Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 8.1 now BSOD
IEATSRT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 29, 2013 12:37 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, fairly new to the forum but having some issues. Power director 12 has been working ok in the past, the odd little crash and sometimes laggy video but manageable. However, last week I finally updated to windows 8.1 and now no matter what I try my computer has a BSOD when I am trying to edit videos with Powerdirector 12. PD is up to date with latest patches. Windows is up to date as well as all drivers that I got via Toshiba service station.

Computer:

Toshiba Satellite P-70A
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4700mq cpu @ 2.4 ghz
Installed Ram 16.0GB (15.8 usable)
64-bit x64 based processor
Nividia GeForce GT740m Driver version 337.88

Up to this point I have tried everything. Running PD with Nvidia, various driver re-installs, installed Norton and searched for malware and still I am having no luck what so ever. Unfortunately I can't roll back as I didn't create a recovery date before I updated to 8.1.

Tried windows system file checker.... did not find any integrity violations.

I am at the point where I think I have to re-fresh my pc without effecting files or else wiping it and re-installing windows but I don't want to have to do that.

It appears to be a graphics related issue as it only seems to crash in power director when reviewing my work. Shadow files enabled, only trying to watch back in high resolution or less. Tried running normally with integrated graphics card or set as Nvidia no luck either way.

I have gotten numerous different indicators of why it crashes eg. Kmode_exception_not_handled, memory_management, dpc_watchdog violation, system_service_exception, kmode_exception_not_handled.. the list goes on.

I really don't know where to go from here, sorry I am not to great with computers. Any advice is really appreciated.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 28. 2014 15:03

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
You should not need shadow files on a husky PC. Be sure that the latest patch is installed...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/39179.page

If no joy, have you tested an UNinstall/reinstall of PD? For tools and tips see...
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16457&prodId=4&prodVerId=1052

Also, please attach the result of parts A & B, as instructed in the "Welcome" post at the top of the forum. No personal info is revealed.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 28. 2014 18:45

IEATSRT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply

Power Director Ultra 12.0.2930.0

Yes I installed the latest patch.

I hope I uploaded the attachment document correctly, again sorry I am not the best with computers. From what I can gather after a crash I have gone to the action center and it said Intel graphics driver stopped working. I have gone around and around in circles a couple times trying to update the intel driver however when I try updating manually with the device manager it says it is up to date, and also is the same driver that my Toshiba service station provided. I know there is a newer version out there however it says it will not work on my computer, I am guessing it is for newer generation processors.

From all I can tell I have the correct drivers installed yet still crashes. I have not tried uninstalling and then re-installing power director but looks like that will be my next best option. Thanks, will report back.

B
 Filename
BrandonDxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
200 time(s)
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
in PD, try various combinations of checking and UNchecking the boxes, under EDIT|PREFS|HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

The file indicates that Intel Video is running. Ostensibly, their latest driver is here...
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23885&lang=eng&ProdId=3720
Download the one listed as the "end user executable" then double-click on it to see if it will install.

Also noted is that 0 bytes are shown for "dedicated memory" on Intel video. That may or may not be relevant. If there are settings in an Intel control panel or in the BIOS to change that, you might set it to 64Mb.

If problems arise, roll back via Control Panel|DEVICE MANAGER|VIDEO ADAPTERS|<your video adapter>|DRIVERS tab.

If that did nothing, try switching over to NVidia exclusively. Their driver page is at http://geforce.com/drivers. Install the latest.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 28. 2014 20:15

IEATSRT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the link to the intel drivers. I have download that end user executable one numerous times, it just will not install and I've tried to do it a few different ways. I have found similar posts with people stating they are having trouble installing it and it concluded with it being a generic driver and some computers may require drivers specified by the manufacturer. Anyway, that driver is a no go on this laptop. I have tried a few ways to run power director exclusively with Nvidia graphics card however when in Nvidia control panel cannot deligate power director to open exclusively with Nvidia, integrated graphics remains the preferred method. I can change the global settings to Nvidia however, still power director remains with integrated graphics. If I right click power director I can select run with Nvidia processor however it has still crashed.

I have rolled back to pervious drivers but then I can't even open power director, it stops working immediately. When I update them again it brings me back to current drivers I have installed, which are also the ones obtained through Toshiba. I have been at this for a few days before I came looking here.

