Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help! Missing data!
pumpf78 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2014 13:52 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Since Cyberlink is not interested in giving help in any way, this is my only hope. I am in the process of creating a highlight film for my football team. I have lots of video clips inserted. Last night, while I was working on it, the program crashed and shut down. When I re-opened it, the "clips" are still on the timeline (complete with fade ins & outs) but there's no video: just black boxes where the video used to be. It looks like about a dozen black boxes (of varying length, which coincides with the length of the videos that used to be there).
Can anyone help me recover those videos? Or are the lost forever? And since this has already happened once (it crashed once when I first started... so, since then, I have been saving my project every step of the way. But, like I said, even though I've saved these things, they aren't there now).
Any way I can recover those clips without having to re-do 3 hours worth of work? And, if not, what's to stop this from happening again?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Open the last project based on time and date from the autosave.
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Forgive my technical ignorance... but how is opening it based on time and date different from opening it normally (since I have been saving it continuously)?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi pumpf78 -

What's to stop this from happening again?

A: Whilst working on a project, never move or rename media you've imported.

That's what causes those black blocks in the timeline(s). PDR doesn't physically import media - it retains the file locations. So, if things get moved or renamed it can't find them.

When you re-opened PDR after the crash, did it:
a. suggest it had found a temporary project & ask if you wanted to open it?
b. prompt you to browse for missing media?

Doing either of those things would restore your project. I guess you clicked "No" or "Ignore".

Try going to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0\AutoSave and opening the most recent .pds files in the list - if you're prompted to "browse", locate the media requested.

When you get time, take a look at the two tutorials called Project Management I & II listed here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29377.page

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
Thanks for your response. I don't remember clicking "No" or "Ignore"- but that doesn't mean that I didn't. I do get a constant "Do you want to merge media" message when I open it.
Just so I understand: are you saying that the program goes back to the original folder for the video clips (stored on my computere) and that if I change those folders, it will mess with the program's ability to use them? It is possible that I made some changes to the folder- although I didn't think I had changed the clips, themselves.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Yes - that's right.

If you move clips to a different folder/sub-folder, PDR won't be able to locate them till you show it where they are.

In the Project Management tutorials, you'll see a sound workflow that includes setting up a working folder for a project - including copies of media & project files. It's a good way to proceed.

Cheers - Tony
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. Am I correct in thinking that I'm (basically) screwed... and that I need to start over (but this time, don't mess with the original folder)?
ynotfish
[Post New]
I don't think you're "screwed" yet.

Have you tried tomasc's suggestion of opening the auto saved files? It's not the same as opening files you've saved yourself.

Cheers - Tony
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did try his suggestions. When I did, it had 2 files (that were, apparently?, autosaved). One was, basically, what I have now. The other one was a "draft" of my first work- before I had inserted most of these videos + music. I don't know if there is another place to go to open up autosaved files... ?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I did try his suggestions. When I did, it had 2 files (that were, apparently?, autosaved). One was, basically, what I have now. The other one was a "draft" of my first work- before I had inserted most of these videos + music. I don't know if there is another place to go to open up autosaved files... ?

The Auto save, is set to save a backup pds file every 10 minutes by default, if you have been working on you project for a little over 10 minutes before the program crashed, then you only have one backup.

Open that AutoSaved pds file and browse for the missing videos.
Good project management is to use SaveAs and give the changes a added number on the end of the name.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had been working for 3 hours... so I must not be searching correctly for the autosaved files (since I only "found"- I thought- two). Does it make any difference that I was using "save as" every 5 minutes or so (thinking that that would prevent this kind of thing from happening)? For my own sanity... can you tell me the steps for finding my auto-saved files? If it is possible to save this project, without having to start over, that would (obviously) be preferrable.
And I do appreciate your advice on using "save as". I will try that next time. THANK YOU!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I had been working for 3 hours... so I must not be searching correctly for the autosaved files (since I only "found"- I thought- two). Does it make any difference that I was using "save as" every 5 minutes or so (thinking that that would prevent this kind of thing from happening)? For my own sanity... can you tell me the steps for finding my auto-saved files? If it is possible to save this project, without having to start over, that would (obviously) be preferrable.
And I do appreciate your advice on using "save as". I will try that next time. THANK YOU!

Auto Save location for Powerdirector 13
It is a Hidden location. Change your Folder Options to show Hidden folders and files
C:\Users\UserName.ComputerName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0\AutoSave

It maybe a different "UserName.ComputerName", on my computer I have four different User names of which only one is the correct Location for PowerDirector 13 AutoSave files.

