Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clip wont fade out
AllanSmithee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 13, 2015 19:16 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I previously had a clip with a fade-out at the end. I removed the end portion of the clip. Now when I try to enable fade-out to the new end, it doesn't work. No matter what I do I can't get it to fade out. I've disabled fade, saved, closed, reopened and enabled fade-out, and it still does not appear.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there any other way to add a fade-out?

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 15:01

Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know, you can add a transition effect to the end of a clip, to the beginning of a clip or right between two clips. Have you tried putting it right onto the end of your last clip?

How about this... Add a black slide at the end of your video. Then put the fade transition on the middle between your last clip and the black slide. That should work.

Good luck!
AllanSmithee [Avatar]
[Post New]
No I've been enabling the fade by double-clicking the clip to open in PiP Designer, then checking "Fades" and then "Enable fade-out". This has worked for all the other clips in my project. For some reason this method just stopped working for this particular clip after I cut off the previous end of the clip. The clip itself is still nearly 40 seconds long so there's plenty of time.

Thanks I will try your method if this fade-out continues to give me trouble.

How do you add a black slide? Is there an easy way to do this within PD?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 15:19

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Allan -

We were typing simultaneously.

Eldor's suggestions will give you a fade to black, either by inserting a post-fix transition or a fade into a black colour board.

It sounds like you had previously checked Fade Out in PiP Designer When you trimmed off the end of the clip it's messed up the keyframes. PiP Designer does that (where Title Designer adjusts itself to the new duration)

If you select the clip and go back into PiP Designer, you'll probably be able to slide/reset those keyframes to recover your fade.

Lots of us have learned the hard way with PiP Designer, Video Crop etc. Get the duration set first BEFORE editing keyframes.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 15:23

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AllanSmithee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If you select the clip and go back into PiP Designer, you'll probably be able to slide/reset those keyframes to recover your fade.

Tony, thanks. How do I go about "slide/reset those keyframes" as you suggest? I don't know where in PiP Designer you're refeerring to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 15:31

AllanSmithee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I don't know what I did - in fact I really didn't do anything - but it seems to be working again.

I just closed/reopened the project once or twice and disabled/enabled the fade a few times and magically when I enabled the fade again the yellow dots were on the clip appropriately. It seems this feature "resets" itself over time?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 15:56

Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I just closed/reopened the project once or twice and disabled/enabled the fade a few times and magically when I enabled the fade again the yellow dots were on the clip appropriately. It seems this feature "resets" itself over time?

I've had to close PD many times, then reopen the project. Something how it works after doing that. It's a PITA if nothing else. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
AllanSmithee [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't think it was the act of closing/reopening to be honest. I tried that twice and it didn't work. However after I opened the project the second time I let it sit for a while (I was waiting for responses on here). Then when I went back into the program and enabled fade-out, suddenly it worked again.

Just a suggestion to the programmers, while this may be intentional or serve some purpose, it appears to the user to be a bug. There should be a way to "reset" the key-frames when this happens. I imagine there will be a large proportion of users who will similarly make the mistake of trimming after adding a fade-out and the program should allow you to set the fade again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 17:35