Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio slips versus its video
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
For the last several versions of PD I've been irritated with this problem. It mostly results from increasing or decreasing the duration of still photos or video clips. PD does not handle this well as it causes most audio clips downstream to move, re-link with wrong videos, overlap, or even disappear. Worse yet, PD often does not show this change on the current timeline. So if one hears the audio not starting as its video does, a corrective action causes even more problems, and sometimes a PD crash. Recent updates may have reduced the problem, but it is still there. One way is to leave PD and come back to the project again. This displays all the moved audio clips correctly, and I have to correct all, say 100, clips individually. Ugh. And this happens often during a two-week effort to finish the intricate DVD show that I am creating.

Today I've determined that if I select all photos, clips, audio, subtitles, etc. and group them, I can move that selection downstream to make enough room for increasing the duration of the prior photo (or clip). There is no audio slippage during this process and the vexing problem is avoided.

But for my 1/2 hour or even 1-hour DVDs, selecting all of the following, say, 40 minutes of show is tedious and even difficult. Using "Select All" would work if I could deselect the prior, say, 10 minutes. But it deselects all as I try to do that, and I have to start over again.

Isn't there some other way to accomplish this work-around? (other than fixing the software bug the causes my anguish)

Bill Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I do not understand why you are experiencing that problem.

I have put the sample files (image and video) on Track 1, then add MP3 audio to one in the music track and one on Track 2.
Audio file on Track 2 followed the one on Music Track.

I then increased the duration of one of the images on track 1. Track 1 does increase length.

The audio files on Music track and Track 2 did not move.

I repeated adding duration to another image on Track 1, Track 1 increased length, Audio files did not move.

I did not have any track locked.

Maybe it is your editing technique, you are doing something incorrect.
Maybe a Capture of your edit. There is free screen capture software.

Please keep the screen capture short.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Using "Select All" would work if I could deselect the prior, say, 10 minutes. But it deselects all as I try to do that, and I have to start over again.

Place the scrubber on the first clip to be retained, then <ctl-A> to select all.
Hold down <shift> and click that same clip. All clips to the left should be DEselected, leaving those to the right selected.
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
Carl, perhaps if you copy your test project and place a hundred of those copies in your timeline to make it 100 times longer, you'll experience the problem. I just don't know exactly how to reproduce this problem, but it is real and continually comes up. One way is to decrease the speed of the video, say 50%, and see what happens downstream. I demonstrated this to Cyberlink's R&D and I took a long project and inserted a different short project into the beginning of the current long one. That reproduced it for them immediately. You may not see the results until you leave the edited project and PD, and return to it. That's when the audio shifts, scrambles, overlaps, etc. Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
Borgus, either your instructions are not specific enough, or it does not work. When I get to "SHIFT and click the same clip," only that one clip stays selected, that is stays blue while the others turn grey. I would LOVE it, if it worked as you described. Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
All right. Try this...
Position the scubber at the leftmost clip to remain selected, then click on that clip and click <ctrl-A> to select all.

Hold down <shift> and click the RIGHT-most clip that you want to remain selected.

This should DEselect all clips that are not within that range. Put another way, the clips between the scrubber and the right-most clip that is clicked remain selected. At least that's the way it works for me in PD11.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The Windows selection method is:
Ctrl+A = Select All
Hold Shift then Click on first item then click on last item = Select items between first and last.
Hold Ctrl then click on each item = Selects each item you click on.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am aware of both methods and have used them often. But I typically have 30-60 minutes of a show with multiple tracks, subtitles, music, narration. How do I select all from say 5 minutes into the show to the end? When I select, say, a photo as the first, I have to move the far end into view. Then I can't select ALL of the items in ALL the tracks. I've tried to use the selection box and it will not allow me to click-and-hold and move it to the right and to the end, only what is currently in view. The view does not follow. Also, the photos are way too small for me to distinguish one from another, so the box selects the wrong one which causes me to start over again. This all is in an attempt to move all those clips and photos, etc. several seconds to the right so I can increase the duration of the preceding photo. And ALL of this effort is to avoid getting the audio slips, overlaps, wrong links, etc. bug that I know is there and they can't seem to fix.

Imagine when I recently used the Music Beat Detection and I had like 100 stills and videos to adjust each duration to match the beats. The following audios had to be corrected each time. This bug is intolerable. Otherwise I could have confidently adjusted each duration to finish that job. But, no, it was hours of changes, re-fixing, replacing, etc. Awful. Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I select a clip (say at your five-minute mark), then grab the scroll bar at the very bottom of the window to bring the final clip into view. I hold <shift> and click the last clip. All clips within that range are selected.

If I want to eliminate clips, I hold <shift> and click on a clip. All clips to the right of the clicked clip are deselected.

When dealing with linked/unlinked audio complexities, this may not achieve what you want. That's about the best I can offer here.