Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Win10 (In)stability
chuckpuckett [Avatar]
Member Location: Alabama Joined: Jan 30, 2011 09:41 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Ok. I screwed up. I upgraded my NLE desktop to Win10 AND I CAN'T GO BACK (too late; it's been a month).

So PD13 is practically unusable, at least on my HP. Molasses speed, crashes. The first project I started won't even reload. I mean, PD13 crashed, and I haven't been able to reload it since. I'm not talking auto-recover. I mean a version I had manually saved.

I downloaded NVIDIA drivers for Win10, hoping that might help. But no such luck. I'd revert to OEM Windows, but Win10 seems to have cut off that avenue.

My question is this: would PD14 be a stability improvement? I usually stay on top of latest upgrades, but didn't see anything in PD14 release notes that I thought I needed, functionality-wise. But if I thought it would definitely work better in Win10, it wold be worth it to me. Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com
http://www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com
MelRay
Newbie Location: Cypress, TX (Houston) Joined: Nov 27, 2015 08:58 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I am using windows 10 which upgraded from windows 8.1 which upgraded from windows 7. I have both version 12 and 14 I had some minor issues with version 12, but 14 has been working well. The first time I encountered a problem was today the program locked up. Other than that it has been rock solid.

Good luck with getting your problem(s) resolved.

Regards,

MelRay Thank you for your help!,

MelRay

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ok. I screwed up. I upgraded my NLE desktop to Win10 AND I CAN'T GO BACK (too late; it's been a month).

So PD13 is practically unusable, at least on my HP. Molasses speed, crashes. The first project I started won't even reload. I mean, PD13 crashed, and I haven't been able to reload it since. I'm not talking auto-recover. I mean a version I had manually saved.

I downloaded NVIDIA drivers for Win10, hoping that might help. But no such luck. I'd revert to OEM Windows, but Win10 seems to have cut off that avenue.

My question is this: would PD14 be a stability improvement? I usually stay on top of latest upgrades, but didn't see anything in PD14 release notes that I thought I needed, functionality-wise. But if I thought it would definitely work better in Win10, it wold be worth it to me.

Let's take this one step at a time. First of all, you haven't screwed up! Second, you can go back to Win 7 or 8.1 at any time if that's what you really want to do. I think it's better to get things working in Win10, but you can go back to an older version by following the steps on this *page*

Many things could have gone wrong to cause the problems you're seeing with PD13, and chances are there is a simple solution to get you up and running again. Adding PD14 to the mix willl likely not be successful until you resolve the existing problems, so wait until that point to decide to upgrade or not.

The first thing to do now is to read the Welcome *sticky* and post the results from the DxDiag tool. That will help to show where your system's problems are.

You can also uninstall PD13 along with Quicktime and SmartSound if you are prompted. Then reinstall PD13 (you'll need your license key unless you bought the DVD version), and then download and apply the latest patch from this forum.

Next, go to the Quicktime *website* and download the latest version for Windows (7.7.8 ) and install it. The only parts you need are the Essentials, and you can set everything else to not be installed. You can also decline the offer the "Go Pro"

Now, try launching PD13 again, and if it has trouble loading, uncheck the box labeled Automatically load...:

If that works, try opening a different project and see how everything goes.

If things still aren't working, the DxDiag results will help guide the next steps.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 07. 2015 13:36

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
chuckpuckett [Avatar]
Member Location: Alabama Joined: Jan 30, 2011 09:41 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Well, PD14 may not have something extra, but when I ran it, all problems disappeared. I could even open the project that was crashing PD13. So I am again happily camping. Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com
http://www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com