Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UHD Blu-ray
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
After reading this.

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/company/press-news-content.do?pid=3926

Does this also mean that the present BDXL drives will be able to read the new UHD-Blu-ray discs, or are there going to be UHD readers fro HTPC's ?

Anyone from Cyberlink care to comment ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2016 02:01

nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
Many bluray drives wont be able to do the bitrates for it. Just doing simple maths should have answered your own question. With 128 Mbps in the spec for UHD bluray, many readers on the market now simply cant keep pace. Thats 16 mega bytes per second read. Then add ontop everything else it has to get data for in real time. My current drive struggles to do 7 MB a second sustained.

Hey Cyberlink, how about when your go about developing the next version for UHD support, how about you write code that actually passes the MS platform readiness tests. It simply not good enough that your current and historic builds fail the microsoft device driver verification tests. You cant be certified for windows under these failures. I sympathise why your forced into device drivers and the DRM stuff with all the licencing for bluray, but atleast next time can you do a pro job on it without the hassles of the current versions youve released upon customers, thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2016 03:06

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You say 128 Mbps, then you say 16 mega bytes per second, which is it ?
Or is it a type "0".
Do you mean 128 Gb capacity ?
nullack [Avatar]
[Post New]
LOL, its both 128 Mbps and 16 megabytes per second. No I dont mean 128 GB, Bits and bytes - note I didnt say 128 MBps I said 128 Mbps.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Many bluray drives wont be able to do the bitrates for it. Just doing simple maths should have answered your own question. With 128 Mbps in the spec for UHD bluray, many readers on the market now simply cant keep pace. Thats 16 mega bytes per second read. Then add ontop everything else it has to get data for in real time. My current drive struggles to do 7 MB a second sustained.

Hi, I've noticed my external-powered USB 3.0 bluray drive pumping out 30 megabytes per second plus while ripping so it will be interesting to see if it's up to the task in the future.
nullack [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes yours has good headroom on the read speed based on the UHD bluray spec. On that measure alone, it'll be hit and miss for particular drives.

What I dont know fellas is all the low level details thats not shared in the public spec. The 128 Mbps is part of the public spec so thats an easy one. Only signatories who pay the UHD licencing fees get access to the detailed info. So I dont know for example if the optical disc will need a new lens. And who's to say what will be done in the encryption / DRM space which might require a new drive just for the sake of some sort of new security feature that does something like enforce bus encryption in an advanced way.

I've bought PowerDVD for many generations of Cyberlinks history. Frankly its been getting worse each generation with bugs and missing features. I genuinely hope that Cyberlink kick it out of the park and really do a great job on a UHD bluray player. Is thats the case I'll avoid buying a standalone UHD player. But for sure Ill be doiing a trial when UHD powerdvd is released and not just buying it off the bat. If the trial isnt awesome, Im gunna ditch the approach of disc based playback on a HTPC to a standalone UHD player. Its just not worth the time in debugging and all the workarounds foe software defects. EVen if you do spend the time engaging Cyberlink support with a ticket, sometimes all they do for years on end is refer it to their engineers but never release a fix, like with deinterlacing.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
There's this one.

http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BH14NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

http://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/BH14NS40.pdfhttp://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/BH14NS40.pdf

If you look at the spec sheet, it says "Sustained" "BD-ROM > 62.93 MB/s (>14x)"

I don't know if I'm reading that right though.

At any rate if Cyberlink is going to have a UHD-Blu-ray version, it will be interesting to see what will be available as a reader.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 06. 2016 22:48