Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Basic hardware and system settings to optimize PD12?
Nigelegg714 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Minnesota, USA Joined: Jun 21, 2014 23:56 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a new PD12 user. My computer is optimized for use as a digital audio workstation (using Cubase 7, Presonus FP12 audio interface via firewire). I have a Powerspec (MicroCenter) computer with 8G RAM, Intel i5 quad processor at 3.4 GHz, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I don't have a graphics card; the Control Panel lists Intel HD Graphics 4000 as my display adapter.
My first PD12 project (a music video) has gotten quite large (numerous clips, rendered movies, FX, PiP objects, etc.) and the program frequently freezes, stops responding, blue screen, etc. Is this caused by not having a video card, or extra video memory perhaps? Or could it be caused by the settings I have enabled to optimize my digital recording?

I use Steinberg's basic settings to optimize audio, as follows -
In the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Performance Settings, you can find the option "Adjust for best performance"
Any energy saving option should be deactivated or set to "none".
Disable Hyper-Threading
Disable advanced power-saving and dynamic performance options for your CPU. This usually needs to be done in the BIOS or UEFI of your computer and includes Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (EIST), AMD Cool 'n' Quiet, Intel Turbo Boost, and AMD Turbo CORE.
Processor scheduling" options, set it to "Background services"

I guess my basic question is, how important is it to add a video card?
Thanks

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Enable hyper threading, and see if that impacts performance.

Check the Intel WEB site for an updated driver...
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics (Intel)

While Intel 4000 is not in the highest rank it surpasses the NVidia GTX 650 here, according to http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

That card, and its cousins, have been reported to perform satisfactorily with PD. So one might conclude that the 4000 should be up to the task.

Test different settings in Intel's configuration. Others may suggest specifics.

There are also other considerations, such as disk space...
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16444&prodId=4

Clear PD temp files: EDIT|PREFERENCES|GENERAL|MANUALLY DELETE button
But, as forum contributor Carl cautions...
Don't delete temporary files while in the middle of a project.
Some are used during the editing and various functions while in a project. Otherwise none are necessary.

Clear Windows temp files by opening File Explorer/Manager, right-clicking the C: drive and clicking on DISK SPACE
Defrag the drive (not if it's an SSD) via Control Panel|ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS|DEFRAGMENT AND OPTIMIZE DRIVES
Temporarily disconnect from the NET and turn off anti-virus.

An I7 upgrade is also a thought, if a spendy one.
In your next post, please include a dxDIAG text attachment.
See parts A and B at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 28. 2014 17:58

Nigelegg714 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Minnesota, USA Joined: Jun 21, 2014 23:56 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Many thanks! The temp file retention was set to 30 days, I had over 2 Gbytes that I deleted. I updated the intel driver (mine was a year behind). As it turns out, my intel i5-3570-k cpu does not include hyper-threading. I run program files from a small ssid disk and keep data on the regular hard drive - plenty of space on both (152GB and 1.5TB respectively). I did run the two dxdiag files, I'll run again if problems continue after making the changes you recommended. I really should have waited to reply to your post until after I had worked in PD12 for a while, but wanted to say thanks.
Nigel.
 Filename
nigelegg714DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
348 time(s)
 Filename
nigelegg714DxDiag64.txt
[Disk]