Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What codecs?
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
In another thread, codecs were mentioned, such as K-lite.

What codec packages are PD 13 users installing? .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have QuickTime and have not had any issues. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Myk -

How do you spell codecs? C-A-N-O-F-W-O-R-M-S smile

Whenever the topic of installing "extra" codecs is raised here, like everywhere else it's discussed, you'll find the whole spectrum of views form "I wouldn't be without them" to "No way. NEVER. They'll ruin your life!"

If the videos you import at the moment play correctly in PDR & your favourite media players, you don't need to install anything extra. PDR has its own built in codecs. Various media players install codecs on your system so they can interpret a variety of video formats. So - they may be unnecessary for you.

When you come across something that WON'T play (either video or audio) in PDR, that's when you need to consider either converting the file or installing appropriate codecs.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote: In another thread, codecs were mentioned, such as K-lite.

What codec packages are PD 13 users installing?

None. They might break more things than they "fix". The only one that might be needed is QuickTime - because Apple licensing terms.

PS: I have installed as a video player the "Windows Media Player Classic Home Theatre".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2015 06:40

Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Bingo! That must be it! The reason I didn't have any problem with that other user's video (from another thread) even though I hadn't KNOWINGLY installed any other codecs.

But I do have VLC player installed, and from what you say, it may have installed codecs that have somehow benefited PDR13.

Quote: Various media players install codecs on your system so they can interpret a variety of video formats. So - they may be unnecessary for you.