Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do you only get 2 tracks from one video? I need 3 tracks for my commentary.
xxS1RExx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 17:44 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have used Sony vegas for awhile now and recently purchased PowerDirector 12 cause of of its good value and powerful editing tools.

The problem I'm having is that when I load a gameplay video that has commentary I only get 2 tracks loaded in PowerDirector 12.

I get the video from the gameplay and the sound but I don't get the sound from my commentary that was recorded. I use Mirillis action

and it records a gameplay audio track from my headset. I need 3 tracks to load up in PowerDirector or all my gameplay videos are

no good to me at all. Is there a way to extract that audio portion(my commentary) of the video to be loaded onto a separate track?

I need all 3 tracks to make a good video for Youtube and if I can't salvage these videos then I going to need a refund.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Click the Track Manager to add Tracks. PowerDirector 12 supports up to 100 tracks.

You can read about Track Manager in the Powerdirector Help. Use the Search term of 'Track Manager' without quotes.

[Thumb - Track Manager.PNG]
 Filename
Track Manager.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Track manager to add tracks.
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1011 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 05. 2014 19:06

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have used Sony vegas for awhile now and recently purchased PowerDirector 12 cause of of its good value and powerful editing tools.

The problem I'm having is that when I load a gameplay video that has commentary I only get 2 tracks loaded in PowerDirector 12.

I get the video from the gameplay and the sound but I don't get the sound from my commentary that was recorded. I use Mirillis action

and it records a gameplay audio track from my headset. I need 3 tracks to load up in PowerDirector or all my gameplay videos are

no good to me at all. Is there a way to extract that audio portion(my commentary) of the video to be loaded onto a separate track?

I need all 3 tracks to make a good video for Youtube and if I can't salvage these videos then I going to need a refund.

Yes, you can extract the audio and put it in a separate track.

Two tracks is what you get as the default before you have added any in your project. Once you have added tracks and saved the project file, when you recall the project all of the tracks that were added will be there when the project opens.

Powerdirector has two Audio only tracks, the Music Track and the Voice over track. (They are at the bottom of the timeline, Scroll to see).
You can put Audio only or Video only in any track in PowerDirector.

The Audio tracks are special purpose. Smart Sound can only be put in the Music or Voice over track.
When you record a voice over in PowerDirector, the Voice Over Track is where the microphone is recorded.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

xxS1RExx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 17:44 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
When I drag the video and drop it I only get 2 tracks - the video, and the gameplay audio, not my commentary track.
In sony vegas when i drag and drop the video onto the editing timeline 3 tracks pop up - the video, the gameplay audio, and my commentary. I need to know if I can get my commentary to appear somehow, not how to add a commentary track by adding a track.

Oh and thank you for trying to help I really appreciate it and if I misunderstand your description im sorry and I'll think harder about wat you type lol

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 05. 2014 19:28

[Post New]
If I understand right, PD12 does what you want perfectly.
When you open PD12 he already has the 3 track you want and even more.
Note: That the numbering 1.2 ... is only for tracks (audio + video) that you can add more as shown by Carl312.
Note: PD12 priority of the tracks, is reverse to the Sony Vegas.
The track below will overlay the track above.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2014 22:09

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
What are you using to record your game play with commentary? Does the video have three tracks of audio (left/right/commentary)? Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: When I drag the video and drop it I only get 2 tracks - the video, and the gameplay audio, not my commentary track.
In sony vegas when i drag and drop the video onto the editing timeline 3 tracks pop up - the video, the gameplay audio, and my commentary. I need to know if I can get my commentary to appear somehow, not how to add a commentary track by adding a track.

Oh and thank you for trying to help I really appreciate it and if I misunderstand your description im sorry and I'll think harder about wat you type lol

Are you saying that the game Video is recorded with three channels of audio?

Have your tried switching the audio to 5.1 channels in Powerdirector?
Preferences > General. Audio Channels (Stereo or 5.1 Surround).

If 5.1 channels does not work, you will have to use a third party software (VLC?) to extract your commentary.
Then add and mix the third audio into one video.

You will end up with two channel audio with the commentary mixed in with the game play.

