Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Inserting a chapter always rewinds to 00:00?
[Post New]
When I want to add a chapter marker to a clip, I click on the Chapter Room button in the left sidebar or on F11, in which case I am always taken to the beginning of the project (minute 00:00), rather than staying at the point on the timeline where I want to insert the chapter. This means I then have to zoom out, click on the timeline where I left off (which is not always easy to spot, because it's a long video project, zoom in, set my precise chapter location once again, and THEN I'm able to insert the new chapter.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, as this is completely non-intuitive and seems like a ridiculous number of steps just to insert a chapter. I thought I might be able to create a hotkey to insert chapters, but there is no option for "Insert Chapter" in the available actions list for hotkeys.

Any ideas on how to make this simpler/faster?

Thanks.

.........Curtis.........
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Somewhat a feature, the way it's been. One learns to adjust workflow around many of these types of anomalies.

If you open the "Chapter Room" first and then scrub around the timeline it won't occur and things work a little better. It's also best to add all your chapters after all editing is done. Usually a little more stable editing/producing experience if done that way.

PD help even recommends that,
Note: for best results, adding chapters should be the last editing step before burning your video production to disc.

Jeff
[Post New]
That's solid advice, Jeff.

I'm editing a long video interview, adding chapters when the theme changes as "rest stops" and to allow viewers to jump to a particular topic. I insert a short break of a few seconds at each chapter, with an image, a title, and (if I'm ambitious enough) a music swell. So for what I'm doing, it seemed to flow better inserting the chapters as I progressed through the interview.

However, after posting my forum question, I realized that it might be faster to at least create all the chapter titles in one go (while in the Chapter Room) and then go back to insert the breaks and other media. So, as you say, it's just a matter of revising my process a bit.

Thanks for the quick response.

........Curtis........
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
One problem occurs is "Chapters" are at a fixed timecode on the timeline and not tied to a scene. So if one decides to add, remove, add a transition, anything that changes the timeline between already defined Chapters 1 and Chapter 2, I need to fix every Chapter downstream as they will no longer be in the correct location for a scene on the timeline. That can be rework which just adds steps which you are trying to avoid. The Chapters defined simply stay at the same timecode. I typically set everything up on the timeline, I just don't define the actual chapters until the end.

Jeff
Petoskey resident [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Petoskey, Michigan Joined: Feb 09, 2014 22:46 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Re issue of chapters and subtitles being linked to original time on timeline. I too have needed to insert a clip in an existing project timeline which already includes chapters and subtitles. I called phone support and they said to select all the chapters and subtitles and then use Group Objects to move them. That sounded like a solution but I can't select just the chapters and subtitles to then use group objects to adjust the timeline so it syncs with the added time of the inserted clip.
Please advise if you know how to do that.
As to inserting chapters and subtitles after completion of the project. Both the chapters (30) and subtitles (60) are difficult to ID when going back through the project.

Thanks to all of you who take the time to pass on your knowledge and experience.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Subtitles are different, there you can RMB in the subtitle room and select all, use the Ctrl and LMB to unselect those subtitles prior to your edit that you don't want to move, you can then move all the remaining by dragging in the subtitle track of the timeline.

Chapters, the only option I know is you simply have to redo chapter location and thumbnail location if you modified.

Jeff