Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Echo on audio tracks.
scooby
Member Location: Warwickshire Joined: Mar 16, 2009 03:32 Messages: 68 Offline
[Post New]
Newbie here. Just wondering if anyone could help please. I have been using PowerDirector for a few years, now on PD12. I recently video'd a public meeting with my camcorder but because I couldn't use any external mics I had to rely on my camcorder mic. The result, although discernable, is full of echo, primarily because it was a large room with a very high ceiling, and I would like to get rid of the echo if I can.

My question is whether Audio Director has this capability ? And if so how easy is it to carry out ? I am not a professional, being only reasonably proficient with PD. Does AD sit alongside PD and you just edit the audio track with lots more options or do you have to split the audio track away from the video track, work on it, and then place it back alongside the video track.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give please and thanks in advance for any that is forthcoming.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Download the trial version of Audio Director and test it out.

It can be called up and launched from inside Power Director by clicking on your clip in the timeline and then clicking on the above Tab marked "Edit Audio."

Once you are finished editing the sound in AD then click back to PD to continue on your editing. PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
scooby
[Post New]
Thanks Rob. Yes, I downloaded the trial version about a week agao and it sits within PowerDirector very well and I have been using it. Also, as you say, it can be used on it's own.

But I still don't know if I am getting the best result that I can from it as far as getting rid of the echo on the audio track. I have experimented in all sorts of ways but I find that the best I can achieve is by going into the "Apply Effects" section of the editor and then into Reverb.Then while in Default I go into Advanced and alter the Sparkle to zero, the Room Width to zero, the Room Size to zero, and the Dry-Wet mix to zero as well.

I would very much appreciate if you have any other suggestions or any comments on what I am doing.
[Post New]
Hello scooby,

A similar question was raised here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28771.page - and the user had some success using a VST plug-in called "Reverb Remover" - http://www.dyvision.co.uk/reverbremover.html

I've attached a short sample showing the original audio (a booming explosion) followed by the treated result using Reverb Remover.

Using the standard effect in ADR, like Reverb & Echo, will only add the effect you're trying to remove. At best, the audio will be unchanged (no added reverb or echo).

PIX
 Filename
Explosion - Rev Remove.MP3
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
486 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
scooby
[Post New]
Thank you for that PIX. I listened to the download and it certainly changed the effect of the explosion. And thank you for the link to the previous question asked on here.

I'll investigate your suggested plug-in and report back to you.

Thank you.
scooby
[Post New]
UPDATE. I have downloaded the demo version of the relevant software and will purchase it if it makes my audio track more clear but can someone tell me what I should do with the downloaded file please. The downloaded folder contains contains a .DLL file, Dyvision Reverb Remover.DLL and a file with Install Instructions. The latter just says "copy the file DyVision Reverb Remover.DLL" to your VST Plugins folder.

I am probably being very stupid here bbut I'm not sure what I should do. I don't have a VST Plugins folder. Would someone be so kind as to tell me what I should do here please ?

Thank you.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Scooby,

1. Just create a folder or directory called VST and copy the .dll into it. (I have all my VSTs in one location on my C: drive usually located in the Programs folder. But you can place yours anywhere. Sometimes programs created their own VST Directories so do a search and see if their are any already on your C: drive. You can then copy the .dll into those directories if you want to keep things in one place so it's easier to remember where everything is.)

2. After this, open Audio Director, go to File and select "Import VST Plugin Effects"

3. Now point it to where your newly created VST folder is and AD should auto import it for use.

4. Go back to Ad and look at the left hand side of the page and you will see a new option called VST.

5. Import your sound file and use that VST to edit it.

Also check out these free VST plugins so you can experiment with them: http://earmonk.com/free-reverb-vst-plugins/

Here is the full list I just found while searching for VSTs and sound files: http://earmonk.com/blog/

Rob PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
[Post New]
Excellent explanation RobAC

scooby - here's an image guide illustrating Rob's steps - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24693.page#134343

Rob - thank you for those useful links. I've included them in a list of VST plug-ins suitable for ADR here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24641.page#237077

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2015 16:56

PIX YouTube channel
scooby
[Post New]
Rob. That was brilliant and so helpful. Thank you very much. I really appreciated your help there. I have now got the additional VST option up and running on Audio Director and have been using it to play with an audio track. However, I'm not sure what I should doing with the 3 dials. I have played with them but I don't actually find then very easy to use. I found the question mark help screen and read that but probably because I am not a sound engineer I'm not sure what each dial is supposed to do. Is there a basic tutorial anywhere that I can read ? Even a basic lesson in sound engineering would be helpful.

But thanks again for helping me to get to where I am.

Regards - David.
scooby
[Post New]
Pix. Thank you for all of that. I have looked at your link to the Cyberlink topic and that's very interesting. There is certainly a lot more to sound engineering than I ever thought possible ! Could I ask you please if, in your opinion, I have downloaded the most effective VST (DyVision Reverb Remover) with which to get rid of as much of the echo as I can ?

Thanks again for all yor help.

Regards - David.
[Post New]
Hello again David,

Firstly, I don't profess to be any kind of expert in audio editing. I'm completely untrained and have only limited experience. ADR is a consumer level "DAW" which has the advantage of being able to make use of VST plug-ins.

I have tested *one other "deverb" type plug-in which worked very well but is a more pro-level tool. i.e. more expensive to purchase & more complex to use.

Even though the function of the controls (turning the knobs) is a little "clunky", I found the DyVision Reverb Remover to be effective in the samples I tested. For me, the simplicity is appealing.

Detector HP controls the strength of reverb removal and Remove controls the frequency range to which it applies... in other words "how much". As you use the two controls in ADR, you'll see the waveform changing as the reflected audio (echo) is decreased (attenuated). You'll also see that the overall volume is decreased - Gain control can be used to restore levels, if needed.

What really counts is how effectively it works with the audio you've recorded!

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 11. 2015 13:55

PIX YouTube channel
scooby
[Post New]
Hello again Pix and thank you for your continued help. I am currently experimenting with DyVision Reverb Remover and like you I find the controls shall we say "unusual" In fact I find them really user unfriendly. On your screen dumps there are pink arrows on two of the controls. I assume that you have put them there with Photoshop or something like that.They are not on my dials and when I first saw them I thought that maybe my version wasn't quite as it should be and that the arrows were there to facilitate moving them !

Thanks again - David.
[Post New]
You're right about the pink arrows laughing I put them there to indicate where the dials were sitting.

I find the best way to manipulate those controls is by clicking & dragging the left side of each dial. Hopefully the attached (low res) screen capture will show what I mean.

PIX
 Filename
Reverb Remover.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
931 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
450 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
scooby
[Post New]
Quote: You're right about the pink arrows laughing I put them there to indicate where the dials were sitting.

I find the best way to manipulate those controls is by clicking & dragging the left side of each dial. Hopefully the attached (low res) screen capture will show what I mean.

PIX

Thank you for that Pix. That is exactly what I am doing as far as moving the dials is concerned. In fact, I think there is a certain "knack" to doing it and I'm getting on much better now. cool

Thanks again, this has been a bit of a learning curve for me these last few days but it would have been impossible without the help of this Forum and the people who are prepared to help amateurs like me.

Thanks again - David.