Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where is the 2k resolution?
[Post New]
Hi!

I want to render my clips as 2K for YouTube, 2560x1440, but can't find it when viewing the profiles and I can't set up that size myself. There is 4K, 3840x2160, and a bunch of others but no 2k. When choosing 2k in the standard resolutions PowerDirector makes the video 2048x1080 instead and that size is not good for anything.

The thing is that even if most people view YouTube in quality lower than 2k, if clips gets uploaded in a bit higher resolution then YouTube uses that higher resolution to process, thus making normal 1920x1080 a bit higher quality compared to uploading directly as 1920x1080.

Anyone have the same faulty resolution?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi SweDuck75 -

There isn't such a profile available, but it's easy enough to create one. The attached PDF shows how.

2560x1440 is usually referred to as 1440p or (sometimes) 2.5K or QHD... a little confusing surprised

Also attached are 2 2560x1440 profiles - M2TS & MPEG-4. You can either open it in Notepad and copy/paste the text into your Profile.ini or just replace your Profile.ini with it (if you don't have other custom profiles you want to keep).

The Profilie.ini is found at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Creating Custom Profiles for PowerDirector.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
748 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
786 time(s)
 Filename
Profile.ini
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
498 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
So we have to add 2560x1440 ourselves as there is no optioin to put that size for the clip? I hope the PD Team realizes that's an issue and fixes it in the future as 16:9 is the most common format today. (I'm hoping for a YouTube-export function who don't uploads directly but let's us save the file localy.)

I gave your settings a go and then raised the bitate to 60,000 Kbps (since I do mostly gaming) and the finished result on YouTube came out a bit better. I'm still not quite satisfied though but it seems that the bitrate is really important for the quality on YouTube. How high bitrate can Power Director handle? If I, for instance, make a normal 1920x1080 clip but change in the Profile.ini to something like 100,000 Kbps, is that possible?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Well - there you go - YouTube refers to 1440p as 2K. Here are the upload recommendations from YT - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Yes - you can make the VBR 100MBps if you wish. For YouTube, I honestly can't see much point in that. Bitrate is the hugest factor in file size & in "streamability" (if that's a word)

What's the bitrate of your original game captures?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
The original .avi-capture from recording games with Mirillis Action is 1987833 kbit/s so about a million. ^^

Best result would be to upload them directly but I need to edit the clips first. File size don't matter that much just as long as the quality on YouTube comes out good enough.

I'm tinkering a lot with profiles now. I've made a profile based on the 2048x1152 format (still 16:9) found in Resolution alternative on Profile Setup and changed the bitrate to 60MBps and the result is good enough. With a 2048x1152 format YouTube thinks it's "higher than 1080p" and process it thereafter, making normal 1080p result after YouTube processing get a bit higher quality than if my video were uploaded in 1920x1080. Or so I've read.

Thanks a lot for all help, I have a lot to do now until the ultimate settings is found.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You seem to have found the answer, but 2048x1080 is 2k. As Tony pointed out 1440 is quadHD, commonly called qHD. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Ok. Well, still. One might think that the common YouTube-standards would be in the program as YouTube is the most common source of videos today with over a billion users and 300 hours of video uploaded every minute.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
1440 is not really a standard anywhere but YouTube, but I get your point. Also starting to see a lot of computer monitors in that resolution. You could always leave a suggestion in the sticky for suggestions. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The Surface Pro 3 has a 3:2 screen size of 2160 x 1440, so that's another wrinkle if you're calling for "1440" resolution

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Robert-in-NH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 28, 2020 07:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Reference the 2k resolution question:

Here we are, in September of the year 2021 - six years after you submitted this issue. I think it has been fixed, but initially, I wasn't sure.

The PowerDirector version I'm using is 20.0.2106.0 (64-bit) from my PowerDirector 365 subscriiption - so I'm up to date on the software.

From the "Produce File" panel of PowerDirector, I did the following:

1) Under "Select a file format:", I chose H.265 HEVC.

2) The "Profile name/Qality" dropdown list appeared with selections for the H.265 format.

3) I selected the only 2k profile available in the list.

4) The profile name is MPEG-4 2K 2048x1080/30p (30 Mbps).

5) In the "Export folder:" box at the bottom, I edited the path and video name and clicked "Start".

That 2048x1080 resolution number bothered me. My calculation tells me that's a rather imprecise 16:8.4375 aspect ratio.

Do the math.

How I got to this point:

The source video file is from the micro-sd card in my DJI Mavic Mini drone.

This model drone does not shoot 4K resolution videos.

However,it does shoot 2K video in 2720x1530 resolution.

My calculation shows this resolution to be a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio. Do the math.

I produced my video using the producdtion settings listed in 1) through 5) above.

I then posted it to my YouTube channel.

When I palyed it on YouTube, I was delighted. My selected production profile resulted in a 2K video!

At the bottom right corner of the YouTube video player, a gear shaped icon allows the viewer to select the resolution, and the highest resolution available is 1440p.

It doesn't say 2K, but rather 1440p (with a little red HD indicator)

View my contribution on YouTube here

I hope this contributes to the discussion. I found no need to create a custom profile for 2K videos.
[Thumb - 1440p = 2K.jpg]
 Filename
1440p = 2K.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot - YouTube Resoution
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)