Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can not decode the master
dsanita [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2015 23:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All:

I'm new to Photo Director 6, and have already run into a few frustrating issues. The above is a message that I get very often, and the closest to a pattern that I can get is that it usually happens when I've edited a picture, a virtual picture is created (which I would prefer it not, but... ) and then export it back to the drive. If I "Save To" the drive, The picture is save with .JPG.jpg. Not sure why the extention would show up twice, but it does.

I've submitted a support ticket, but after sending all the requested info, including, but not limited to, the dxdiag, a couple of screenshots of the error message, my original receipt for the purchase of the software, I'm yet to receive a response to help me solve this problem. And, BTW, Cyberlink's help tickets do not allow you to enter any other additional notes, requests, followups, etc... unless they've requested the info, or you open another ticket, which they ask that you do not do.

So far, my experience with Cyberlink has not been the best. If not for the face tagging, along with some rather cool adjustment and edit options that even a novice like myself are easily able to figure out, along with being in my price range, I would likely have already returned the software and not given it or any other Cyberlink product another look. I really want to continue to use the software and give it my best, so can anyone shed some light on the above error, even if Cyberlink doesn't? Errors like the above are unacceptable, and no response and/or assistance to solve these problems makes it even more frustrating.

Thanks,
Don
[Post New]
Hello Don,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum even though you haven't had such a happy start with PhD6

I'm sorry that "support" hasn't been able to help you resolve your issues. There appear to be quite a few, some of which may be getting familiar with the software.

Firstly, "Cannot decode the master": I've not ever seen that alert, nor seen it reported. From your description, I cannot see what might be triggering it.

it usually happens when I've edited a picture, a virtual picture is created (which I would prefer it not, but... )

- No - a virtual picture is only created at the user's request. PhD does not generate these as a matter of course.

Depending on your export preferences, the edited photo may or may not be imported back into the library. It would be worth looking closely at your export settings & adjusting them to meet your needs.

Re: Naming - As far as I know, an exported photo would only be named ".JPG.jpg" if it was badly named on import. Could you please attach some screenshots that show this issue. Again, I've never seen it previously.

Don, I'm sure that the issues you're having can be resolved with a little more information and adjustment of settings.

PIX

[Thumb - PhD_Export Pref.jpg]
 Filename
PhD_Export Pref.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
546 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2015 12:28

PIX YouTube channel
dsanita [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PIX

Thanks so much for your response. You're very knowledgeable and I sincerely appreciate any help you can give me. There are so many features of the software that I like that I do not want to give up on it.

Issue #1: The first screenshot it of the decode issue. But then, once I get that, I can not save any file, hence, the second screenshot telling me that the file is in use.

Issue #2: The virtual copy. I can recreate this all the time. When I go into edit, and especially when I use "content aware removal", upon getting out, it gives me a message saying "processing", and a virtual copy will appear.

Issue #3: I've attached another error message that tells me nothing, other than that I get it occasionally, but not all the time, when I try to save a picture.

Again, thanks very much for your help.

Don

[Thumb - ErrorMessage3.png]
 Filename
ErrorMessage3.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
733 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
179 time(s)
[Thumb - ErrorMessage2.png]
 Filename
ErrorMessage2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
278 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
168 time(s)
[Thumb - ErrorMessage.png]
 Filename
ErrorMessage.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
170 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello again Don,

Ah yes - when using Content Aware Removal PhD does indeed generate an "extra" Virtual Photo after export. I'm not sure why. Possibly a back-up, in case you wish to do further modifications.

Don, are the photos you're using straight from your camera or scanner? I'm really perplexed about the "decode" issue.

I started to do a little screen capture showing what's happening here but it turned itself into a tutorial (with a little help). It shows the basic workflow in PhD from importing - adjusting - editing - setting preferences - & export.

Perhaps if you watch it, & note any differences in your own workflow, we may be able to narrow down the possible causes of your issue.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
dsanita [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have to admit that I'm getting quite discouraged with the software. While I like the ease of use and somewhat intuitive features for a novice like myself, I'm not sure the frustration associated with saving/exporting pictures is worth it. I just want a program to work and help adjust/organize my pictures.

Regarding the "Can not decode the master" message. Still no resolution. Cyberlinks just keeps asking for more and more info, but has suggested absolutely nothing. The only way I've been able to get around this error is to delete the picture from the library, and re-import it by syncing the folders. It comes back in fine. It's a real nuisance.

Now I have another issue with exporting/saving. I've attached a couple of shots of the message I'm getting with some pictures I just recently imported into the software. I didn't nothing of note differently from the other 4600 pictures that I've imported. After importing them, I tried to make a few adjustments, and then when I when to save it, I got the message "File in Use". I had no other software running in the background that I though would be using the file, so I re-booted the computer in an effort to release any potential locks. Getting back into PhotoDirector immediately after re-boot, only to find that the error persists.

