Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 12 and Windows 10
gpblancs [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North West England Joined: Dec 01, 2012 14:22 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I was using PD12 on a 32bit Windows 7 pc with 4 gb ram and it worked ok. A few hiccups here and there but generally ok.

But with the advent of windows 10 it was time to update my os.

But before I did I contated Cyberlink support to see if PD12 would work with w10 and they came to me to say that it was not compatible and that I neede to upgrade to the current version for a discounted price.

Now I only do pretty simple video editing maybe twice a year and only for personal use so I don't really need a piece of software with more bells and whistles that I probably won't use and if it's a bit quicker, so what.

So did the upgrade from w7 pro to w10 pro and increased the ram to 8gb. Updated all necessary drivers but everything else on the pc is the same.

Next I installed PD12 and it worked. I did a small project, about 1 hr run time, and while I haven't outputted it yet I can see no reason why that action won't work as well.

So I wonder makes Cyberlink Support thinks it won't run on w10?
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
Me using PD12 on W7Pro.
Not interested to upgrade to w10 and P14 for similar reasons you are (using not so often for a no profit association).
I suppose they say is not working simply since was not tested to, and Cyb as a small company did not have any compelling reason to backtest his 2 years old products into new OS. Might be wrong.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2015 08:51

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: But with the advent of windows 10 it was time to update my os.

Why do you say this? Windows 10 does not have the media center for TV recordings, free dvd player, win sidebar, and movie maker. Obviously you have no need and don't use those functions available in win 7.

Certain functions are faster in PD12 while others may be faster in PD14. It is up to each user to determine what they want.
gpblancs [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North West England Joined: Dec 01, 2012 14:22 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]

I'm no Microsoft advocate but w10 is better that w7 and it certainly runs my pc faster with w7.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
It may be true on your pc but I doubt it for many users. See this article: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows-7 . I can see having a newer DX12 gpu on a gaming 64 bit windows 10 pc with more memory for the latest games. That is what we want.
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]

I think you guys are missing the whole point of my post.

I wonder why Cyberlink Support say PD12 is not compatible with W10?

Any takers?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I think you guys are missing the whole point of my post.

I wonder why Cyberlink Support say PD12 is not compatible with W10?

Any takers?

I'm not a taker but I have read about a lot of issues with W10 and non-current software and have run into a couple myself.

W10 and W8.1 with updates including security updates had a lot of internal changes that most people won't notice. I can no longer run one program that I used to make slide shows. Roboform works with IE but not Edge.

Just to let you know that the program will probably work with W10 until one day it won't. That cannot be fixed so any projects you are working with may not be compatible with any changes you chose to fix the problem,

Having said that, I am using PD 12 with W10 successfully BUT I do finish projects as soon as possible. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]

stevek thanks for the info. I too have a couple of pieces of software that won't run on w10 as well but I don't really need them.

I will bear your info in mind and complete this current project asap.

And when PD12 won't work with w10 that I will have to update it.

Once again thanks
ROBIN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 21, 2015 17:25 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just finished a project on PD12 on W10 and tried to CREATE DISC option was greyed out and not an option. I contacted customer support and they said PD12 was not compatible with W10 and I needed to upgrade to PD14. Why would I be allowed to create a project, have all the full features available and then not be able to burn a disc?
Any help would be appreciated since this was supposed to be a Christmas gift.
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hmmm. I will have to try to create disc on my project and see what happens.

I'll let you know.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm using PowerDirector 12 on a W10 computer without a problem -- so far. See the above discussion. Is your version up to date? What level do you have? Have you tried to reinstall it?

If you can get Create Disc to open, create a folder set from your project and then download the free copy of Cyberlink's Power2Go.

That should burn the folder set to a disc. The free version has all the features of the full version for a 15 day trial. After that some of the fewatures are disbaled. I have used the Power2Go full eversion on W10.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2015 07:04

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]

Just completed the project I referred to in the posts above and created a dvd without any problem.

So my setup works fine.

Why Robins' setup won't create a disc is a mystery to me.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone. I have been using PD12 Ultimate on my Windows 7 Pro computer since it was released, without issue. A few weeks ago, I did a "clean install" of Windows 10 Pro x64, using the Windows Media Creation Tool, and then reinstalled all of my programs and data. Initially, PD12 launched fine. After reading this thread a couple of days ago, I decided to see if I could burn BDs. Guess what?

I got the dreaded "PD12 has stopped working" error, immediately after PD12 launched. It could have been a recent Windows 10 update that "killed" PD12, but suddenly it was useless to me. Thankfully, Cyberlink has a great Christmas sale, so I purchased PD14 Ultimate, ColorDirector 4, and they threw in AudioDirector 6, along with some other goodies. PD14 appears to be working fine on Windows 10.