CompulsionNRA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2014 21:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same trouble. Maybe I can clarify. The Action! software allow gameplay recording in 2 channel stereo with the option of recording a separate mic track for commentary. I tried doing the same thing and PD only recognizes the game audio, not my mic track.

What we would like to do is import all 3 audio tracks (left, right, and mic) from the video file that are already imbedded. Right now I can't see or access the mic in the video from PD. I own PD ultimate 12.

This post discusses the imbedded mic track: http://forum.mirillis.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31077

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 16. 2014 21:37

Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
If I may pop in with a couple Tips [suggestions/workarounds]...

I have run into this as well. I recently purchased PD12 [woohoo! ] and when I tried to import 8-channel audio into PD12 and it seems to only create 1-2 Audio Tracks for it (Left/Right, and possibly mixing in Center/Surround or an External). I cannot see directly if it is multiplexing channels, but it sounds alright - as long as you only want the 'main' audio tracks of a recorded game - it seems that any other audio tracks that are in a video file with multitrack audio (eg. 7.1, commentary, music, external, or multi-channel) are being ignored/discarded.

Looking at the Version Comparison for PD12 editions here, it seems that even the Deluxe version can import 7.1 Audio, but it has to be in WAV format/tracks...

So, my suggestion is to get Mirillis to output the audio as separate WAV files, if it can do so. I know that Bandicam can do this and so can Dxtory (up to 8 tracks as separate WAV files). Then, you should be able to simply drag the audio files created in as separate tracks.

Another thing you can do is, use the software that came with your soundcard/headphones to balance your volume levels out, so that you won't need to edit the audio levels in your Project in PD12. If your software that came with your soundcard/headphones doesn't have such adjustments (or didn't come with any software at all), you can still try it with the built-in Windows Sound (eg. Recording Tab) volume levels. You can can also assign a couple of different keys for Push-To-Talk and Push-To-Record settings, between these utilities/interfaces and the programs you are using (Audio Software, Steam, Skype, etc). Overall, you should be able to get a balance you want and be able to control when it is recording from what, with different sets of Push-keys configured... All of this will just take a bit of work to set up.

Hopefully one or both of these options will work for you for now, until they patch in the ability to import multitrack-audio files (or put it in PD13).

Good luck with it!

Edit:
Added another option and clarified a bit

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 17. 2014 16:53

[Post New]
Quote: I'm having the same trouble. Maybe I can clarify. The Action! software allow gameplay recording in 2 channel stereo with the option of recording a separate mic track for commentary. I tried doing the same thing and PD only recognizes the game audio, not my mic track.

What we would like to do is import all 3 audio tracks (left, right, and mic) from the video file that are already imbedded. Right now I can't see or access the mic in the video from PD. I own PD ultimate 12.

This post discusses the imbedded mic track: http://forum.mirillis.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31077

It seems that the PD12 not support this file type.
If you want to post here an excerpt from the original file, 10-20 sec.
We analyze, talves find how to do that either.

Other: see if the sofware capture, the option to record audio (microphone) mixed to normal L and R channels and eliminates the 3rd audio channel AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
CompulsionNRA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2014 21:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If I may pop in with a couple Tips [suggestions/workarounds]...

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the quick response. I found out after posting that alternate software is available to pull the 2nd audio stream. Virtual dub does it, but it's an added step I don't want to deal with. You can definitely add a ton of audio tracks into PD easily, but it can't discern 2 imbedded tracks unfortunately. The alternate / completely independent audio track is very important since I want to be able to not only amplify it, but save parts based on how I trim the video.

As another note, whenever I tried to add the video with audio commentary in a separate track I got a shadow file error in PD. It does edit, but prompts me for every file.

Fortunately for me I am trying several types of capture software. I really like Action, but it only embeds the audio at this time. I'm checking out Dxtory and Play Claw since they both post separate audio tracks in wav. I got very frustrated since I just bought PD and it didn't work for what I needed. Luckily I now know what alternate software options I need before I buy them. I'm trying claw and Dxtory today. I think this is just a knowledge is power type thing. You just have to recognize the specific problem with PD and find a software that caters to it or does it another way.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 17. 2014 16:55