In Control panel > Folder Options, change the setting to show Hidden folders and files.

Then Look in C:\Users\ for the different users listed on your computer.

If you have not changed the Auto Save Location in PowerDirector, the location is listed at Preferences > Project.

If you did change the location, then the auto saved files are where you put them.

If you know the name of the project files you have Saved As, you can use search.
The idea of using File > Save Project As, is you can save the project file anywhere you want. Just navigate to the location where you want the Project files saved. Hopefully, in the same folder where you have the Export folder and the rest of your Project files.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl,
You have been so very helpful. Thank you! I did find the autosave files. Unfortunately, all of them have the same problem: the video files that were inserted are still there... and still blank. The audio file, however, is still there and intact. I guess the issue was my original folder?
Thanks for all your patience with me; you truly have been very kind to me! Thanks!
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK... so I deleted the "blank" video files and re-started from where the last video files remained. At some point, the project "nearly" crashed (it didn't crash- but it stopped for a considerable amount of time). When it was able to be worked with again, I saved it (with a different name). Just out of curiosity, I closed the program and opened it up again. Strangely- the same problem came back: all the new video files I inserted were blank (black) again.
Anyone???
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi pumpf78 -

If that's happening when you've "started again", you're doing something very basic in the wrong way. You can't keep doing that to yourself!

It's just the same issue you were having before. PDR cannot locate the media because they've been moved, renamed or a drive has become disconnected.

Try this:
1. On your desktop, make a new folder. Name it "Working Folder"
2. Copy and paste some video clips & photos into that "Working Folder"
3. Open a new PDR project
4. Import the photos and clips from the "Working Folder"
5. Insert all the video clips into the timeline
6. Save the project as "Working Project 1"
7. Close PDR - don't delete, move or rename ANYTHING in "Working Folder"
8. Re-open "Working Project 1" - it should be just as you left it.
9. Now - add the photos to the timeline
10. Use "Save As" to save the project as "Working Project 2"
11. Close PDR
12. Re-open "Working Project 2" - it should be just as you left it with photos & videos in the timeline

13. Now - take your "Working Folder" and move it somewhere else - say in your "Documents" folder. OK?
14. Re-open "Working Project 1"
15. PDR will prompt you to locate the media in "Working Folder"
16. Just for fun, click "Ignore All"

17. Try the same thing with "Working Project 2" BUT this time click Browse & locate the files PDR requests.

It took me longer to type that than it will take you to actually do it.

Cheers - Tony
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony- you have way more faith in me than I do... but I will try it. I was thinking... what if I just took out all the video clips from the project "storage" area... and then put them all back in- and didn't delete any of them (as I did the first time I tried to put the clips together). Would that work, too? That's the only thing I can guess is that when I realized I didn't want to use some of the clips, I deleted them from the "storage area". I don't know...

But I will most definitely try what you suggested. Does it matter that I'm not using any photos? Should I do it anyway, just for the purposes of this effort?
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I was doing what you suggested, I noticed something. I have my videos sorted into different sub-folders (inside of one folders, marked "football videos". Each subfolder is a different game.
Anyway... When I clicked, "add media", it immediately went to a particular subfolder. Last night, when I attempted to learn more about the clips that were "blank", each one listed itself as being from that subfolder- although I know they were not. So, am I right in thinking that the program wants to pull files out of that subfolder- files which are not located there? If so, will this fix it?
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
One last question: each time I add a video file to the timeline, it gives me an error message: Time Frame Rate Conflict- "the frame rate of the video (30FPS) does not match the projects Frame rate (29.97 FPS)... I've tried to change the FPS in the settings- but it says that it is set at 30FPS. Is this part of the problem? Will it be a problem when I try to produce the DVD?
pumpf78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
I tried what you said- and, as you expected, I got the same result (with project #1). With #2, I had to search for those files- and when I did, it worked. So obviously I must've done what you suspected at some point. So... is there a way I can "search" for the lost clips? Or, at this point, would it just be easier to put all of my clips into one folder (no subfolders), resave that folder and "start over" from the place where I've been having the problems?
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Tony,
I tried what you said- and, as you expected, I got the same result (with project #1). With #2, I had to search for those files- and when I did, it worked. So obviously I must've done what you suspected at some point. So... is there a way I can "search" for the lost clips? Or, at this point, would it just be easier to put all of my clips into one folder (no subfolders), resave that folder and "start over" from the place where I've been having the problems?

It is best if you have all of your project assets in one folder.

PDtoots Project management:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

Part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CYLYIynB0