I think SteveK has the right idea. You don't know when a Windows 10 update is going to knock out PD12 or PD13, so if you are working on a project, do it quickly. Fortunately, the .pds files created from pre-PD14 versions are backwards-compatible, so if you have to bite the bullet and upgrade, you can still finish your project and burn it.

PowerDirector is a very sophisticated beast, so I was not surprised when PD12 just stopped working on my computer.

Just sharing my experience. Others may have better luck with older version of PD and Windows 10.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thankfully, Cyberlink has a great Christmas sale, so I purchased PD14 Ultimate, ColorDirector 4, and they threw in AudioDirector 6, along with some other goodies. PD14 appears to be working fine on Windows 10.

Just sharing my experience. Others may have better luck with older version of PD and Windows 10.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

garioch7 - Thanks for your reply to this forum. I have been using PD since version 9 and had the misconception that the MVP's are compensated by up to $1000 value in free software each year. Thought the reason that you stayed with PD12 is that you found it to be more stable. Remember more than once in these forums that a senior contributor denounce the mvp as being bullshit and left us with the immpression that some of you might be biased. Regardless, many of us users browse the forums (all forums) and answer questions as a hobby and give our opinions. I buy my own software like the others. Just reread about the mvp program and is surprised that many of you may not get compensation. This might have changed over the years.

I'm sure many users here appreciate your feedback about the older versions of PD and Windows 10. laughing
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Remember more than once in these forums that a senior contributor denounce the mvp as being bullshit and left us with the immpression that some of you might be biased. Regardless, many of us users browse the forums (all forums) and answer questions as a hobby and give our opinions. I buy my own software like the others. Just reread about the mvp program and is surprised that many of you may not get compensation. This might have changed over the years.

I'm fairly certain the "a" senior contributor mentioned was me, feel free to use my name Jeff, userid JL_JL or both as you see fit. I'm more than happy to accept another one of your indirect snides as this one, I'm also more than happy to acknowledge and post corrections when I actually post errors or simple mistakes.

Read for yourself, from a stated MVPer. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45429.page#234566 "There is a large group of editors that have some extra benefits from Cyberlink. We get some free software and advance information."

If you search the forums you will also find I never left the impression they are biased, what I did say, "My point is, if you want to select people out, call them MVPs and comp them with software, then they should be held to a higher standard on providing proper answers, after all, they also have a direct hotline contact to CL staff as posted by CL."

My PD12 works fine with WIN10, create disc and all.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 25. 2015 16:39

gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]

Everyone. What is it with some people on Forums. Wether some contributors get free stuff is irrelevant to me.

I am old enough and wise enough to make my own conclusions about responses to questions and at least these people attempt to give a relevant reply.

The only people I have ever had issues with, regarding obnoxious posts or cloaked snide remarks, have been people with some sort of axe to grind.

So please give it a rest.

Minncy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 14, 2015 00:26 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

I've been using PD 12 that came pre loaded in my pc along with the other solutions in the Cyberlink Media Suite. The PD 12 has been working great for me and for some reason or another it just went kaput on me. Possibly a Win 10 update don't know for certain though.

I was just wondering though if it's normal that when I open my Media Suite and click on video, the option of "advanced video editing (AVE) is completly gone. Can't find or select the option for AVE anywhere whatsover. I'd understand having the option to select AVE and then an error message appearing about not being compatible but I don't have the option at all for selecting it. I've attached a pic for reference.

Thant being said if it means an upgrade to PD 14 I'm open to the idea however my other question is would upgrading to PD 14 erase or disable me from using the rest of the solutions in the pre installed Media Suite? Secondly since I can't find the option to open up AVE would all my templates be saved and be available when using PD 14?

Quick note I was able to open PD 12 in a roundabout way by clicking on an old video file that I worked on however when I open a video file to work on i get this message, see attached. I'm thinking it might have to do once again with compatibility issues.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

M
[Thumb - Screenshot (2).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (2).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
900 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
46 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot (4).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (4).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
119 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
47 time(s)
KevinConner1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 11, 2016 17:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Power Director 12 won't even install on my Windows 10 machine, despite me setting compatibility Options. Is there any way to force it to install so I can use my Power Director 16 upgrade?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Power Director 12 won't even install on my Windows 10 machine, despite me setting compatibility Options. Is there any way to force it to install so I can use my Power Director 16 upgrade?

Contact CL customer service and provide them with your PD12 license and PD16 upgrade key. You can reach them here.
KevinConner1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 11, 2016 17:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Contact CL customer service and provide them with your PD12 license and PD16 upgrade key. You can reach them here.

funny story

I realized firefox was blocking the download of the files, so the files I was downloading were 12 kb in size.

I had to download them via another browser.

LOL

XD

Windows was telling me I'm not allowed to install a program if I don't have it. LOL