CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio doesn't play when video imported
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 24, 2013 00:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PD 8 and have imported a 20 year old home video that had been successfully transferred to a DVD. The video and audio play fine on windows moviemaker and in Windows media player. Only the video plays when I watch the video on PD8. I have the most updated version of PD8. There is no audio that appears in the audio track when I drag and drop the icon to the track bar section below. Any ideas?
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Chris. There might be an audio system conflict between Power Director 8(or any other PD editing suite) and Windows Movie Maker. You say you're using PD8 but did you use this programme to author(burn) the DVD of your 20-year-old home movie? If, as I'm guessing, you might've edited and burned the movie in Windows Movie Maker, then tried to import the contents to PD8 through the Disc Capture mode of PD8(that's where you select "Capture" then select the Disc icon[of which there are two, one of these has a musical note superimposed to indicate CD-Audio, the other, of course, being the DVD icon). It is very likely that you're experiencing the audio conflict I've suggested might be the problem. If you still have the master tape, try capturing it through PD8. You obviously have a capture card for such purpose. It might also afford you the opportunity to edit the movie in the way you might've wanted to in the first instance. When finished, produce the file(to save it to your hard-drive) or author it to DVD. I think you'll find the PD8-authored DVD will play through any DVD playback programme on your computer, or the rendered MPEG file will play through any other editing software, including Windows Movie Maker. Going from Power Director(7,8, 9 or onwards) to Windows Movie Maker presents no problems, it's going the other way where the audio problems seem to occur. This has been my experience. As a result I don't use Windows Movie Maker now at all. I also have Corel Video Studio Pro X5 which I'm also using but I ALWAYS author my DVDs with my Power Director 7.
[Post New]
I had a similar problem with .MOD files taken with a Kodak digital camera at Xmas 2010 - no audio track appeared in the PD9 time line though there was sound when played from the media room. All my other files from this camera work alright. The .MOD files that had no audio in PD9 did in PD11.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2013 21:44

HP p6315uk, AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2.81 GHz, Windows 7, 4Gb DDR3-SDRAM (1333 MHz), NVidia GeForce GT610
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Neil T. and Chris! Happy New Year to you both.
Firstly to Neil T., from one Neil to another, as it were. Did you load your files to your computer by either of these two methods?
A) Connect camera to computer via USB cable and transfer(copy) files to dedicated folder, or
B) Remove SD card from camera and insert same to card reader connected via USB to computer.
If "A", then there might've been some conflict between the 'clips' and the PD9 software, which had been sorted out by your upgrading to PD11. If "B" you shouldn't have too many difficulties, particularly now you're using a later version of Power Director, namely PD11. Some time back(in April, 2013, in fact) I took the plunge and upgraded to a new computer running Windows 7. I reloaded several of my most-used software onto it, including PD7, but I could not find the discs for either of my two Panasonic videocameras, both use SD cards(those discs will show themselves... eventually). But I found that by taking the cards out of the cameras and inserting them into a card reader, I could copy the contents I wanted by simple copy & paste procedure, onto my computer and edit them, vision and sound intact. Talk about doing things the sneaky way....
Now to Chris. Have you succeeded with re-recording your 20-year-old video via your version of Power Director(PD? As I suggested, this would be your chance to "re-cut" the video a little more to your liking. I've sometimes done that myself. I haven't used it for quite a while but I have a Hi-8 videocamera, basically Video-8 with a better quality tape in the cassette. I'll use it via capture card to copy in my old camera tapes or I might use the VHS-dubs which I made before I had access to a computer with DVD-burning capabilities. Video-8 and Hi-8 tapes copied to VHS or Betamax seem to transfer to MPEG far better than a VHS-to-VHS or Beta-to-Beta dub, or even one format to the other. The copied tape just goes blurry when you try to transfer the copy(one generation away from the original) onto your computer. Yet a video-8 or Hi-8-sourced VHS or Beta tape can copy to computer without any noticeable loss in quality. Strange, that! And if you have tried redoing that tape via PD8, you shouldn't have any problems with audio(unless you forget to connect the audio-out leads to your capture card - ha-ha!) A thought had just occurred to me... Did you have any version of Power Director on your computer when you first "captured" that old tape(assuming you'd done it some years ago) or was it a very recent project where you just installed PD8 and decided that old tape was to be one of, if not your very first project? That last question is to satisfy my curiosity. Cheers for now!
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 24, 2013 00:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Neil,

I could try to play the tape again on the camcorder and capture it on my laptop. The camera is from the early 90's though, so it doesn't have any SD cards. I believe it connects via RCA cables. How would I connect something like that through a laptop?

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Chris. To connect your camera to a laptop or desktop computer, you need a capture card. You very likely already have one as you've already converted this tape once. Your vintage video-camera hooks up to one end of the capture card the same way your VHS deck hooks up. Assuming it's a stereo camera(picks up stereo audio through a twin-microphone, just under the lens) you hook up red-to-red(Left Ch. Audio); white-to-white(Right Ch. Audio) and yellow-to-yellow(video), the capture card will have a fourth connector for S-Video but not many people bother with this option as the composite video signal is more than adequate. Acually, I'm rather curious. How did you copy the contents of that tape to your computer? I've got a vague idea how you might've done it and I covered that possibility in my last reply. Assuming again, that the camera is Video-8 or the up-market Hi-8 type, did you dub the contents to a VHS cassette first? Or if you were using a VHS-C camera, did you play the camera tape via an adaptor cartridge in your VHS recorder? I'd be interested to know the answer here. There is a third possibility DV-based camera. Digital camera that uses a cassette smaller again in physical size to that of the Video-8/Hi-8 cassettes. Which was it? I'd like to know so I might get a better idea of what to suggest for the future.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention. the capture card connects to any computer(desktop or laptop) via USB port.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2014 14:30