Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Comment on locked forum - Windows 10 & Compatibility Problems
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Gee, Microsoft has been copping a hammering of late. Just reading through a few of the comments in that locked thread proves it. No wonder the thread was locked after 5 pages of comments. Seems to me Microsoft has a lot of "homework" to catch up on. Perhaps(and this seems often to be the case) they launched Windows 10 too soon and it still had several unresolved issues, and this sort of situation would, likely as not, go all the way back to the launch of Windows 95 all those years back. Those "unresolved issues" are apparently playing merry hell with users of Cyberlink product(particularly Power Director). Some may be blaming Cyberlink, others are blaming Microsoft, but it could be a mix of both. As for me, I'm still using Windows 7 and am running PD8 Ultra and PD14 Ultra(as well as a few other third-party video software programmes) on that platform. I won't be stepping up to Windows 10 until the computer I now use "carks it". By that time I'd expect Windows 10 itself to be superceded by Windows 12 or later version(s).

Cheers!

Neil
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil, I think you're analysis is pretty accurate. I've felt for a long time that Windows is hamstrung by some basic flaws in its architecture that go way back. Anyone who has used any of the early Mac operating system versions will immediately see Windows shortcomings. To some extent these were the result of attempts to get around limitations in the amounts of memory and hard disc space at that time. Now those limitations no longer apply but backward compatibility means that these bad design decisions are still with us. Like you I don't intend to jump on the Windows 10 bandwagon for a number of reasons and when it no longer becomes practicable to run Windows 7 I'll be looking to something like Linux. I just wish Cyberlink would port Power Director to it then I'd jump ship now.

When Windows 10 was released I read that this was to be the final version of Windows. I don't know what Microsoft see as the future of operating systems, maybe they think that desktop computing has no future but I don't personally see how such functions as video editing and CAD can be done on anything less than a beefy desktop system (in which I include powerful laptops). Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
...so while we (the three of us) do not like to advance too soon toward uncertain 'progress', I am pretty glad there are a LOT of people that do - so that I don't HAVE TO! Ha!

Think it's like I've mentioned on a different thread, I recognize I don't half to have the latest and greatest - and like to see the issues work out before I'd change things.

I'm glad that I don't have the job that requires me to have the newest hardware of software - and I'm glad so many want to do just that.

I think this is the second time I've seen this or similar conversation in the threads. I realize it's not malicious comment (Neil's and Mike's and mine), but I think I start to sound like I'm just complaining and not trying to resolve things if I keep repeating something over and over again - just my personal opinion. I'm glad there are similar 'thinkers' though in here.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2016 10:52

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using computers since about 1983. My first computer was a Radio Shack Color Computer. Well, that was not much computer. it was a Motorola CPU only 64 MEGABYES of RAM and no commercial programs. It was a hobby computer, not good for any serious computing.

Today my computers are mostly Windows 7 computers. I have no plans at this time to jump to Windows 10. I tried Windows 8.1, that was a terrible user interface on a desktop.

Now I like the Windows 7 platform, it works and is stable. Powerdirector through PD 14 works well on Windows 7.

Thanks for listening, Carl

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2016 22:44

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, it seems we're all agreed, thanks, guys!

Someone, somewhere once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", Obviously, no-one at Microsoft had heard that little gem of wisdom.

Mike(Fenman), It would be good if Windows 10 was the last version, then Microsoft would only have that platform to (periodically) update as required, and we, the end users, wouldn't have to be "chasing our tails" trying to get the latest and greatest. We could settle down to what we're familiar with and stop stressing because we know how the thing works and what we could do n it and with it.

Carl, I too have seen Windows 8 and thought it to be a mess. I decided to give Windows 8 the flick-pass and went instead to Windows 7 for the replacement for my old Windows XP-based computer, predominantly because of the similar presentation between XP and 7 platforms. 8 looked almost like a throwback to 3.1 but without the ease of finding wanted files or documents, or programmes. As i said, it was a mess.

CS, I'm almost certain that this discussion has turned up in more than two different threads. It's clearly an ongoing concern for a lot of us. A lot of the concern seems to centre around Windows 10's compatibility with PD14. This theme keeps popping up in several questions posted here of late.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Cheers!

Neil.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,

My first home personal computer was a BBC micro that used a 6502 CPU. I did a fair bit of programming on that both in BBC BASIC and assembler. At work I also used, and programmed, a monochrome Radio Shack TRS80 that used the Z80 CPU. That had three 5.25" floppy drives and a BASIC interpreter as well as compilers for Fortran, Pascal (remember that?) and assembler. I can't remember how much RAM though. Apart from that I serviced, repaired and did a bit of programming on a series of DEC PDP-11 and VAX computers at work, again in Fortran and assembler. The VAX operating system was VMS which was developed by a team some of whom, I believe, were later employed by Microsoft to develop the pre-emptive multi-tasking kernel for later versions of Windows. In later years I programmed almost exclusively in C and 8086 assembler. Since retirement I haven't had much opportunity so have largely forgotten all I learned ("use it or lose it" undecided).

