Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SMALL PROBLEM WITH RENDERED 4K VIDEO
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
Member Location: kilmarnock Joined: May 19, 2014 04:38 Messages: 78 Offline
[Post New]
I am having a small problem when rendering full HD video up to 4K resolution

No matter what format I use the same happens, If i render at 25p or 50i level the video produces fine and the file has thumbnail picture, but if i render at 50p level the video produces fine, but there is no thumbnail picture and the metadata like resolution is missing.

Anyone have any ideas ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hello jamesd1981

Where are you looking when you say the thumbnail and metadata are missing? In the PD library or timeline? In Windows Explorer, or in your media player? We need more information to understand what you're asking.

A couple of screenshots would be very helpful, especially to compare what you see with the interlaced videos with the progressive "problem."

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi James from Kilmarnock -

Optodata is pointing you in the right direction. I've observed a similar (lack of thumbnail) thing here with 2K (progressive) produced files, but 4K produced files display their thumbnail correctly.

Everything's fine in PD's media library. It's in Windows Explorer that the thumbnail goes AWOL. There's nothing wrong with how the files play, using a variety of media players.

What's your default player for the videos you're producing? That will make a difference to how they're displayed in Windows Explorer.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - 4K-2K ML-WE.png]
 Filename
4K-2K ML-WE.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
450 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2014 16:21

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks optodata & ynotfish, yes the thumbnail is fine in pd library, it is in windows explorer there is no thumbnail.

Weather it is 2k or 4k the thumbnail is fine at 25p or 50i

It is only when i render in 50p the thumbnail does not display.

I use vlc media player on win 7 64 bit

I have attached screenshot of explorer view
[Thumb - 4k explorer view.jpg]
 Filename
4k explorer view.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
87 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2014 16:31

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the screenshot, and thanks Tony for your helpful input I haven't shot any 2k or 4k video, and I don't use thumbnails in W.E. as I prefer to see the "details" text-based view.

I assume that you can see the clip details when inside PD (right-click, View Properties), and if that's the case it may be that PD isn't saving the details in a way that VLC can extract them. Do the clips play OK in VLC? Do you have the most recent version (2.1.3)?

Does it make a difference if you change the default program to Window Media Player? You can always change it back to VLC, but it would be helpful to determine if the missing thumbnail/meta data issue is caused by PD or VLC.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
James -

I switched my default player for MPEG-4 & M2TS to VLC Player and this is what I get. Note the 2 4K (50p) files in the middle.

Try switching your default player to see if it makes a difference.

Another factor in this may be the third party codecs you have installed (or not), as my Win 7 (64-bit) is displaying the files differently.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - 4K VLC.png]
 Filename
4K VLC.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
119 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
463 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 09. 2014 17:04

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the screenshot, and thanks Tony for your helpful input I haven't shot any 2k or 4k video, and I don't use thumbnails in W.E. as I prefer to see the "details" text-based view.

I assume that you can see the clip details when inside PD (right-click, View Properties), and if that's the case it may be that PD isn't saving the details in a way that VLC can extract them. Do the clips play OK in VLC? Do you have the most recent version (2.1.3)?

Does it make a difference if you change the default program to Window Media Player? You can always change it back to VLC, but it would be helpful to determine if the missing thumbnail/meta data issue is caused by PD or VLC.

Inside pd the thumbnails and details are fine, but once saved is when in explorer there is no thumbnail.

As far as the metadata goes you maybe right about explorer just not being able to display it, i just used a program called mediainfo and it showed the correct metadata.

The version of vlc i am using is 2.1.4 rincewind 64 bit
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: James -

I switched my default player for MPEG-4 & M2TS to VLC Player and this is what I get. Note the 2 4K (50p) files in the middle.

Try switching your default player to see if it makes a difference.

Another factor in this may be the third party codecs you have installed (or not), as my Win 7 (64-bit) is displaying the files differently.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony, i tried switching default players and had the same result, your screenshot looks like you have a similar problem with 2k video that I am having with 4k.
optodata
[Post New]
This might be something to forward to Cyberlink's technical support. They may have a solution right away, or they may need to fix PD to ensure that the thumbnails can be properly displayed.

As it stands right now, the problem seems to be with the way the metadata/thumbnails are created or managed when PD 12 produces a 50p (and likely 60p) video at 2k or 4k resolution. I think you've done an excellent job of documenting what you've found, and you should refer to this forum link when you contact tech support.

YouTube/optodata

jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: This might be something to forward to Cyberlink's technical support. They may have a solution right away, or they may need to fix PD to ensure that the thumbnails can be properly displayed.

As it stands right now, the problem seems to be with the way the metadata/thumbnails are created or managed when PD 12 produces a 50p (and likely 60p) video at 2k or 4k resolution. I think you've done an excellent job of documenting what you've found, and you should refer to this forum link when you contact tech support.

Yes optodata, I have downloaded the beta patch 2923, I will try some more renders on various settings and if problem still persists I will report it to cyberlink tech support.

Thanks for all the help
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem early in the year, in fact it was posted here too. trying different codecs solved it.

installing

K-Lite Codec Pack\Media Player Classic

did the trick.

It appears to be a Window problem.

In fact, on my computer, the MPC is far better than the VLC player. Plays everything w/o stutter etc. and I like the price.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 09. 2014 17:38

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I had the same problem early in the year.
installing

did the trick.

It appears to be a Window problem.

In fact, on my computer, the MPC is far better than the VLC player. Plays everything w/o stutter etc. and I like the price.

Eugene

Hi Eugene, I also tried mpc and had same problem, the videos play fine, but display no thumbnail, try some more renders tomorrow now that i have installed the beta patch.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
James I had used MPC for years but it was the missing codec that caused the problem.

The codec pack should do it. It will also improve 4K play back.

Just downloading the MPC player is not enough. It needs the additional codecs.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 09. 2014 17:48

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: James I had used MPC for years but it was the missing codec that caused the problem.

The codec pack should do it. It will also improve 4K play back.

Just downloading the MPC player is not enough. It needs the additional codecs.

Eugene

HAHA well done Eugene, i was just installing mpc exe, installed via the mega codec pack and now get full thumbnails.
[Thumb - fixed.png]
 Filename
fixed.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
127 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
98 time(s)