Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Make a better DVD with no jaggies
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I just finished a 15 minute project using AVCHD from my Canon.
I produced to the same AVCHD24mb file type.
The result is a beautiful smooth video.
When panning, it looks great, PIPs fly into view with silky smooth action, it looks like I spent big $$$ on equipment.
Then I create my DVD folder with menu in PD, using the rendered HD file, and burn it in P2Go9.
What I get is kinda crappy. Panning is all broken up, and PIPs stutter into view. Looks cheap.
I expect less clarity due to SD standard, but for the first time I am looking for new workflow or even new burning software.
Any suggestions from my fellow editors? Should I render my file to MPEG2 first?
This is not new, just sick of it, and people still want DVD's, despite reports of them being near death.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2014 08:57

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just finished a 15 minute project using AVCHD from my Canon.
I produced to the same AVCHD24mb file type.
The result is a beautiful smooth video.
When panning, it looks great, PIPs fly into view with silky smooth action, it looks like I spent big $$$ on equipment.
Then I create my DVD folder with menu in PD, using the rendered HD file, and burn it in P2Go9.
What I get is kinda crappy. Panning is all broken up, and PIPs stutter into view. Looks cheap.
I expect less clarity due to SD standard, but for the first time I am looking for new workflow or even new burning software.
Any suggestions from my fellow editors? Should I render my file to MPEG2 first?
This is not new, just sick of it, and people still want DVD's, despite reports of them being near death.

Yes, try rendering the HD video to MPEG-2 HQ first.

The problem is multifold, you are down converting the HD and high bitrate video to low res and lower bitrate and Interlaced,
all in one go. Computer may struggle with all of the conversions.

Interlaced low resolution (SD) video is known to have artifacts with fast movement.
It is possible to get pretty good looking SD video on a DVD.
The trick is great quality MPEG2 (720x480 at 8.3 Mbps) video, Progressive if possible.

DVD Disk will still be interlaced, that is the DVD Standard. But you can get clean video to the DVD disk creation module.

Back in the days before High Definition Video, we just dumped the output from our VHS tape based camera to the DVD creator.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,
The HD file is interlaced, as is the source-footage.
DVDs are interlaced, so to go from interlaced>progressive>interlaced, does not seem quite right.
My computer is a beast and should handle it, but I'll try the MPEG2 conversion, interlaced, and see if it works better.
If that fails to satisfy me, I'll try MPEG2 progressive.
I just know it ruined my video.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Carl,
The HD file is interlaced, as is the source-footage.
DVDs are interlaced, so to go from interlaced>progressive>interlaced, does not seem quite right.
My computer is a beast and should handle it, but I'll try the MPEG2 conversion, interlaced, and see if it works better.
If that fails to satisfy me, I'll try MPEG2 progressive.
I just know it ruined my video.

Let us know how it turns out.

You may be correct going interlaced > progressive > interlaced, may be a bad move.

I do know that progressive video does not have interlacing artifacts.
So if you take a HD interlaced and make a SD progressive video the chances of have interlacing artifacts is less.

Another thing to watch for is field order, keep Top Field First. If you get that field order reversed, you do have interlacing artifacts.
Double check the Profiles. make sure no field reversal takes place.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
I burn progressive DVDs all the time. Not with PD though.

Granted most DVD players will output interlaced even if the DVD is progressive, but it still looks good. If you have a newer DVD player (one that up converts and has HDMI) that is connected to HDTV via HDMI, the disc will play as 480p. The software I use usually outputs as 720x480 @8Mbps progressive. So far have never had any issues playing this back on older DVD players connected via composite. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I rendered the HD file to MPEG2 SD, then brought that into my project. It runs far smoother. I used a customized profile. Raised the bitrate to 8,300, Q7, and noise removal. I left smoothing unchecked.
Now I will try a few more mods to see if I can make it a wee bit sharper. I think I will stay with interlaced for the time being.
Thanks so much. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I rendered the HD file to MPEG2 SD, then brought that into my project. It runs far smoother. I used a customized profile. Raised the bitrate to 8,300, Q7, and noise removal. I left smoothing unchecked.
Now I will try a few more mods to see if I can make it a wee bit sharper. I think I will stay with interlaced for the time being.
Thanks so much.

You might try putting the Mpeg-2 SD video on the timeline and try Fix/Enhance > Video Enhancement. Start with 50 for the degree (default value). I have seen that make a marked improvement in the appearance of the video.

