CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Samsung SC-MX20 camcorder and included MediaShow4
Reply to this topic
david [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Sep 23, 2008 10:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Recently purchased the new Samsung SC-MX20 camcorder that came with MediaShow4 editing software.
Problem is MediaShow4 does not do the basic editing features that are concidered editing,, no titles, credits and only a few if any transisions.

So far I have been using Windows Movie Maker as MediaShow4 lacks basic editing features.

Problem is, if Im not using MediaShow4 I have to convert the format of the Samsung to work with Movie Maker and I fear I am degrading the video quality form the Samsung in the converting process.

So my questions would be.

A: How do you make a editor that does not include BASIC editing tools such as titles and credits,, makes no sense to me at all.
B: If I purchase Power Director will that work with my Samsung ?
C: If I purchase H.264 Pack for WMP will that also allow me to edit with Windows Movie Maker ?

Thanks for any help in advance
Davyo

murphy [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Sep 27, 2008 13:54 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I would also like an answer to this as the mediashow 4 software that came bundled with the mx 20 will not even load to install in my drive, nothing wrong wth drive as other cd's install fine, don't want to send camera back as that works great and very pleased with it. So yeah, not very happy!
kim [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 13, 2008 20:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I too am having issues. I got the software to load as it came with my Samsung SC-MX20R camcorder. but when I attempted to read any of my files I just hear sound and get no video. Is it because the software needs to register? If so, where does one get a cey for a Bundle Version? Why no video? I need help in getting video and perhaps registering the software if one can figure out what to put down for a key.
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 19, 2008 23:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased this camera over the weekend. Nice little camera but now I'm having some issues with MediaShow4 myself. I was able to install the software. I had to double-click on the Setup.exe file on the CD drive. My issue is that I shot some footage at 16x9 but when I try to make a DVD, the footage looks off. It looks like its more 4x3 instead of 16x9. Does anyone know what I should click on to adjust the aspect ratio?
Norman [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 24, 2008 03:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I too have just purchased the VP-MX20 with bundled Mediashow 4 software and am having the same 'aspect ratio' problems.

I have spoken to Samsung technical who blame the software. I will be emailing Cyberlink tech for a response to specific questions.

Firstly let's face it, I paid £117.49 for a brand new SD camcorder with 34x optical zoom, quite a few features, and reasonable picture quality; so I would not expect to get an all singing all dancing machine/software for that money. Having said that the software is a bit naff, but maybe tech's answer will improve that. I personally have had no problems loading the software (Vista) nor updating it with the latest versions, despite my machine spec not being upto their 'minimum' standard.

From playing around with the camcorder and software I have deduced the following:

Irrespective of the shooting ratio (16-9 or 4-3) the camcorder stores the image in 5-4 aspect ratio. (Samsung for some unknown reason love 5-4 and most of their monitors were/are? 5-4) This is why when downloading the video to the software it seems to be 'squashed'. However if you make a DVD of the video and play it back on a TV and select the aspect ratio on the TV you recorded in, it plays back perfectly. This is the same as playing the video from the SD card through the camcorder.

My problem is with the software not chaning the aspect ratio when writing out to a WMV/MPEG2 file. It does give a black box in the selected mode (16-9 or 4-3) but the video does not fill the box as it maintains its 5-4 aspect; which makes it distorted when playing back through a PC. Hence my questions to Cyberlink.

I will be playing around with it over the next couple of weeks and if I get any more info I will update.

regards, Norman
ed [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Nov 17, 2008 22:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
seems may people have questions yet the software company does not even monitor this forum to answer questions.....

Pretty sad ... makes you wonder if buying any of the other products from them is wise...

I am getting no video out onto the screen either.
Don R [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Nov 26, 2008 14:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I, too, purchased the Samsung SC-MX20 and it came with Cyberlink Mediashow 4. The software would not work. I went to the website and downloaded the patch and installed it and it still would not work. Turns out the MX20 uses the Mpeg-4 file format and it appears that MediaShow4 does NOT support that format. I have submitted a request for help on this to Cyberlink's Tech Support, but no reply as yet. It seems odd to me that Samsung would ship software with that camera that does NOT work with that camera. I will likely have to go out and purchase a program that will work with Mpeg-4 files. Another example of very poor customer service!
Aslan [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 08, 2008 02:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_5_en_US.html

2008-11-06 Update for Samsung Cam MediaShow: This update is for Samsung customers who purchased a Digital Camera model: MX20. This downloadable update adds aspect ratio detection (0-none, 1-4:3, 2-16:9) and extends the system tray update message display time to 10 seconds.

This patch can fix the Aspect ratio(non 16:9) issue.

Aspect ratio(non 16:9) issue should be MX20's problem, bcz it's also not 16:9 in QuickTime player.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2008 02:31

Christine [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 19, 2008 15:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I bought the Samsung MX20 and when I try to launch MediaShow4, I get the following message: "You do not have the compatible VGA hardware or driver to run MediaShow". Can anyone help me?
marco [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 19, 2008 04:29 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Christine, check for updated video card driver
Deborah [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 21, 2008 23:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem as Christine with my vga and sound card drivers. My problem is that I go to my conputer manufac. website and I still don't have the correct drivers. Is there someplace to get them? And is it possible that my computer is not capable of having these drivers. I fear that this software will never work on my computer.
MarkG [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: Blue Bell, Pa Joined: Jan 02, 2009 14:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,
Seems like alot of people are having issues with this software. Seems to work fine on my Laptop with Vista, but I loaded the software on m desktop which uses XP home and everytime I try to open a video, I get the error message that a problem has occurred and the program needs to shut down. I've sent an e-mail to Cyberlink support, but no answer yet either. Also I realized that the CD came with no activation code, but if you click on the "About MediaShow" to see what version you have, there is an activation button, and when you click on it, it asks for a 30 digit activation code. Any thoughts about that ?
Roberto [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 03, 2009 04:51 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
[SOLUTION FOR ASPECT RATIO]

Hi everyone!