I will see if I can change "dedicated memory" on intel video and if still no luck will try uninstall/reinstall. It seems all the things you have mentioned I have pretty much already tried a couple of times so really running out of options.
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, about the only assurance I can give is that PD does run in 8.1.

The change to NVidia exclusively will likely have to be made via the BIOS. If that eludes you I suggest consulting with a PC guru or perhaps tech support for the manufacturer.
IEATSRT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your replies. Ya I am pretty much at a loss. Primary reason for buying this laptop was video editing with cyberlink and now it appears as though for the time being that is going to be a painful process. I uninstalled cyberlink and re-installed it still no good. Tried all combinations of hardware acceleration (Enable open cl, Hardware decoding) still will crash. Sometimes I am in there for a while before it crashes but eventually inevitably it does. I will see if I can figure out how to increase intel dedicated video memory or set up pd to run exclusively on Nvidia but think might be a bit much for me to handle.

Question though, do I have to download all patches or does the most recent contain all fixes from previous patches?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2014 01:09

borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Does the most recent contain all fixes from previous patches?

Yes.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death is unlikely to be due to PowerDirector.

Video editing is one of the most stressful for a computer and will throw up hardware related issues if and when the computer is stressed.

I note the lack of dedicated memory in the diagnostic also and borgus1 has mentioned this etc.

You should not be having the BSOD scenario and I suggest you contact your computer supplier and see what remedy they provide.

My own BSOD was down to a faulty motherboard/ram connection.

Dafydd
IEATSRT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks all for the responses it is nice to have some help. Dafydd I agree that power director in itself likely isn't the root cause of the BSOD, but rather the demands it is putting on the laptop. What I am having trouble with is that in the 8 or 9 months I had it in the past I never had one BSOD until I updated to 8.1. Do you think I should refresh without affecting files leave on windows 8 and try reinstalling power director? It seems to be the next logical step. I would have no problem staying on windows 8 if the program will not cause BSOD there. Or I can run it back to Future Shop where I bought it and see what their techs can figure out. That is a 6 hour round trip drive away but might be my best option. The laptop is less than a year old. Also, though Norton didn't find any issues could it be malware related? Is there a good malware detection program that wont cost an arm and a leg I could try?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2014 13:18

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks all for the responses it is nice to have some help. Dafydd I agree that power director in itself likely isn't the root cause of the BSOD, but rather the demands it is putting on the laptop. What I am having trouble with is that in the 8 or 9 months I had it in the past I never had one BSOD until I updated to 8.1. Do you think I should refresh without affecting files leave on windows 8 and try reinstalling power director? It seems to be the next logical step. I would have no problem staying on windows 8 if the program will not cause BSOD there. Or I can run it back to Future Shop where I bought it and see what their techs can figure out. That is a 6 hour round trip drive away but might be my best option. The laptop is less than a year old. Also, though Norton didn't find any issues could it be malware related? Is there a good malware detection program that wont cost an arm and a leg I could try?

Hi,
I imagine the 8.1 update triggered something in the hardware to cause the problem. My own BSOD also didn't happen for a long while 8 months or so of trouble free and then the PC started to crash under stress until it did the BSOD.

Google "Laptop name" & BSOD and see what comes up, to see if others have experienced the issue. I didn't find any posts on my BSOD that really helped, other than "it's a hardware issue etc". I built my PC (many PC's), so pulling parts out and isolating/testing was easy for me. A laptop is much more difficult. If you go to the tech shop, they'll likely take the laptop off you and send it to the manufacturers to deal with. I suggest you write down the issue and state how you can create the BSOD, give that information to the techs. Make sure your description of the actions you take are crystal clear and when followed, makes the laptop blue screen.

I cant answer the malware question - doesn't really fit the problem.

Sorry I cant be of more help - you need a hands on techie to check your laptop.

The above answer is a best guess, based on the information provided

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2014 13:36

rcohen [Avatar]
Member Location: Smokey mountains, TN Joined: Oct 10, 2013 21:44 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using Spybot Search and Destroy for years. The free version is all ya need.

http://www.safer-networking.org

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2014 15:07

RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital