Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 12 - 3403 Build ... Can it 'Flash' pictures - Very Short Frame duration?
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
PD12.0.3403.0 Build

WIN 8.1 (64bit)

8G RAM

3.2GHz processor

I was wondering if PD12 can 'flash' pictures through a video I want to make? I've tried it and it does not seem to work as when I try to shorten the frame length (time length of the picture) to 'tenths' of a second, it doesnt turn out so well.

Firstly, I hope someone undestands what I am trying to accomplish and I apologize if its confusing.

Second, I'm trying to have 2 or a series of pictures flash, one after the other, - say just back and forth beteween two pictures until the second picture flashing at increasingly longer duration(and first picture flashing at increasingly shorter duration) - until it is no longer interrupted by the first picture.

Just curious if anyone has been able to do this in PD12?

Thanks,

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PD12.0.3403.0 Build

WIN 8.1 (64bit)

8G RAM

3.2GHz processor

I was wondering if PD12 can 'flash' pictures through a video I want to make? I've tried it and it does not seem to work as when I try to shorten the frame length (time length of the picture) to 'tenths' of a second, it doesnt turn out so well.

Firstly, I hope someone undestands what I am trying to accomplish and I apologize if its confusing.

Second, I'm trying to have 2 or a series of pictures flash, one after the other, - say just back and forth beteween two pictures until the second picture flashing at increasingly longer duration(and first picture flashing at increasingly shorter duration) - until it is no longer interrupted by the first picture.

Just curious if anyone has been able to do this in PD12?

Thanks,

CS
You can set the duration of a image (PNG) to as short as 1 frame. For NTSC, that is 33 Milliseconds, for PAL this is 40 Milliseconds.

Put the image on the timeline, select it (click on it) > Duration. In duration you set 00:00:00:01.

As far as I know, the one frame duration is true for every version of Powerdirector. I know for sure PD 9 and later.

To make pictures alternate, you put picture1 on one track and Picture2 following on another track, setting the Duration for each image. You can copy and paste the images. Put however many times on the timeline. Your only limit is your imagination of how to create the effect you want.

You do have to do the work, it is not automatic. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi CS2014 -

I'm sure PDR 12 can do (something like) what you have in mind. It really depends on exactly what you have in mind.

Image duration can be set down to 1 frame - 00:00:00:01 - so you should be able to achieve what you're after. When you say it doesn't turn out well, I guess you mean it's not the "look" you want. Do you have a link showing the kind of effect you want?

Maybe setting image opacity at kess than 100% might be more effective - really depends on the content of the video.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl and YNot for responding.

I've tried it in the past with .jpg files and it just didn't seem to allow me to set the duration of the 'frame' to one frame. I'll try again.

Will setting a picture to one frame work on png and jpg file images? Again. I give it a shot tomorrow sometime. Thanks.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
CS2014
[Post New]
Wow, never mind - and sorry for not trying it a second time before posting this. It's a strobe sort of effect and it does indeed work. Again. sorry for the waste of time but it did not seem to work a few months ago when I tried it. But it does now.

Thanks for responding though. CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2015 23:00

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB