Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is Edited AVI Output to AVI Re-Encoded
Dubinvero [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Carolina Joined: Aug 31, 2014 15:29 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I just completed my first editing project in PD12. The source material was AVI. The edits include only titles and transitions. If I Produce a final output to AVI will the entire project be re-encoded? If the answer is yes, is there any way to avoid a complete re-encode?

I intend to use TMP for the MPEG encoding and authoring of the DVD.

Thanks,

Derek

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2014 09:28

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just completed my first editing project in PD12. The source material was AVI. The edits include only titles and transitions. If I Produce a final output to AVI will the entire project be transcoded? If the answer is yes, is there any way to avoid a complete transcode?

I intend to use TMP for the MPEG encoding and authoring of the DVD.

Thanks,

Derek

Read the technical information and help files on SVRT.

Why are you using two separate programs to do your project; that sometimes causes issues. If you are going to burn the project to a DVD; why not encode (render) to mpg2 which will be the format on the disc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2014 09:14

Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
Stevek,

Thanks for your quick response.

What is SVRT?

I already own TMPGenc and The TMP Authoring Software. I was under the impression that TMP did a better job of encoding to MPEG. There are a number of posts on this forum that praise the TMP Authoring software as superior and more flexible than PD12.

Do you know if PD12 re-encodes the entire file if outputting an AVI file to AVI?

I guess I could test the result for myself but thought that somebody here would have encountered the same problem. I guess my two options would be

1. Use PD12 to output MPEG then Author using TMP.

2. Use PD12 to output AVI then encode to MPEG and Author using TMP.

If PD12 does not re-encode I would favor option 2.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Derek
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Take a few seconds to read the help file! Intelligent SVRT is a function where the program looks at what has been changed in the original video and what the output would be (in your case AVI to AVI) and encodes only what needs to be re-encoded (Titles, cuts, transitions, etc.) So I think that answers your question.

There are some restrictions but it does work if you follow the rules.

I disagree that anything is significantly better than PowerDirector. How is it better? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have used only 6 other video editing programs and the result is still about the same. A 1920 by 1080 video with the same bit rates is pretty much the same from any of the editing programs. The major difference I see is in the ease of use and the "add-ons'). There are other factors such output formats involved also. (By the Way - Look at this rating from 10 Ten)
http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

It would be nice if Power Director could make ISO files and burn the ISO files and folder sets to DVD. I do use other software for rhose kinds of burns (IsoBurn, Power Produce, a software package from R (unnamed. Cyberlink is about due to release new versions of their software; perhaps that have added these features). .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
stevek,

Thanks again for your help.

I encoded my original AVI file using PD12 at 8000 and TMPGenc at 9200. Although the 9200 sample rate gave a marginally better picture, both were clearly inferior to the original AVI file.

The reason I am striving for the best quality is that the source AVI files I am working with are professional conversions of Super Film that I had done by Cinepost in Atlanta. Any loss in quality is readily noticeable.

I read up on SVRT. The AVI profile in PD12 shows only a bitrate of 25fps. SVRT is showing that none of my edited file is eligible for smart rendering. Is this because of the 25fps frame rate.?

Thanks,

Derek

stevek
[Post New]
You said I encoded my original AVI file using PD12 at 8000 and TMPGenc at 9200. Although the 9200 sample rate gave a marginally better picture, both were clearly inferior to the original AVI file. "

Where were you watching the video? What format were you encoding to. Remember that AVI is uncompressed where the other normal available formats are somewhat compressed. If you leave it as AVI where would you play it?

Suggestion: Get someone else to watch at least a short segment of each of the videos without telling them the source. Ask if they see any difference. It is probably tough to be objective if you know that one of the videos has a higher bit rate than the other.

What is the Super Film -- the source?

Why are you re-encoding the source file? What format/ resolution is the source. Are you working with high definition?

Since I don;t know the properties of the source, I can't guess why SVRT is not availble. It could be your computer set up or it could be the program version level.
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
stevek
[Post New]
Ok I'm adding some additional information since you are reluctant to read and try to understand on your own. Please remember that ths is a users group and not Technical Support. Most of the answers given here are from experience and if there is none, then the answers may be overly broad. By the way, so far I count at least three plugs for programs and services. Please do not post the names unless they are necessary. Have you gone back to the originator of the source file and asked them?

