Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to edit 120fps videos?
mp23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2014 12:24 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

One of the new featues from version 14 should be the support of editting 120 fps videos.

I'm a little bit confused, how the support looks like.

In the appliacation preferences I can only set 60 fps and in the timeline i have only hours:minutes:seconds:60fps
f.e. How can I take a snapshot from a clip from the 110nd frame?

Can I change the timeline from seconds to frames?

Thanks,

Martin
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

One of the new featues from version 14 should be the support of editting 120 fps videos.

I'm a little bit confused, how the support looks like.

In the appliacation preferences I can only set 60 fps and in the timeline i have only hours:minutes:seconds:60fps
f.e. How can I take a snapshot from a clip from the 110nd frame?

Can I change the timeline from seconds to frames?

Thanks,

Martin

From what I've played with, they simply don't offer a frame accurate timeline, never really have. It was discussed here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20086.page years ago.

From what I see of the new higher fps support for PD14 they simply decode the high fps source into whatever your timeline is set to for editing playback visualization, so yes, not all frames are available. When you go to produce you can define a custom profile and maintain the 120fps in your case.

So as they indicate, you can import, edit, and produce 120/240fps footage.

Jeff
mp23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.
So, I can't see any changes to PD13 - I could add and edit 120fps in PD13 the same way as with PD14.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for your reply.
So, I can't see any changes to PD13 - I could add and edit 120fps in PD13 the same way as with PD14.

Except for the "Produce" stage, standard GUI interface of PD13 did not support defining any profiles higher than 60fps. The GUI now supports the creation of 120/240fps profiles for some formats as seen in the attached pic.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_240fps.png]
 Filename
PD14_240fps.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
587 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
221 time(s)
mp23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ok, nevertheless I don't understand this concecpt.
I can only set a timeline framerate from 60, but can do an export to 120/240?
[Post New]
Best I can tell, they still haven't fixed this, and it's annoying. Taking 120fps and converting it to 60fps and then exporting to 120fps or 240fps is like converting a 480p video to 1080p so people on youtube think it's HD before they see it, only to find it's what it is, and be disappointed. It isn't like they will get a clear video when they slow to 30fps anymore, like it would be in the original/source. Come on Cyberlink. Get with the program. There are a LOT of us doing 120fps these days with our gopros and such and we want to maintain that frame rate from start to finish.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It's only the editing visuals in a 60 fps timeline, there is no conversion or deterioration of the actual video file. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Quote: It's only the editing visuals in a 60 fps timeline, there is no conversion or deterioration of the actual video file.

Really?? How strange. I don't know how that could work very well. For instance, how can I find the frame I want? I can only get to every other frame. o.O

But that IS good to know I guess, although I'm skeptical that it actually doesn't degrade in anyway.

Thanks
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You do not alter a file in any way by placing it in a timeline. PD is non-destructive 100%. As for searching for a particular frame I get your frustration, sorry I have no answer or guidance. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT