Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Puzzled on my video//Solved - Do over
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
I need some expert opinions/advice on my videos.

I have 11 hours of video of my trip to Laos. I imported them into PD 13, added a title to front and rear, chapters, and fading transitions (cross). Produced them using SVRT and burned them to DVD-DL. I'm sure you will need additional info, but I'm not sure what, so this is a start.

First - during playback, I noticed that some of the clips are full screen (sid-to-side, top-to-bottom and some are like wide screen (black space above and below the video and the video stretched making the people look fat)

Second - When transitioning from one clip to the next, there is a slight hiccup (or pause) and sometime a little blur before resuming playback.

Anyone have any ideas on this. I'm going to redo all 11 hours but I want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen. I'm at a loss on this as the original videos loaded into my computer from the video camera all display normal full screen.

I will include 2 pics of the two versions.
[Thumb - DSCF1412.JPG]
 Filename
DSCF1412.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Wide screen effect
 Filesize
1840 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
71 time(s)
[Thumb - DSCF1411.JPG]
 Filename
DSCF1411.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
normal
 Filesize
1774 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
65 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 03. 2015 17:49

Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Most here like to know about your system when they try to help so , let's start with that. What kind of computer, operating system, processor, graphics card, etc... -do you have that you work on this video?

Next, I'm not an expert, they will chime in when they get a chance. The one thing that I'll ask is to make sure all the video that you imported INTO PD13 - was shot at the SAME aspect ration - at the same 16:9 or 4:3. If PD can allow different aspect ratios to exist in the same project - that may be the issue. If it was (all shot at the same aspect ratio - and imported into a project with one aspect ratio), then I really don't know what is going on.

I'm not sure if PD can 'chop off' portions of video to change the aspect ratio or not - and then allow more than one aspect ratio to exist in the same project - on the other hand - I think it may. Then you would need to make sure that your preferences are set the same - 16:9 or 4:3 one or the other when you are in your project.

Like I said, others hopefully will comment now and you will get assistance.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2015 09:26

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks CS2014 for your response.

My dxdiag should answer your questions as to what system I'm using.

As for the videos, they were all shot using my JVC video camera @ 16.9, over a period of about 5 weeks.

I've never had this problem in any of my other projects and, believe me, I've had many.

If anyone else has any ideas or needs additional info, please let me know.
 Filename
DxDiag 09_30_15.txt
[Disk]
 Description
My computer
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
473 time(s)
Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Some cameras can do both 4x3 and 16x9 videos. Let us know the exact JVC camera model number to look up to see if this is the case. More than likely you included some old 4x3 clips, did not like the black borders on the sides on the preview, went to tv format and changed them to 16x9 by stretching to fill the screen and apply to all clips and forgot about it. All you have to do now is to set those clips back to 4x3 if that is the case and don't click to apply to all clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2015 12:56

boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc.

I did not have any 4x3 clips - no option for that on the camera that I'm aware of. I know it is an old one, but it was the best at the time I purchased it and it has always produced excellent videos.

I'm including all the specs straight from the users manual that came with the camera. In addition, I'm including a snapshot of a video clip. If wanted, I can upload a clip that was loaded into my computer straight from the camera.

I made no changes to any of the projects except those additions previously mentioned.

Anything else needed, please let me know.
[Thumb - Sample video clip.PNG]
 Filename
Sample video clip.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
57 time(s)
 Filename
JVC Videocam specs100.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
camcorder specs
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
480 time(s)
Jack
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just discovered that my camcorder records in 4x3. I found that out by opening the 1st disc (I saved all six) in PD13 and it said the clips were 4x3 but my setting was 16x9 and asked if I wanted to change it. I'm assuming that I did change it when I first went through the steps of producing all 11 hours.
I apologize for this screw-up. I used that 3 syllable word again.
I'm going to preview what I have with this new attempt and see what I come up with. Will post an update later.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2015 18:08

Jack
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Since you don't remember the model number of your camcorder which is on the front of that manual, had to hunt for that info online. It is not easy. Your battery is for the JVC GZ-MG130 series which records both 720x480 standard definition (4x3)and non anormorphic (16x9) video setting through the menu. See the attachment and read the part on wide recording. This confirms what we see in your two attachment of video looking normal and some looking too wide.

The fix for all this has been outlined earlier in this thread. It is best to set your project to 4x3. You will get those black bars on the sides with 4x3 and extra top and bottom bars on the 16x9 videos in order not to have people appear too wide in your finished dvd.
[Thumb - JVC GZ-MG130.jpg]
 Filename
JVC GZ-MG130.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
How to set 4x3 and 16x9 widescreen recording.
 Filesize
264 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
52 time(s)
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Again, thanks tomasc for your reply.

I apologize profusely for failing to include the model number and the time you spent researching it.

The actual model number, taken from the camcorder is GZ-MG670BU. (See photo)

It has two recording modes and aspects. One is video, 16 x 9, the other is photos, 4 x 3. To record in either mode requires manually setting the camcorder to the mode you want to shoot (see photo, switch above One Touch)). Therefore, it is impossible to record video in 4 x 3 or photos in 16 x 9. In addition, the camcorder came with it's own software that will decipher the way the videos/photos are stored in the hard drive. What I mean there is, the camcorder does not store the videos/photos in the date/numerical sequence taken. They are assigned a specific code with date and time and sometimes a leltter willl be added (MOV01, MOV02a, MOV02b, MOV03, etc) but are stored in random order and random id's (difficult to explain - you would have to see it to believe it). Each day's recordings begin with that days first video: i.e., VTS_01_1, VTS01_02,; day two VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, (software changes the MOV to VTS) etc when the software is used to produce the videos. When I load each day into PD, there is no distinction as to what day is first, second, third, etc., as PD loads them accordin to the VTS codes. With each day staeting with a VTS_01_1, they are not in the sequence taken. Without the software that came with the camcorder, I have to open each days videos, have them arranged by date/time, ascending or descending and then rename each one in a sequence starting with the 1st video all the way to the last one, such as VTS_01_1, VTS_02_1, VTS_03_1, etc, all the way through VTS_411_1. I'm not sure this makes any sense to anyone, but that is the only way I could get them in a logical order.

I still do not have any idea how the videos were intermingled from 16 x 9 to 4 x 3 and back. I also do not know why there is a hesitation at each transition point before it progresses to the next clip.

I think I need to mark this as Solved and put it to bed. I doubt an answer is possible. I guess I'll have to re-do the whole project but do a preview during the editing process before I move on to production and another before burning.

If anyone else wants to jump in, feel free but I don't think there's an answer.

Again tomasc, I apologize for causing you so much trouble and frustration.
[Thumb - DSCF1414.JPG]
 Filename
DSCF1414.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Camcorder model
 Filesize
2152 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)
[Thumb - DSCF1413.JPG]
 Filename
DSCF1413.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Mode switch
 Filesize
2473 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
48 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2015 10:11

Jack