Although I would certainly not claim to be able to understand the complexities of the modern operating systems I think I know enough to realise some of the shortcomings of the Windows architecture. In a scenario reminiscent of VHS versus Betamax and Video2000 Windows has trumped potentially superior operating systems by virtue of financial clout and has garnered a market share that makes it almost impossible for competing products to gain a foothold. In my opinion both Linux and MacOs (based on a Unix kernel) are superior but very much a niche/enthusiast market.

As I said earlier if Cyberlink ported PD to Linux I'd junk Windows tomorrow. Apart from video editing virtually everything I do can be done with open-source applications on Linux. In fact most of the apps I use under Windows are the same ones. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Carl,

My first home personal computer was a BBC micro that used a 6502 CPU. I did a fair bit of programming on that both in BBC BASIC and assembler. At work I also used, and programmed, a monochrome Radio Shack TRS80 that used the Z80 CPU. That had three 5.25" floppy drives and a BASIC interpreter as well as compilers for Fortran, Pascal (remember that?) and assembler. I can't remember how much RAM though. Apart from that I serviced, repaired and did a bit of programming on a series of DEC PDP-11 and VAX computers at work, again in Fortran and assembler. The VAX operating system was VMS which was developed by a team some of whom, I believe, were later employed by Microsoft to develop the pre-emptive multi-tasking kernel for later versions of Windows. In later years I programmed almost exclusively in C and 8086 assembler. Since retirement I haven't had much opportunity so have largely forgotten all I learned ("use it or lose it" undecided).
Your experience is much the same as my early experience. I did some expermenting with Intel Micros. The programming was pure Assembly language. I used TASM, A Table Driven Cross Assembler. Some of the processors I was programming was Intel: 8048, Z80. A 6502 was supported also. I never worked in IBM Systems.

Although I would certainly not claim to be able to understand the complexities of the modern operating systems I think I know enough to realise some of the shortcomings of the Windows architecture. In a scenario reminiscent of VHS versus Betamax and Video2000 Windows has trumped potentially superior operating systems by virtue of financial clout and has garnered a market share that makes it almost impossible for competing products to gain a foothold. In my opinion both Linux and MacOs (based on a Unix kernel) are superior but very much a niche/enthusiast market.
I sure do not know the internals of Microsoft Windows, it left me behind, I could understand DOS pretty well and did some programming in DOS OS. I ported Disk copying from other brands of computers to IBM style Disks. I copied Color computer disks to IBM format (Data only) and is also copied Coleco Adam disks to IBM format (Data).

As I said earlier if Cyberlink ported PD to Linux I'd junk Windows tomorrow. Apart from video editing virtually everything I do can be done with open-source applications on Linux. In fact most of the apps I use under Windows are the same ones.
I am not familar with Linux. I have seen some of the programs for Linux that are Windows equivalent, Open Office is similar to Microsoft Office.

Carl

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2016 15:49

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Mike & Carl!

My first proper experience of computers was through a Windows 95 set-up belonging to my eldest brother(no video editing, he wasn't into that), I later "inherited" an older Windows 3.11-based computer from a friend I'd made at the community radio station I joined in 1997 after she got a new computer running Windows 95. Again I didn't do any video editing as that old 3.11 beast wouldn't have had enough "grunt" for such tasks, and didn't have any disc burning drives in any case. It wasn't until I had the XP-based computer that I first got into video editing, initially with a programme called NTI Video Editor(ssomething like that). Then I came across Power Director 5, limited in its scope as it was, it was far superior to NTI, and from there on I got right into video editing... and it's all your fault, Cyberlink, for getting me hooked on this habit... ha-ha! Over that time I pretty-much taught myself how to use the various programmes and while I'm quite competent at using programmes like Power Director(from Vers.5 through to 14), the "innards" of a computer are, for me, a foreign country that I do not have the necessary visa to enter, so I leave the servicing side of my computer to those who truly know that side of the business.

Cheers!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Xp was years late getting to market. Since then Microsoft has been determined to push out a new release every two years. Makes it hard for companies like CyberLink to put out stable products when the OS is not stable. Apple is not much better. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Jaime!

Gotta say I've never really cottoned on to Apple Mac, probably because the mouse has only one button(no left- or right-click), which would make using Power Director on such a sysetem a bit hard, as left- and right-clicking are required to perform several of the functions in PD, whichever version. Windows 8 looked totally alien to what had gone before it. XP, Millenium, Windows 2000, Windows 98 and 95 were all the same in start-up and shut-down proceedure, the tradition carried on to Windows 7, but Windows 8 was a radical departure from the norm and that's likely why a lot of people rejected it. Windows 10 seemed to get back to familiar territory, but with a bit of Windows 8 ideas still floating around in there, but for Power Director users, the new platform seems to have created quite a few headaches, as witnessed by the comments in the locked forum, and, I think, a couple of your comments are in there as well, Jaime.

Cheers!

Neil.
Fenman
[Post New]
*This* together with the inability to control updates, are the two principal reasons I will never upgrade to Windows 10.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 07. 2016 12:21

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system: