Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video and Audio get out of sync editing a project that started with multi-cam designer
Pattijul [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Charlotte NC Joined: Oct 17, 2013 09:22 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I've used the multi-cam designer with most of my projects, but have not had this issue till now. I've been trying to edit the 1st 5 minutes of my 100 minute video all week. (I use multi-cam on the full length of my video, then I break it down into smaller projects and edit one scene at a time. I'm still working on the 1st scene which is just under 5 minutes.) I should have been done with the project by now.
What happens is, as soon as I make even the slightest edit (i.e. change the H and V scale), the audio and video get out of sync. This makes it impossible for me to continue editing the clip because I'm editing to the music. What I have to do is save the project, get out of Power Director, restart my computer, then re-open the project in PD12 to see how it worked. Or, I can render the project and see how it rendered.
But I could have 50 more edits to make on this 5 minute clip. It will take a month to finish my entire project at this rate.
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue when editing a project that initiated with the multi-cam designer? Any tips?
(Note: I've opened a ticket with Cyberlink, but it won't be escalated for 24 to 48 hours.)
Thanks!
Pattijul [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am still trying to get this problem ticket escalated with Cyberlink. They've asked me for a sample of video, but when I take a 1 minute snippet of my 3 camera angles, and run that small sample thru Multi-Cam designer, the small sample doesn't have the issue.
The issue occurs on my 100 minute project whose timeline was created using Multi-Cam designer, using 3 video files that are all 100+ minutes long. I've spent hours recreating my multi-cam project from the original source files, and I always have the same problem - video and audio go out of sync when I make the smallest edit. However, I cannot reproduce the problem when I use small segments of my source files as input to MC.
Any suggestions? Anyone?
Thank you!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Pattijul,
have you ever submitted a dxdiag (diagnosis file) for us to look at? Are your files HD? What format (extension)?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page This link is to the instructions.
Please provide Part B.
With multiple video files over 100 minutes each, I suspect your computer may not have enough horsepower to run all those.
My experience with multi-cam has been excellent.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 06. 2014 09:54

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Pattijul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Barry for getting back to me.
Dxdiag is attached. My computer is pretty new and has some good horsepower.
My files are HD .mts/.m2ts. (I use 3 cameras and always start editing with multi-cam designer.)
The 100 minute project I'm stuck on is one that I recorded last weekend.
Prior to that, I've used PD12 to edit a dozen large projects (90 minutes to 3 hours) and used multi-cam on all of them successfully. I'm using it on another project that I recorded last night without any problem.
It's just the 100 minute project from last weekend that's having the problem.
As a work around, I have manually sync'd my 3 cameras and I am looking at one camera's video at a time, but it is so slow going. I love multi-cam designer, and just don't get why it's not working for this one project.
Thanks again for getting back to me.
Patti
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
24 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
300 time(s)
Rlumpy [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tucson, AZ Joined: Mar 29, 2014 19:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am having a similar problem with multi-cam. I use two cameras and an H4N audio source. I sync them all up in multi-cam and record, switching between cameras to get different views. It all works OK. Then I exit to editor and things are fine, all video clips are on one timeline, and the audio on its own. Sync is good. Then I try to apply fades to the transitions between clips. Each faded transition takes a little bite out of the video timeline, and the subsequent video gets a little ahead of the sound.

Is this a basic fault of the system? (a "feature") Am I expecting too much?

Pattijul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Rlumpy,
I have used multi-cam on more than a dozen large projects. I have always been able to edit after multi-cam with no issues. This is the first time (and only time) I have had the issue with the video and audio getting out of sync upon editing a project that started with multi-cam.
I am still waiting for this issue to get escalated, so I don't know the root cause yet. But even while waiting for an answer on this issue, I have completed one more project (also started with multi-cam, followed by editing), and started another one ... all without issues.
Craig [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2014 10:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Same issue for me, but I found a solution!
I had two video tracks (one HD and one not) plus mp3 audio track all perfectly synchronized (thanks to audio sync) in multi-cam designer. Brought it back into timeline it was fine, but added one transition at the beginning and it pulled the video track a second earlier than the audio, whether or not I grouped the audio & video before adding the transition.
The solution: In main preference settings, Editing: Timeline: "Set default transition behavior" change it from "overlap" to "cross." This means that there is a bug in PD's handling of applying transitions as overlap.
Craig [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2014 10:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
"This means that there is a bug in PD's handling of applying transitions as overlap." Oops, it's NOT a bug --

I see now that I simply did not understand what "overlap" meant in a transition. By right-clicking on an existing transition, PD shows clearly that applying it as an overlap will always screw up the sync, even if I have ungrouped and then linked the video and audio tracks. Thus, although it's not a bug, I can't figure why anyone would ever use the overlap method - or why it is the default setting after installing PD.
Rlumpy [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tucson, AZ Joined: Mar 29, 2014 19:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: "This means that there is a bug in PD's handling of applying transitions as overlap." Oops, it's NOT a bug --

I see now that I simply did not understand what "overlap" meant in a transition. By right-clicking on an existing transition, PD shows clearly that applying it as an overlap will always screw up the sync, even if I have ungrouped and then linked the video and audio tracks. Thus, although it's not a bug, I can't figure why anyone would ever use the overlap method - or why it is the default setting after installing PD.

Thanks, Craig. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I will give this a try.

Rich