I wish there was a sharpen function in Powerdirector, but I do not see one.

BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
The sharpen function in PD is Fix/Enhance, Color Adjustment, and it's the bottom function on the right. I start with about 50. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: The sharpen function in PD is Fix/Enhance, Color Adjustment, and it's the bottom function on the right. I start with about 50.

So it is, thanks for the pointer.

windrider76 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2014 06:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
After trying to solve my issue through Support, sending FTP copies of original / product / diagnostic files, and no answer other than 're-escalate to R&D' for last 8 business days, I came across this post. May I ask for your help?

My original source file is from a GoPro (Hero3+ Black) creating a MP4 file, type H.264 AVC, 1920x1080 / 30 FPS with data rate of 35004 kbps and bitrate of 35132 kbps. I've tried several different combinations in the Produce and Create Disc steps. Here are a couple screen shots to show the difference in the quality between the .mp4 file from the Produce step and the DVD created in the Create Disc step

[https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oVoBppxQd_q47lXAIao3udMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink]

After reading this post, I tried the recommendation to bring in the original file, run it through the Produce step to output a MPEG-2 SD file, bring that in to the Timeline, apply Fix/Enhance/Video Enhance at 50 and Fix/Enhance/Color Adjustment/Sharpen to 15, then burning the DVD, I'm still getting less than satisfactory playback results.

Any other avenues I can follow? I really like the editing features in PD 12 Ultra, and the MP4 files loaded to Vimeo are excellent quality and good way to share videos with some of my 'consumers.' However, others prefer a DVD, and I really need this capability.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
What are you watching the DVD on? That sceenshot is 1902x1080. Any time to view SD video on HD device, the image is stretched to fit which can cause degradation.

When viewing, don't force Windows Media Player to full screen, but native viewing size.

If played through a 'DVD" player to HDTV, the player should be connected via HDMI. Some 'DVD' players have upscaling feature. Most 'Bluray' players will upscale DVD output automatically.

I've used PD to down convert HD to SD and it looks fine to me. Perhaps you're expectation is more than SD can provide. Your screenshot appears fine for SD that is stretched.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 09. 2014 11:17

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
windrider76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, the screenshot was 1920x1080 and I was using Win Media Player, but that's just to give an idea of the difference I actually see when comparing a DVD to the MP4 file. When playing on either of my 'test' DVD players, both have a 'jaggies' problem. One older DVD player is hooked up through 'component' input to it's TV, the newer DVD does have upscaling capabilities and is connected via HDMI to it's TV.

I guess I was hoping for a little better SD DVD playback, especially on subjects like this estate home; there are a lot of details in the roofing, window blinds, driveway pavers that get a funky 'ripple' effect while the camera is moving up to the subject. I'm hoping to create DVD's for marketing purposes that can play on a wide range of equipment (i.e. don't require a BluRay.)
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
That ripple effect is almost impossible to eliminate with SD. I've seen some people suggest a 1px Gaussian blur which will soften it, but not eliminate it. SD has always had this ripple/jaggie effect especially with vertical or diagonal lines when panning. Happens even if you are shooting SD!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2014 11:45

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've seen some people suggest a 1px Gaussian blur which will soften it, but not eliminate it.
I've noticed the same thing with my SD videos but have just been living with it. I'd like to try this, but I can't find a "Gaussian blur" tool in PD. A search shows various tutorials for using it in Photoshop and other programs, but nothing about PD that I can find. If it's available in PD can you give us a clue where we can find it, or suggest some other method of applying this effect? Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I read that suggestion on another software forum. I would have to look in PD to see if this is possible. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BillyR
[Post New]
Thanks, Gary. I don't believe that it's available in PD unless my eyes and searching ability are even worse than I think. Anyway, I have a feeling I wouldn't be willing to tolerate the "blurring" effect just to soften it without getting rid of it. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
I have Power Director 12 - Ultra. Gaussian blur is in my "fx" room...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2014 13:07

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
BillyR
[Post New]
Quote: I have Power Director 12 - Ultra. Gaussian blur is in my "fx" room...
So it is. Not a place that I've been to before. I'll give it a try. Thanks! Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I found that producing my video (consisting of over 150 elements) to a single MPEG2 file (60i) was all I needed to produce a smooth DVD-ready video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2014 17:08

windrider76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your tips and suggestions!