I got my mx-20 right before n.y.'s eve, tried for a couple of days and i've been sgrumbling all the morning looking for a warkaround to the 16:9 aspect ratio issue.

now:

1) the 16:9 issue is due to the wrong flagging of the video format (or non standard format); it's pointless to correct it on mediashow, as it solves the problem locally; you have to solve it on the camera with a firmware update (better, assuming mx20 can perform fw upgrade on user side, so all the future videos would be ok) or you can simply alter the .mp4 file losslessly (no deterioration) to make it compliant with h.264 standart

2) luckily enough, you can download YAMB for free and perform your fix on each file (VERY EASY: open the video, select the video stream, go to properties and set aspect ratio to 16:9 PAL [in my country at least]).

3) i'm now looking for a BATCH convert that does exactly that but with full automation, as setting aspect on each video is really boring...

hope this helps you all!

bye
Alejandro [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 04, 2009 14:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have the SC-MX20 and am having a problm with the frame jumping. I was recording my 8 month old niece the other day in her jumper and everytime she started jumping the frame would move up and down as if it was trying to keep her centered. Any ideas what would cause it to do this? I have the face recognition turned, anti-shake is off as well, and i had it mounted on a tri-pod.
Roberto [Avatar]
[Post New]
absolutely no idea, alejandro!!

as far as i know there's no feature in mx-20 that allows figure-tracking...

also face-recognition simply adjust the focus, non the tracking (as some webcam do, instead).

it looks very strange, once you stop touching the camera the view is fixed...

ehr... you're sure the kid is not making the camera bump all around? i know it's a stupid question...

you could stage a test case and see what happens...
Alejandro [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 04, 2009 14:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yea it's weird, that's what i thought at first, but no she doesn't even have enough force to make a glass or water ripple. I took it off the tripod and just held it and it still did the same thing, i don't know what the heck is up with it.
HerronScott [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 10, 2009 13:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: [SOLUTION FOR ASPECT RATIO]

Hi everyone!

I got my mx-20 right before n.y.'s eve, tried for a couple of days and i've been sgrumbling all the morning looking for a warkaround to the 16:9 aspect ratio issue.

now:

1) the 16:9 issue is due to the wrong flagging of the video format (or non standard format); it's pointless to correct it on mediashow, as it solves the problem locally; you have to solve it on the camera with a firmware update (better, assuming mx20 can perform fw upgrade on user side, so all the future videos would be ok) or you can simply alter the .mp4 file losslessly (no deterioration) to make it compliant with h.264 standart

2) luckily enough, you can download YAMB for free and perform your fix on each file (VERY EASY: open the video, select the video stream, go to properties and set aspect ratio to 16:9 PAL [in my country at least]).

3) i'm now looking for a BATCH convert that does exactly that but with full automation, as setting aspect on each video is really boring...

hope this helps you all!

bye

Roberto,

This is great! I've downloaded YAMB but haven't tested it yet but this should make my son very happy! We were having to publish each video as an MPEG and then importing that much larger file into Ulead VideoStudio which was a real pain. If you find a way to batch automate this please post it here!

Scott

Scott
Roberto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi scott,

i've had little time in the past days, so i could not search for any better sw or way to go batch.

The solution i wrote turned out to work great with players, yet it proves troublesome both with facebook's and utube's video uploader... no matter which aspect ratio i set, i always get 4:3 stretched (well, narrowed actually) resolution... so my car looks like donald duck's "313" and so on...

anybody knows a way to successfully upload a 16:9 video shot on mx-20 to youtube or facebook (and resulting in 16:9)??

thx!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2009 14:22

Chad [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 24, 2009 19:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am having the same problem as Christine with my vga and sound card drivers. My problem is that I go to my conputer manufac. website and I still don't have the correct drivers. Is there someplace to get them? And is it possible that my computer is not capable of having these drivers. I fear that this software will never work on my computer.

I am on XP and get the same message. So after some back and forth with the Cyberlink tech support online support ticket thing, I decide to buy a new video card with TWICE the recommended PCI (128MB vs. the recommended 64MB).

Now I have a new card and the latest drivers. I STILL get the same message. And the support ticket people are still trying to blame my hardware...

But heck, if the software company isn't monitoring this, why are we bothering to ask?

Let's use the forum to ask another question - anyone know of a good video editing software (Nothing from Cyberlink PLEASE!) that could be bought to run on with our Samsung cameras and edit MP4 files?
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 24, 2009 10:22 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Well it's Jan 25th 2009 and there still doesn't seem to be a resolution to the "Sound but no video" issue with Mediashow. I wasted an entire day of my life yesterday searching the internet for an answer! I've updated, downloaded, called support and patched my computer to death! I'm with DonR on this one! Why would Samsung package editing software that doesn't work with their camera? I don't want to have to convert my Mp4 videos to AVI files so I can use Movie Maker! If I have to go out and buy editing software now that defeats the purpose of buying this mx20 in the first place....which i bought at Circuit City which is now going out of business and won't let me return it! So if anyone can find a decent free editor out there that works with mpeg-4 files please let me know....otherwise it looks like this camera will be headed for Ebay and I'll start my search all over again!
Reply to this topic