It appears that Cyberlink doesn't answer its tickets very quickly. After checking for a response daily, I gave up, only to find that they replied after 8 days. Also, their tech support ticketing system provides no way to add/append/edit or followup on the ticket unless a representative has responded to it, and even then, it's only at their direct request. I find that odd and inefficient.

As you can tell from my tone, I'm quite frustrated at this point, and would really like the software to work. Thankfully, I didn't spend hundreds of $'s on PHD.

Please help.
Don

[Thumb - ErrorMessage4.jpg]
 Filename
ErrorMessage4.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Another error when exporting after the save failed.
 Filesize
277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
150 time(s)
[Thumb - file in use.jpg]
 Filename
file in use.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
File in Use error when trying to save
 Filesize
292 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
140 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello again Don,

I'm sorry you've been unable to get the help you need from the technical support team. I agree with you about the shortfalls in the "ticket" system. It's been raised many times in these forums.

I also understand the difficulty of trying to resolve issues when the user's PC is not right in front of you. There are so many things that can interfere with a smooth workflow.

In your screenshot "Error Message", the Windows Paint program is running (active in task bar). I don't know whether any of the photos in question may have been open in that software when you tried to export. That's not the case in your "File in Use" screenshot.

Working on a solution is dependent on the settings you've applied in your Export Preferences. Could you please post screenshots showing those?

I have a suggestion which I'll send by PM.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
dsanita [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Pix

Thanks for your quick replies. Cyberlink owes you big for the support you give their customers.

I've posted 3 more jpgs of screen captures of my export settings. I think this is what you requested.

The paint program was indeed running in the background, but only for me to process the error and export screenshots. I don't usually have any other photo software running in the background when using PHD.

Please keep in mind that to me, there seems to be two errors that I get, but both related to saving/exporting. One is: "Can not decode the master", which is a real nuisance, but at least I do not lose my work. The other is the "File in Use" error, which doesn't allow saving or exporting. I get the "File in Use" error when trying to save. After that failed, I tried to export, but that failed too.

Thank so much for your help.

Don

[Thumb - Export settings1.jpg]
 Filename
Export settings1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
263 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
146 time(s)
[Thumb - Export settings3.jpg]
 Filename
Export settings3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
255 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
163 time(s)
[Thumb - Export settings2.jpg]
 Filename
Export settings2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
260 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
135 time(s)
[Post New]
Don,

Thank you for the screenshots and your words of appreciation.

You've selected "File Name" as your naming protocol and "Ask what to do" under Naming Conflicts (Export Destination). When exporting, do you get up to the dialogue box asking what to do? What is your typical response?

I export to the same folder too. but my preference is "File - Sequence", so the original is named (say) IMG_1234 & the adjusted versions are IMG_1234-1, IMG_1234-2 etc or if I modify IMG_1234-2, the exported file is named IMG_1234-2-1. That just a personal preference and certainly not related to your issue.

Have you checked your private messages (top of page) yet? There's a potentially useful suggestion for you.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, forgive me for butting in here. I found an on-line aritcle when I searched for you original error. The article stated:

"The program is compliant with all Canon and Nikon RAW file types because Cyberlink have licensed the SDK (Software Development Kit) from them. However when we downloaded a series of pictures into the program that were taken on a Canon EOS 60D, PhotoDirector flagged up an error message saying: "Cyberlink PhotoDirector is unable to decode the master". We contacted Cyberlink who were very fast at replying and correctly identified that the computer we were using hadn't had the latest driver updates for the graphics and sound card. A quick visit to the computer manufacturer's website fixed the issue and we could download the pictures properly after rebooting."

The article can be read here: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/cyberlink_photodirector_review/

I'm not sure if this even comes close to your situation but it is interesting. Is your computer up to date? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
There's no forgiveness required, Steve! It's a forum. The more eyes and thinking on an issue, the better.

Thank you for chiming in with your very useful pointers & jolly good research. Even though the review is on PhD 2011, it could well apply to Don's problem.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
JoeMarco [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 12, 2021 17:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Group,
My name is Joe and I'm new to PhotoDirector. I'm thinking about purchasing the software (Current version: 13.1.2406.0 (64-bit)).
I've currently got about two weeks left on the free trial.

I actually received a similar error message on PhotoDirector 13: "unable to decode the master".
I resolved the issue by closing all browsers, explorer windows, etc. and the restarting. I then reopened my PhD 13 project and the error was gone.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there was any formal resolution to this issue by CyberLink?
PIX - you seem extremely knowledgable regarding the software. Are you still an active participant of this forum?

Thank you in advance,
Joe