Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
RouteGenerator and PowerDirector fps
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2014 17:29 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Hello guys,

Im new to editing and there are lots of things (most) that I dont understand yet.

I was looking for a programme to make routes of my travells and member CubbyHouseFilms posted me the link to RouteGenerator, this is just what im after and it seems easy to use.

However.....when I drag a clip from RouteGenerator into the timeline I get this warning....CONFLICT OF FRAME RATE, frame rate of the clip 30fps does not match the frame rate in PowerDirector general preferences which it claims is 29.97fps.

I have went back into PowerDirector settings and made sure the selected frame rate is 30fps but upon trying again I get the same warning.......is this an issue?

Also when selecting resolution in RouteGenerator I presume I pick the same resolution as to what my video will be once everything is imported edited and produced?????

Apologies for the lack of knowledge

Chris...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2014 15:00

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chris -

Firstly, you can turn the frame rate warning off in Preferences (I have), It's the first checkbox under Confirmation. Secondly, sometimes PD can throw up a "false" warning. I wouldn't be too bothered by that. Just import and add it to your project.

Route Generator will create an AVI file at the same resolution as your imported image/map. Yes - if it's being displayed at full screen, it's best to start with a map at the same resolution & aspect ratio as your final video.

You can import the AVI file from Route Generator. No problem. Another possibility is to:
1. Import all the .bmp files that RG makes (each frame of the video)
2. Drop them in the timeline in order - map00000.bmp, map00001.bmp, map00002.bmp etc
3. Select all and change the duration to 00:00:00:01 (1 frame) - or 2 frames for a slower trip
4. Produce the animation sequence in the same video format as your intended target format.

Another thing worth considering is not using the included vehicles, but importing your own. The images in RG are very low-res, low quality and look shoddy on screen. Example attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Plane1.png]
 Filename
Plane1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ynotfish

Thanks for the help.

I have got a picture a motorcycle i would like to use in RouteGenerator....how do I go about using the motorcycle but with no backround in the image?

Chris...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 23. 2014 18:02

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chris -

That could be a very simple process - or more complex.

Simple if it's a clip art style image - just apply transparency to the background using graphics software. This screenshot is in Paint.NET (free)

Slightly more complex if it's a photo, but these tutorials will help:
http://youtu.be/6OLKfRILqBM
http://youtu.be/prM840dAbXM

To illustrate what I meant about the poor quality images in RG, there's a blown up screenshot attached. Artefacts all over the place!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Bike_trans.png]
 Filename
Bike_trans.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
162 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
661 time(s)
[Thumb - RG Plane 50x33.png]
 Filename
RG Plane 50x33.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2014 18:10

chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Those tutorials really helped, I have managed to get a picture of my own motorcycle into RouteGenerator..

thank you
Chris.....
ynotfish
[Post New]
Excellent Chris!

Glad the tutorials helped.

For others using Route Generator (or similar), I've thrown some images into a folder you can use to substitute (import) to give a nice crisp look. Not trying to insult your intelligence - just save some leg work.

Look forward to the video of your trip Chris.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
RouteGen GFX.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
931 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
337 time(s)

chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Am I doing something wrong here??

When I create the avi file from RouteGenerator, a 4 second clip is 747mb, isnt this a bit large?

I can put it in the PowerDirector timeline and everything seems ok, but if I were to include the clip in amongst a production would the format I render to dictate the size the the RouteGenerator file in the final production.

not sure if Im making sense here!!

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Chris -

The size of the AVI file very much depends on the preferences you've set in Route Generator.

If you've left the codec as the default, it will be "Uncompressed". A 10 second AVI will have a VBR of ~600+MBps with a resultant file size of ~675MB.

If you use (say) a 1280x720 map, each of the .bmp files will be about 2.5MB

Selecting, for example, the TechSmith Screen Capture codec will yield a much lower BR & file size - 7MBps / 7MB

It's nothing to be concerned about and nothing you've done wrong.

Cheers - Tony

[Thumb - RG_Prefs.png]
 Filename
RG_Prefs.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
609 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2014 16:26

chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nice one Tony

Isnt this a brilliant forum.....saved me hours of frustration!!!!
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Another option have tried, appears to give some different results to what is possible with RG (picture overlays at various points of the route being one)

http://www.primap.com/wsen/Products/mapcreator.html

I have tried the free version using map overlays from Google Maps; would appreciate any tips anyone has about setting the image size to suit 16 : 9 projects; when using screen grabs from Google Maps the image sizes can be odd shapes (to incorporate the required area), re-sizing them (in paint.net) can result in them getting squashed. Be nice to be able to import them into PD in the correct shape.

If anyone has any experience in calculating image sizes (programme allows setting of pixels) would be helpful

The site includes easy to follow tutorials for the general technique,

Thanks
Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Ed71 -

I haven't tried MapCreator, but you can always overlay images when you're editing in PD.

About aspect ratio, the easiest thing to do in Paint.NET (or whichever software you use) is to crop the map to 16:9 to match your project. If you resize, make sure you have "Keep Aspect Ratio" checked.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PDN_Fixed Ratio Crop.png]
 Filename
PDN_Fixed Ratio Crop.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
189 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
524 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2014 22:06

Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Great, thanks Tony,never realised paint.net had that facility, makes it a lot easier Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)