Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Converting 1280 x 720 59.94 fps .wtv files
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Seems like I remember some posts on this subject a while back but don't remember the resolution of the problem if any. I had occasion during the past couple of days to convert such files, and found that the video/audio was badly out of sync. Tried various work-arounds, including first converting to dvr-ms with Microsoft and importing the .wtv's directly into PD 12. Tried these solutions on both my desktop and laptop and the result was always the same, video and audio badly out of sync. Don't have this problem with 1080p wtv's at 29.97, only the 720p's at 59.94. Finally tried converting the .wtv to MP4 in Handbrake before editing it in PD and that solved the problem, file perfectly in sync.

Just posting this as information for others who may encounter this situation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 06. 2014 18:48

Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Seems like I remember some posts on this subject a while back but don't remember the resolution of the problem if any. I had occasion during the past couple of days to convert such files, and found that the video/audio was badly out of sync. Tried various work-arounds, including first converting to dvr-ms with Microsoft and importing the .wtv's directly into PD 12. Tried these solutions on both my desktop and laptop and the result was always the same, video and audio badly out of sync. Don't have this problem with 1080p wtv's at 29.97, only the 720p's at 59.94. Finally tried converting the .wtv to MP4 in Handbrake before editing it in PD and that solved the problem, file perfectly in sync.

Just posting this as information for others who may encounter this situation.

Try changing your frame rate in Preferences > General to 60 fps (NTSC.)

[Thumb - Frame rate in Preferences.png]
 Filename
Frame rate in Preferences.png
[Disk]
 Description
60 fps
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
400 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 06. 2014 22:39

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Carl, I had done that. I always try to duplicate the framerate, bitrate, etc. when I edit and convert files. BTW, I don't think this is a Cyberlink problem. Since I made this post I tried playing the file after converting it to dvr-ms and it was already out of sync before I imported it into PD12. I did this on two different machines with the same result. It looks like 720p 59.94fps .wtv files are a particular challenge to convert, and thus far the only way I have found to convert them properly is with Handbrake first. After that, they can be edited in PD and rendered at 59.94 and the result is in sync. Time-consuming, but the only alternative I've yet found. Fortunately I seldom have occasion to convert this type of file. Unfortunately, those occasions are so few and far between that I will probably have forgotten about this method by the time I do another one!

CORRECTION! I tried this again with the same file, and this time the audio/video was in sync after the dvr-ms conversion but got out of sync after rendering in PD12 using the settings above. I could have been mistaken about the dvr-ms conversion unsyncing it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2014 10:07

Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I also remember some post from a senior member on this that I answered. I am using an earlier version of PD and win Vista for WMC recordings. The PD dvr-ms converter produced a mpeg file that audio is way out of sync as time moves on 720p60 recordings. Use Handbrake and you lose the 6 channel audio and get only stereo that is in sync for editing.

My solution is to use a freebee dvr-ms converter found on a google search that produce a mpeg file that does not recode the video in any way and keeps the 6 channel audio. I can then create a BD with all the commercials edited out with full 5.1 audio in sync as broadcasted. Use svrt and you'll have a prime program without the commercials.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Spam advertiser's post removed.
Dafydd