CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
powerdirector menu problem
David [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jun 11, 2013 07:45 Messages: 0 Offline
[Post New]
Can anyone help...
I am trying to add and delete buttons on my menu pages but cannot work it out.

I want 2 on my root page and then on my title and chapters pages I want 2 buttons then 7 buttons then 6 buttons.

Whatever I create on the first page, say 2,buttons, it creates the same on the others.

I cannot get anymore than one title shown in the menu as on page 189 of the user guide. this might be a clue to my problem

Do I have to add a subtitle page, I have tried this by checking the box where is sys create subtitles for disks

Thank you
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
"I want 2 on my root page and then on my title and chapters pages I want 2 buttons then 7 buttons then 6 buttons."

Hello David. Sorry, but I don't think you can do this on any Power Director versions(though I may be wrong - others may have successfully done so, but I doubt it). When you create a new menu page, the main, or root page will have the menu option of "Play All" or "Chapters" These can be changed to, for example... "Let 'Er Rip!" and "The Bits", simply by highlighting them and changing the words(typing in your own choice of word). On setting the chapter page, I'm afraid, you're stuck with what's on offer as far as numbers of buttons go. If you have, say, six chapters on your disc(these can be the same long clip broken into 6 chapters, or six different items with a chapter point to mark the start of each) If you select the 3-button layout, the menu will create 2 "pages" with three items on each page. If you have an odd number of items, say 7, for instance, selecting the 4-button layout will give you four items on the first page and three on the second with a blank item space for what should've been an eighth item. But this blank space will disappear when you save the completed menu template and burn the disc. It would be advisable to have a number of items that can be easily divided by 4, 3 or 2(12 items or chapters = 3 pages of 4 buttons, 4 pages of 3 buttons, 6 pages of 2 buttons). But alas it would be impossible to design a menu with different numbers of buttons on each page. What you CAN do, however, is have a different background image on your chapter page than that on your root page. When you insert an image on the root page, the designer module will ask if you want the image to apply to all pages, simply click "No". When you go to the chapter page, insert your other image, you'll likely be asked the same question, again click "No". The new image should appear on subsequent chapter pages but not on the root page.
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Neil for the reply, Yes I have worked it out and did get the same results as you have mentioned but it took numerous hours and hours to work it out. The more you play with this program the better you get. Once again thank you for your suggestions David
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David! Glad to be of help. Keep experimenting with your Power Director programme(btw, you didn't say which one you're using. I use PD7 myself as it does all I want it to do, particularly the burn-to-disc process. I also have Corel Video Studio Pro X5 on my computer and use it for some of its tricks as well, but I always come back to PD7 for that last all-important task, putting it all on DVD!
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Neil, I am using Power Director 11 and am very happy with it but have to self teach even after viewing the online manual.

I think I am fairly good with it at the moment but I am sure there are effects that I haven't even discovered.
I am from Adelaide Australia, where are you from?

It would be good to help each other out if we each have any problems and cannot sort it out.
Keep in touch David
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, David! Like many computer programmes, you tend to teach yourself how to use them, and you tend to get more out of them that way! Where am I? I'm in New South Wales, particularly Salamander Bay in the Port Stephens Shire, just 40 minutes north of Newcastle(unless you travel by bus, then it's roughly a hour and a half). I use PD7 myself. I also have Corel Video Studio Pro X5, mainly only for edit and produce, for Disc authoring, it's ALWAYS Power Director 7!, The Corel programme, to its credit, has some good transition effects and I also use its reversing effect(making the clip run backwards). I'm sure PD11 has this feature but it's not available on PD7. This feature is included in PD8 onwards. I recently got PD8 in a package with a video capture card. I installed it and tried it, to my disappointment it was only a "bare-bones" version, not the full build. The patch for that had to be downloaded and, after several failed attempts, I reverted to my tried-and-true PD7!