Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashing in capture menu
[Post New]
My Powerdirector 13 will crash about 50% of the time if I click on the "Capture" menu. If it happens that it doesn't crash after entering the Capture menu, it almost always crashes when I try to change any settings in that menu (ie webcam resolution, etc). Sometimes I will even get a blue screen with an "APC_INDEX_MISMATCH" if I try to use my external video capture device. This is ridiculous because everything else in Powerdirector works fine (except for a few minor bugs that I can live with)! I am using Windows 8 64-bit, and I have Powerdirector 13.0.2604.0

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
165 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 06. 2015 03:11

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My Powerdirector 13 will crash about 50% of the time if I click on the "Capture" menu. If it happens that it doesn't crash after entering the Capture menu, it almost always crashes when I try to change any settings in that menu (ie webcam resolution, etc). Sometimes I will even get a blue screen with an "APC_INDEX_MISMATCH" if I try to use my external video capture device. This is ridiculous because everything else in Powerdirector works fine (except for a few minor bugs that I can live with)! I am using Windows 8 64-bit, and I have Powerdirector 13.0.2604.0

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

BSOD when you use an "external video capture device", what would that device be?

BSOD indicates a hardware failure is happening and the likelihood is that PDR13 (and the external device is) is stressing your system where the failure happens. Now all of this is a guess but you shouldn't be getting a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) - you need to check the internal connections (slots) in your computer. You may also need to disconnect devices to eliminate those that function/or don't trigger the BSOD. It could be the MOBO as well...

Your diagnostic indicates you have a powerful computer with an intel card reliant upon your Ram

Your GPU drivers are dated 2013/03/06 - look for a more recent driver.

You need to apply the 8.1 OS update.

The above are guesses and suggestions which you may or may not take up.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Thank you for your response.

The external capture device is a Blackmagic Intesity Shuttle, which, incidently, decided to work with Powerdirector once recently after my post. However if I can't use this device reliably with Powerdirector I don't really care because I can use it with another program anyway. It's just that capturing anything from inside Powerdirector is very touch-and-go.

I'm interested as to why my dxdiag results do not show up my nvidia GeForce GTX 670M graphics card, which is only one or two driver release behind. As for the Intel Graphics, attempts to update the driver in device manager always result in "the driver is up to date" (which apparently it isn't, is there another way to update it? And I run Powerdirector with my nvidia card anyway so I'm not sure if I need it updated).

I'm quite sure it's something specific to Powerdirector, as other programs work fine. And I very much hope all the physical connections in my computer are good because it's a laptop and therefore is not very easy to service.

I looked up what the "APC_INDEX_MISMATCH" means and I believe it's something to do with drivers running tasks incorrectly or incorrectly implemented drivers, something like that. In which case it would be Powerdirector, since my capture devices (webcams, the Blackmagic one, etc) work in other programs, wouldn't it?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I'm not sure I can assist you a great deal. If you scroll to the bottom of the diagnostic you'll see your crash events, BSOD, MediaExpress.exe errors etc.

Nvidia card not displaying, check your device manager set up.

8.1 update? You need to apply it.

Intel updates - DO NOT rely on Windows to update your drivers - go to the Intel site.

I don't think the issue is a PDR13 one - looks to me you have a problem with your computer. If you're unsure as to what to do, then find a local tech to assist. PDR13 may be stressing your PC but you need to update the OS and resolve the cause of the BSOD and the other Error messages.

Best of luck.
Dafydd
[Post New]
Well I updated everything, I updated to Windows 8.1, I updated to the latest graphics drivers, I installed all Windows updates, and now Powerdirector doesnt even open! If I try to open it I receive an error: "The program can't start because MSVCR110.dll is missing from your computer", etc, etc. I reinstalled Powerdirector but the problem is still there. However as far as I know Powerdirector can run on Windows 8.1 yes?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, 8.1 is not an issue for PD.
I was going to suggest trying a different USB port for your external capture device (if you are using a USB, of course).
Now however you seem to be having other issues. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Quote: Yes, 8.1 is not an issue for PD.
I was going to suggest trying a different USB port for your external capture device (if you are using a USB, of course).
Now however you seem to be having other issues.

Well I was hoping that updating everything would fix the problem, but it created another larger one...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I did find this on the web...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/the-program-cant-start-because-msvcr110dll-is/f052d325-3af9-4ae5-990b-b080799724db HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
I downloaded the patches recommended in that post and actually I already have those installed, both the 64 and 32 bit versions... I reinstalled them anyway but no luck... Someone on that post said that the upgrade to 8.1 removed the msvcr.dll and I think that is what's happened to me, because I can see that file in the old Windows system directory (C:\Windows.old\windows\System32), but it isn't in the new Windows directory (C:\Windows\System32). However it is in the new SysWOW64 directory, so I'm not sure what's going on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2015 02:13

[Post New]
Ah, wait. It turns out I had the wrong ones - same file name but installed different versions (2013 instead of 2012). So it's all working now, and the crashing in the capture menu seems to have subsided. Thank you everyone for your help to get it going again!
Jorgebruh021 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2021 20:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
if its even possible this far in the future, can i know what you ended up doing to fix it please? just ran into this problem and ive been staying up all night to figure out what it is... tysm