Have you even tried to read the Users' Guide? Here: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/user_guide/powerdirector/12/PowerDirector_UG_ENU.pdf

Utilizing Intelligent SVRT
Intelligent SVRT* (Smart Video Rendering Technology) is a proprietary rendering technology from CyberLink that assists in the output of your video productions by suggesting which video profile you should use.
Note: * optional feature in CyberLink PowerDirector. Check the version table on our web site for detailed versioning information.
Based on the format of original video clips in your project, what portions of the clips were modified (and therefore require rendering during production), and which portions of them were not changed (and thus can be skipped over during the
rendering process),
Intelligent SVRT suggests the video profile that will result in the best output quality possible, and save you the most time during production.

To utilize Intelligent SVRT, do one of the following:
when editing your video production in the Edit window, right-click on the timeline and select Show SVRT Track.

in the Produce window, click the IntelligentSVRT button on the Standard2D or 3D tab.

In the Intelligent SVRT dialog that displays, CyberLink PowerDirector auto selects the video profile it suggests you use to output your video production, and some other video profiles you can utilize.

Note: view the SVRT information in the Edit window for more detailed information, including which video clips need rendering. If you viewing the SVRT information in the Produce window, click the Details (Edit) button to quickly switch to the Edit
window

Note: More in the Users Guide.

Sorry I seem so abrupt. The questions areanswered in one of the resources that are available. If you like TMP and it gives you what you want, why are you trying to use Power Director? .
Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
Since my original question "Is Edited AVI Output to AVI Re-Encoded" was never answered and I could not get SVRT to work, I am answering my own question to help anyone following this thread.

I dug out the answer from a 2012 thread on the same subject.

PD12 cannot output an edited DV-AVI file without re-encoding the entire project.

PD12 cannot output an unedited DV-AVI file without re-encoding the entire file.

PD12 cannot output uncompressed DV-AVI. Consequently SVRT cannot work for DV-AVI files.

Derek
stevek
[Post New]
Hi Dubinvero, What version and level of Power Director did that refer to? .
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Since my original question "Is Edited AVI Output to AVI Re-Encoded" was never answered and I could not get SVRT to work, I am answering my own question to help anyone following this thread.

I dug out the answer from a 2012 thread on the same subject.

PD12 cannot output an edited DV-AVI file without re-encoding the entire project.

PD12 cannot output an unedited DV-AVI file without re-encoding the entire file.

PD12 cannot output uncompressed DV-AVI. Consequently SVRT cannot work for DV-AVI files.

Derek

Derek, keep in mind, avi is a "container" not a actual video format and yes the video is compressed. What that means is the avi extension could contain, Divx, Cinepak, Indeo, RealVideo, MPEG-4,... many different compression schemes of the video presented in the container. They look the same on the outside as they have a avi extension but the are different. Although weak, here is a overview of containers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats PD since SVRT was introduced, even PD12, yes all versions, only allows SVRT for DV-AVI type avi files. So if you produce a DV-AVI with PD and reuse that within PD and produce to DV-AVI again, SVRT will apply and work just fine. As such, the applicability is very narrow and does not apply to any generic avi file, there are not a lot of current Microsoft DV-AVI type files being created these days.

You could check your original avi file with the freeware code MediaInfo and see what the video format really is. To answer your OP, more than likely it's not DV format, hence PD utilizing SVRT will not work and the project will be 100% encoded when producing AVI within PD.

Jeff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2014 12:40

Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
JL_JL,

Thanks for your help.

The files I was working with were identified as Panasonic Exsate.AVI. To help eliminate this as a source of the Re-Encode problem, I used PD12 to capture a segment from the original tape using the Panasonic DV camera.

I produced this unedited file to AVI but again SVRT would not work and the entire file was re-encoded.

Attached is a copy of the MediaInfo analysis of the PD12 Capture. To me it looks like a Standard DV-AVI.

