CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burning length to dvd-r
niwood [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Feb 18, 2014 12:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I created a video that is less than 120 minutes long but will not burn to the dvd-r. What can I do because I do not want to reduce the quality of the dvd/movie.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 830 Offline
[Post New]
Nikki:

Welcome to the DZ Forum. The highest quality video DVD you can burn is DHV-HQ, which only holds a little over one hour of video. You will have to reduce to a DVD Standard quality to get two hours on your DVD; or, split your project into two DVDs at HQ quality.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Nikki! I think you need to adjust the settings in the "Create Disc" section of your programme. Assuming all editing is done(includes setting chapter markings etc.), you then click on "create Disc". I the bottom-left corner of your screen there'll be a bar with a disc symbol beside it. This will show how much capacity your disc will have(4.7 Gb) and a blue bar of whichever length will show how much of that capacity will be taken up by your finished clip. Beside this is a button that looks a bit like a British transport logo but clicking on it will swap between the size on disc in gigabytes, and minutes/seconds in running time. You'll need the size of file in gigabytes for the purpose of what I'm trying to explain here. Okay, the next button has a spanner and three horizontal bars. Click here and you'll see in the window display where it asks for Video Quality. It's very likely that you'll find it set to DVD HQ. This is why your videos are not fitting your disc. You'll need to reset this to DVD SP. Don't worry about the audio setting. It will look after itself. Once you've reset the video quality to DVD SP, you'll be able to fit up to almost 2-and-a-quarter hours of content onto your disc, even with a first-play intro piece. Hope this has been of help.
niwood [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried changing to DVD SP but did not see it, I have PD 9, so I found Smart Fit.
Now when I play it, it is skipping, or doesn't even move off the first title slide.
niwood [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why is it when I burn the video MPEG4, then go to look at "Select the video encoding format & quality" it says MPEG2??? Is that why it is poorer quality?
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 830 Offline
[Post New]
Nikki:

As I understand it, and I am NO expert, .mpeg2 is the default setting for video DVDs that are playable in DVD players. .mpeg4 would have to burned to a data DVD that would probably not be able to be read by most DVD players. You would have to check the specs for your DVD player. An .mpeg4 file, burned to a DVD, would be readable on most computer DVD drives.

Hope this helps and that I am not misleading you. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Nikki. First I should tell you that the advice I give is based on my use of Power Director 7. Not that this should matter all that much, whichever version of Power Director you may be using. The setting of DVD SP is in the Create Disc mode. When clicking on "Create Disc" you'll see a library of menu styles to choose from, and the provision to create your own(if you're feeling adventurous). At the bottom-left of the screen you'll see the disc and bar extending off it and the two other buttons beside it as I've already described. I would expect them to be the same design, even I PD9, one being a stylised arrow pointing in two directions(like a British transport logo) and the other, a spanner and three horizontal bars. It is this button on which you click to call up the settings for burning your disc. Under Video Quality you'll see a small downward-pointing triangle just at right of what is already set(likely DVD HQ). When you click on this little triangle, a drop-down menu will appear, the options should be DVD LP(not recommended as pixilation occurs), DVD SP(the one I suggested to you, which gives up to 2 hours and 14 minutes of capacity on a standard 4.7Gb disc), DVD HQ(which is the default setting when the programme is first installed), and Smart Fit(which seems to be causing you some problems of late). When you select DVD SP, this will become your default setting for all your future disc authoring(burning, in other words).
As for MPEG4(generally shown as MP4), yes, the disc will burn these type of files to disc as MPEG2, but there is no real perceived loss of image quality. When you play a successfully-burned disc back on your domestic DVD player through a flat-screen(LCD or Plasma) TV set, the picture will still look as grand and glorious as you wanted it to be.

P>S> What Phil Campbell said above is quite correct. As a general rule, domestic DVD players are designed only to play MPEG2 files, so, to save anything as MPEG4 to disc, you'd have to burn the file to a data DVD(effectively "storing" it). but this might be of interest to you, should anyone give you a data DVD of movies stored in AVI format, load it up and "let 'er rip!" The AVI files WILL play on your DVD player. A friend gave me one a year ago that had 5 movies on it which included "Young Einstein", "Paul" and "Pirates - Band Of Misfits". To my surprise and delight, the disc played without a hitch on my player which was built in to my Wide-screen TV.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2014 12:26