moment to experiment with is the bitrate and duration times that you chose for your video. I guessed 1 second for the durations which yours may have been 1.4 or so and mine seemed a tad off. Also, you must have made a custom 24000 bitrate for your 24 FPS file because I didn't see a default entry in PD14. I had to make a custom 1080p 24FPS with 24000 bitrate to make SVRT work with your file.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 09:21

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Ok, my friend. I see it in your video and in mine. I immediately saw it the timeline and by cutting 1 frame out of the clip cured that stutter effect. However, when stacking transisions fade and blurr, in production, it adds an extra frame causing the the illusion of stutter for the final product. I was able to reproduce this effect by cutting your transistions out of the source video essentially making new clips to start with that are obvisouly shorter and then reapplied the fade and stacked blurr. The extra frame doesn't occur until after the video is produced with transistions.

So, you are correct. There is an error in production causing an extra frame to be added when using transisions, and yes, it does look bad, so I hope Cyberlink fixes it. One more thing to mention is that I don't have time right now at the moment to experiment with is the bitrate and duration times that you chose for your video. I guessed 1 second for the durations which yours may have been 1.4 or so and mine seemed a tad off. Also, you must have made a custom 24000 bitrate for your 24 FPS file because I didn't see a default entry in PD14. I had to make a custom 1080p 24FPS with 24000 bitrate to make SVRT work with your file.

Yes, I did make a custom profile for my camera video, and I did modify these transitions a bit as you speculated, but I get the same stutter with the transition defaults.

You mention "stacking" transitions, but if you mean applying more than one transition at the same place, I did not do that. Maybe you just mean applying more than one transition in a produced video...

Hopefully Cyberlink support engineers look at these forums posts to see your response about the extra frame as maybe that can help them fix it... I thought I could copy your response into the support ticket I had opened for this issue, but no go there... It appears I can only add to the ticket a single time for each of their replies (lame). Their online support hasnt been any help for any of the tickets I opened so far. I last uploaded a project pack or something as they requested but no reply yet. If I had to guess by the responses, I would guess its overseas support where the people providing the support are just reading from manuals or a support database and have no real product or engineering knowledge.

Thanks
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Actually, the problem is worse than just a transitions problem, there is a rendering problem that I deem critical. The produced file I generated using your clip adds random frames thoughout the video causing a stutter effect in new places besides the transition locations. Not only can I see new spots of stutter in the player, I can pinpoint it in the new video I produced with PD14 in the timeline which has actually inserted new doubled frames! WHY is this happening?

Scott, did you slow the original file down to 24fps? Im thinking this might be a timing issue and PD14 is adding frames to keep itself in sync. This is really eating at me now. I need to experiment with some pure 60FPS clips files now.

To clarify stacking, I meant applying a fade on the selected clip first then actually stacking the blur transition right on top of the fade transition.

I'm afraid to admit it, but I believe GS Kid may indeed be correct that SVRT is broken.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 15:52

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Actually, the problem is worse than just a transitions problem, there is a rendering problem that I deem critical. The produced file I generated using your clip adds random frames thoughout the video causing a stutter effect in new places besides the transition locations. Not only can I see new spots of stutter in the player, I can pinpoint it in the new video I produced with PD14 in the timeline which has actually inserted new doubled frames! WHY is this happening?

Scott, did you slow the original file down to 24fps? Im thinking this might be a timing issue and PD14 is adding frames to keep itself in sync. This is really eating at me now. I need to experiment with some pure 60FPS clips files now.

To clarify stacking, I meant applying a fade on the selected clip first then actually stacking the blur transition right on top of the fade transition.

I'm afraid to admit it, but I believe GS Kid may indeed be correct that SVRT is broken.

I didn't stack one transition on top of the other in my clips... Here is exactly how I made that clip and can repeat the issue:

I put 60p clips (on a 60p timeline) and then set video speed to .4 speed and produce at 24p (60 x .4 = 24). So now I have
some clips at 24p slow motion that play perfectly with no stuttering. Now I take these slow motion clips and add to a new 24p timeline and combine them and produce.

If I produce these combined clips using no transitions but use SVRT, they play fine. Or if I produce them using the transitions but turn off SVRT, they also play fine.

Its only when I use SVRT with transitions that I get the stutter issue in the produced files of the combined clips.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 16:36

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Actually, the problem is worse than just a transitions problem, there is a rendering problem that I deem critical. The produced file I generated using your clip adds random frames thoughout the video causing a stutter effect in new places besides the transition locations. Not only can I see new spots of stutter in the player, I can pinpoint it in the new video I produced with PD14 in the timeline which has actually inserted new doubled frames! WHY is this happening?

I didn't stack one transition on top of the other in my clips... Here is exactly how I made that clip and can repeat the issue:

I put 60p clips (on a 60p timeline) and then set video speed to .4 speed and produce at 24p (60 x .4 = 24). So now I have
some clips at 24p slow motion that play perfectly with no stuttering. Now I take these slow motion clips and add to a new 24p timeline and combine then and produce.

These produces files play perfectly- smooth with no stutter when produced with no transitions between the clips, or when not using SVRT.

Its only when I use SVRT with transitions do I get the stutter issue in the produced files of the combined clips.

Scott

But did you take that clip I got from you and slice up and try to produce it again to see if it happens then? I'm going to have to experiment with it. I just got this software about 2 weeks ago. I've run in to several crashing issues, reverse fading transition and now this random double frame issue when producing the video being the most critical.

BTW, my hardware is still pretty beastly in 2016 since I bought it new in 2012 except the new video card which was this past summer. I have an Intel 3960x hexacore with HT (12 threads) and it's beautiful watching those little threads work their little hearts out @ 100% prosessing this video stuff. 32GB of 2133mhz Gskill Quad channel ram thanks to the 2011 cpu socket. 980ti 6GB video card. 2x240GB Samsung Pro SSDs for the OS in RAID 0 and two 2x120GB Corsair GT SSDs in RAID 0 for scrap video processing. Windows 10 64bit which I hate, should have stayed with Win7.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 16:48

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No I hadn't taken the sample clip I posted and chop it up and try again, because the problem is repeatable with different clips I have already tried... If done in the way mentioned here...

Hopefully they can come up with a fix, because I like having these "portable" slow motion clips I can then mix and match later, and I dont want to re-encode them every time and diminish the quality...

Sounds like a nice machine!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 18:21

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Scott, can you provide me the source 60FPS MTS clip? Your steady camera clip is very good, much better than I can replicate here when I tried to make a slomo of my guitar. It's easy to see skips/stutter with your video clip queuing back and forth in the timeline. I'm testing a lot here and can't make a clip that smooth with the equipment I have and need a pure source like your video that is smooth for testing at 60 fps and processing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 20:25

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Scott, can you provide me the source 60FPS MTS clip? Your steady camera clip is very good, much better than I can replicate here when I tried to make a slomo of my guitar. It's easy to see skips/stutter with your video clip queuing back and forth in the timeline. I'm testing a lot here and can't make a clip that smooth with the equipment I have and need a pure source like your video that is smooth for testing at 60 fps and processing.

Sure- Here is straight from the camera that I used for some of the clips in the sample I posted. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vGRJKOqJn3RTc5U1ZqcDFXS0U/view?usp=sharing

Keep in mind, working with it at 60p I have no problems with any stutter. Only when slowed and then with transitions and SVRT do you get the stutter (as I detailed previously).

Hopefully support engineers are looking at this and can fix the problem..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 23:22