Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm Back Again!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, gang! It's me, Neil Forbes. I pop by every now and then to see what's happening here and again I notice some changes to the way these comments(posts) are presented. While I don't have any quibbles about the overall look of DZ(that's Dee-Zed!), I note that the accursed "catchpa", dressed up as a "verification code" still lurks here(though thankfully not in replies to other posts). Like I said once before, as members, our bona-fides are provided upon log-in by our e-mail addresses and passwords(known only to us individually) so there really is no need for the catchpa, or verification code as you euphomistically call it.

As for me, I'm still using PD8 but a recent attempt at transferring VHS to my computer via PD8 was, I'm happy to report, successful. Though I do remember some having issues with home-recorded VHS tapes triggering the "This tape is copyrighted...." problems some time back. I remember suggesting the use of an outside programme(other software) for initial capture, then import the unedited capture to Power Director for editing and final DVD write-to-disc(authoring). I wonder how people fared with that situation.

That's all for me at this moment. Cheers!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
home-recorded VHS tapes triggering the "This tape is copyrighted...." problems
The problem still exists.

It is caused by noise on the video tape between recording. If you always cue the tape at the actual start of video the copyright is not activated.

The reason that problem does not show up in third party software is because the third party sofware does not have copyright protection built-in. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Carl! Miss me? I am fully aware of the problem with "noise" on some tapes which trigger the "copyright" problem. Thing is, this can happen at any pint along the length of the tape, not necessariy just at the start. It is the condition of the tape(if home-recorded) which is likely to trigger the problem. With pre-recorded(commercially-issued) VHS tapes(Betamax having been elimitated from the videotape battle after about the second or third generation of machines coming onto the market), the copyright protection would run the length of the tape and, at a guess, is encoded into the linear audio track. Anyhow, I was just commenting on being successful at using PD8 to capture some video content off VHS(PAL-system) tapes recently.

Cheers for now.

Neil F.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe I missed you, I have not seen any posts from you in a long time.

We know about problems with actual copyrighted tapes. Homemade tapes should not have any copyright on them. Still some forms of copyright protection is seen as just noise in the video playback. The older and more deteriorated the tapes, the worse the problem.

There is plenty of third party software to capture video tape without any copyright protection built-in.

Cyberlink Powerdirector has copyright protection built-in to the program. Which means you may get a false trigger. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil.F.1955 ,
Quote: Hi, gang! It's me, Neil Forbes. I pop by every now and then to see what's happening here and again I notice some changes to the way these comments(posts) are presented. While I don't have any quibbles about the overall look of DZ(that's Dee-Zed!), I note that the accursed "catchpa", dressed up as a "verification code" still lurks here(though thankfully not in replies to other posts). Like I said once before, as members, our bona-fides are provided upon log-in by our e-mail addresses and passwords(known only to us individually) so there really is no need for the catchpa, or verification code as you euphomistically call it.

The aim is to deter spam posters who set up multiple email and multiple forum names just to post their adverts or in some cases nonsense posts. So far, it has worked and this forum unlike the old DZ forum hasn't been over-run by attackers. You may not like the use of the security but it has made for a more pleasant forum for members to post in. I'm certainly glad it is present. I asked for for the security feature to be added.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2015 04:34

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, I'll answer both posts together, Dafydd's post first, With the explanation of the "catchpa"(verification code) to deter "spam" posters, then I'll(grudgingly) accept the existence thereof, as long as they don't get too complicated, as it's the longer complicated ones that deter feedback from users like myself and others and puts us off posting here.

Now to Carl312, Power Director's built-in copyright protection system, I understand why it's there but it can prove a nuisance to those of us trying to "rescue" old VHS or Video-8 content, or even Hi-8 content(camera tapes) that may have a trace of wear 'n' tear, so much so I've had to chuck out some old VHS tapes I've had because they were falsely triggering the protection response. 'Tis a pity 'cause those tapes had content I really wanted to save, stuff I'd recorded off TV broadcasts many moons ago. Ah well, as the bus driver said when he brought his vehicle to a screeching halt: "Them's the breaks(brakes)!"smile
Carl312
[Post New]
If you use some of the third party capture software, you can still capture the worn out VHS tapes. You do have "baby sit" the digitizing process

Microsoft Movie Maker is supposted to be good at capturing worn tapes. (Free)

Golden Videos VHS to DVD Converter: Is supposed to be good also. It is not free. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312,

The trouble I encountered with the Microsoft(Windows) Movie Maker for Windows 7 is that it has no provision for capture from VHS or any other external tape format as there's no provision for a capture card. The earlier Windows Movie Maker(for Windows XP) had such a provision but it seemed to go "absent without leave" from the Windows 7 version. In any case, I've learned not to trust Windows Movie Maker for any video work, capture, edit or disc authoring. It simply does not fulfill my needs.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
If you have, or buy, a capture card surely that comes with capture software? Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil

Welcome back!

PD8 was (is) a great version of PD. Happy that you're still using it cool Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello All!

Again I'll respond to both recent replies, firstly Fenman. Yes, naturally capture cards do come with software included in the package(some even provide a bare-bones version of Power Director) but the capture card devises themselves will happily work with whichever video capture-and-edit software you have on your computer(in most cases - there might be the odd capture card that may require its own software for successful use) On each occasion I've purchased a new CC(abbreviation of Capture Card), it has come with its own software, the last one I bought had the bare-bones version of PD8 in its package. I was unable to use that version as several of the features would not function and there was no way I could download any "patch" which would activate the desired features. This is where Cubby-House Films stepped in, and I'm grateful that he did. So in answer to your post, Cubby House Films, yes, I am still using it and it has proven itself as a very useful and versatile software programme. Again, many thanks!