If I am correct and PD12 cannot export uncompressed DV-AVI then I will produce my project to MPEG-2 using the highest quality profile.

JL_JL thanks again for your helpful feedback.

Derek
 Filename
PD12 Capture from Camcorder.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
252 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Derek,

The best way to check if SVRT is working in PD12 for DV-AVI file is to:
1) drop 10 of the same nature.wmv into the timeline
2) produce with AVI, DV-AVI setting
3) return to timeline
4) remove the 10 nature.wmv and put in the timeline the single DV-AVI file from step 2
5) produce with AVI, DV-AVI setting

You will notice the produce time is significantly shorter than the time it took for step 2, so no encoding, SVRT being used and the SVRT box is selectable, see pic. If you are judging SVRT status based on timeline View > "SVRT Information", I've seen that red status bar is not always a good indicator.

Jeff
[Thumb - SVRT_DV-AVI.png]
 Filename
SVRT_DV-AVI.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
153 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
97 time(s)
Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
JL_JL,

I implemented your 5 step process twice.

1. First render 57 seconds, 2nd render 55 seconds.

2. First render 57 seconds, 2nd render 56 seconds.

As you know I had to change the framerate from the first to the second render.

I could not engage Intelligent SVRT and had a solid red status bar for both processes. The Profile showed Other with no details.

I think the small time differences could be attributed to background process variations on my PC. I did not shut down all other processes.

The previous thread that I referenced was started on 09/11/2012 by Caesium-137 in the PowerDirector (previous versions) forum. Based on my own experience and what is covered in the referenced thread, it would appear to confirm that PD12 cannot produce an uncompressed DV-AVi file.

Jeff, I greatly appreciate your support on this problem. As I said in my previous post, I will output my project to MPEG-2 using the highest quality profile.

Derek

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: JL_JL,
As you know I had to change the framerate from the first to the second render.

What do you mean by this, no I don't know? SVRT will not support a framerate change. It needs to be the same, within small margin, or it will be encoded again.

Step 2 I get 59 seconds
Step 5 I get 10 seconds

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2014 22:53

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
JL_JL ,

Please check your PMs...thanks. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
JL_JL,

The Nature.wmv file was a PAL video with a framerate of 25fps. Of course when this was rendered to DV-AVi it became 29.7 NTSC.
I did wonder why a PAL video was included in the process. The Pal version of Nature.wmv automatically populates my Media Library. I guess Murphy's Law is at work here.

I downloaded the NTSC version of Nature.wmv from the SampleClips folder and re-ran the 5 step process.

This time I again got the solid red status bar and Intelligent SVRT could not be enabled.

There was a larger difference in render times. Render 1 took 63 seconds compared to render 2 at 56 seconds.

Here is the link to the previous thread on this topic. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25569.page

Jeff, I appreciate your help and patience.

Derek
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did you check in PD, you are producing Type I and not Type II DV-AVI correct? Gear setting icon in "Produce" under the profile name dialog box. SVRT not supported for Type II. PD will not reset when restarted, it keeps your last setting to my knowledge.

Jeff
Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
JL_JL,

I repeated the process and made sure that Type 1 was selected each time. I got the same result. Intelligent SVRT could not be enabled, solid red status bar, with render 1 and render 2 each taking 60 seconds.

Derek
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The Nature.wmv file was a PAL video with a framerate of 25fps. Of course when this was rendered to DV-AVi it became 29.7 NTSC.
I did wonder why a PAL video was included in the process. The Pal version of Nature.wmv automatically populates my Media Library. I guess Murphy's Law is at work here.

There is both PAL and NTSC Sample video.

Which one you get in the library depends on your TV Mode set in Preferences > General when you open Powerdirector.

If TV Mode is PAL, you get a PAL nature.wmv.

If TV Mode is NTSC, you get a NTSC nature.wmv.

To test, Set your TV mode to NTSC, close PD, then open PD, check the properties of nature.wmv.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dubinvero [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312,

I did as you suggested, made sure NTSC was selected in settings, restarted PD and the NTSC version of Nature.wmv was automatically loaded.

Thanks for your help.

Derek