CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerProducer 5 - "This video file type is not supported"... ARGH!!
Reply to this topic
jessm78 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: NY Joined: Apr 18, 2014 20:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Last year I bought a new LG DVD burner drive, and bundled with it was "LG Power Tools" software, which included PowerProducer 5. I had some video files that I was trying to import onto a new DVD. They are MPEG-4 files and whenever I tried to add them, I kept getting the "This video file type is not supported" error message. Okay, fine. I have a program that will convert them into a more (hopefully) agreeable format. I converted them to AVI files, thinking maybe that would work. Nope! Trying to import them to the disc gave me the same error message.

I have no idea what is wrong. I've searched online and found people with similar problems, saying something was up with a codec or something. They mentioned downloading ffdshow and it should resolve the problems. Well I have that program already and it still doesn't work. When I'd try to add the AVI files, it looked like the Haali Media Splitter icon popped up for a split second in my system tray before that "file type not supported" error message appeared. I don't know if that has to do with anything (I'd downloaded Haali Media Splitter a few years ago with one of the other video converter programs I have... AVStoDVD I think).

If anyone has any idea how I could resolve this I'd be grateful. It's driving me nuts.
sumerJ [Avatar]
Contributor Private Message Joined: Nov 28, 2013 05:37 Messages: 377 Offline
[Post New]
What's your OS? Does your platform support hardware decode for mp4 files?
jessm78 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: NY Joined: Apr 18, 2014 20:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
The computer I've been using for DVD authoring has Windows XP (I'm getting a second system - newer with Windows 7 - shortly, not sure if this will make a difference). As for supporting decode of mp4 files, I would assume so...how would I be able to tell for sure? It's also strange how the converted AVI files were coming up as "not supported" as well.
sumerJ [Avatar]
Contributor Private Message Joined: Nov 28, 2013 05:37 Messages: 377 Offline
[Post New]
I think better to try it on new Win7 platform.
Windows XP is definitely too old for supporting hardware decode for your mp4 files. and your LG DVD burner drive may also not paid for the decoder royalty fee.

As for avi file, not sure what's the codec that you selected. it's more complicate than just using mp4 format. it's not suggested to convert to avi file for walk around.
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I am guessing because PowerProducer came bundled with your DVD drive, that you have an OEM version, i.e. not a full version. This means that LG probably decided not to include all the codecs and maybe some other features. Based on the info you provided, the MPEG-4 (H.264 codec?) and AVI (DivX codecs) were not included in your version.

You'd have to upgrade to the full version if you want these codecs. If not, try converting the original file to MPEG-2. That is the standard format for DVDs, so it should be included.

Regards,
David
jessm78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks sumer and CLD for the responses. You are right, Power Producer came bundled with the DVD drive. I'm guessing that it is an OEM version. I didn't even think of this, but thank you CLD for bringing up the codecs... I guess that is very possible. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to convert the files to MPEG-2 and see if I have any success with that.
Reply to this topic