Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fading between 2 clips of same subject a few years apart - SOLVED
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I have 2 video clips taken a few years apart from the same spot. The earlier one is a 4:3 clip modified for 16:9 with blurred vertical edges - (which I specifically created for my current project). The later one is 16:9. I want to have the earlier clip showing, then fade/morph - or whatever - the newer clip in to continue the video.

The clips are actually of the London Eye by day (modified 4:3) and by night (16:9). I am not sure how to do this. Can someone please help me? Is there a tutorial available, such as PDToots?

Thanks.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 21. 2014 05:25

IanB
PowerDirector Ultimate 18.0.3801.0 (64bit)
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Nividia GeForce 720 Version 372.54 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GB x 2)
2 x 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard D
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I think you already answered your own question. Trim the clips and just use a overlay fade transition about say 5 sec. or whatever between the two clips.

If there is a major size difference and/or the ojects are off center, and you want to match the two as much as possible then fine adjustments are needed. One easier way to do it is as below unless you want to go to keyfaming opacity.
1. Put the 1st (day) clip on track 1.
2. Put the 2nd (night) clip on track2 and offset it to where you want it to start appearing relative to the first clip.
3. Place the fade transition on the beginning of the clip on track 2 of say 5 sec. or to length of end of 1st clip.
4. Place the cursor to the middle of the transition. You should see the both clips now.
5. Highlight the 1st clip and resize the object (London Eye) to approximate the size by moving the white balls at the edge of the preview window.
6. Click and drag the 1st clip to line up the center relative to the second clip as much as possible. Toggle the checkmarks for track1 or track2 videos to check the object alignment.

Note: If you had to resize the 1st clip smaller rather than larger, then you'll have clip 2 sides show through during the transition which you don't want.
If you offset the 1st clip too much, then the 2nd clip may show through also during the transition at one or two sides which you don't want. You will then need to create a mask and prerender that 1st clip as a separate project before using it in this project.

Let us know if this helps.
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc,

That worked fine.

IanB
PowerDirector Ultimate 18.0.3801.0 (64bit)
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Nividia GeForce 720 Version 372.54 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GB x 2)
2 x 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard D