CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
best free video converters for pd9 ?
[Post New]
Sometimes i have to convert my videos to different formats, particularly flv's from youtube.

I have been using FormatFactory and also Freemake Video Converter.

Yesterday I converted an flv video file with FormatFactory and no matter how many times I did it the audio was ever so slightly out of sync with the video...and to me that is annoying.

Soo, i converted the video with my freemake video converter and the end result was fine.

But i wondered if there are any other free good video converters that anyone here would recommend ?

I've looked on CNET and there are over 400 freebies but knowing which one's are the bees knees is extremely difficult.

Soo, any video converter favourites here and what would you recommend to use with PowerDirector 9 ?

Many Thanks,

Stephanie. Just Love What You Do !
[Post New]
Summer, I used this one on a previous PC. It seemed to work just fine. http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Elwood Blues
[Post New]
Many thanks Elwood Blues.

I will try it out.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9876 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie -

This is one of the best ones I've used (apart from FormatFactory) http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

... & I learnt about it from people in the PD forum.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Hi Tony and many thanks.

I seem to remember trying to learn how to use Super last year and I found it rather complicated at the time but I will most certainly give it another go as it may have changed and may be easier to learn how to use.

Thanks,

[Post New]
I tried FormatFactory with a different conversion and whereas it converted my .flv to mp4 Out of Sync yesterday then this afternoon I managed to convert the same .flv video to mpeg with FF and the sync is as perfect as the original.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9876 Offline
[Post New]
Stephanie -

That's great! FF is good like that - you can set the parameters of the conversion.

What browser do you use? I use Firefox with an add-on called Download Helper... downloads all formats available on YT (i.e. you don't end up with an FLV file).

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Hi Tony, I also use Firefox 5 and also Download Helper but I download in flv format because I download soo much music and also films and serials for our weekends that I was worried it would take up too much space on my drive in any other format but I've still got absolutely heaps of space so it's not an issue anymore.. (the telly programs are awful here in NZ so youtube is a total blessing !)

With regards to downloading from youtube in another format then would that affect the download output compared to the original on the web in .flv form ?

Sorry, waffling on again ! LOL

ynotfish
[Post New]

You can choose the quality of your download
[Post New]
Okay...I always choose the 2nd one down..in bold red...

Don't know why and have no idea what that is ?..(blonde moment)

Soo, which download would you advise Tony for good quality ?

and off the topic record Tony...can PD9 be used to mix music ?

ie: lots of music videos (part) joined together with same/similar beat throughout ?

I'm really interested in that ..

Just Love What You Do !
ynotfish
[Post New]
720p (that's 1280x720) is the best available on that one. It depends on the upload.

Can PD be used to mix music? Yes...

Take a look at Cranston's mix here... http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/video/1905 (of course, you and I would be struggling to get something that slick!)

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Whoa !! That is one Helluva Slick, Neat and Very Cool Video !!

And MJ too !! My lifelong inspiration ! (bought his jackson 5 record in 69)

Well, that's totally answered my question about mixing music with PD !

Soo, many thanks Cranston for such a beautifully cool video with demonstration of 'how to' too..

And many thanks Tony for pointing this out.

I'm going back for another view !

Steph. Just Love What You Do !
[Post New]
Hi Tony and talking of mixing music and creating mixed music videos with PD9 i came across this download below last night "Virtual DJ"

I did some research and watched some 'how to' videos about it on youtube and downloaded it. I've only been playing with it for an hour but it can mix a couple of music/video tracks with a variety of 'DJ' effects and things and sync music at the touch of a button (much easier than my trakaxpc pro) and I'm kinda thinking it might be able to create a jooshed up sound track for a PD9 music project ?

It's Free and I can't see any hidden agendas. It takes a while to find everything but I'm wondering if this is a good tool for producing good PD9 music movies soundtracks or a gimmick.

Virtual DJ.

http://download.cnet.com/Virtual-DJ/3000-18502_4-10212112.html?tag=mncol;1

youtube tutorials :

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=virtual+dj+tutorial&aq=1&oq=virtual+dj

Anyway, I'll leave it there as I'll prolly get told off here for going off topic.

Enjoy your day.

ynotfish
[Post New]
Stephanie -

I'll look into that software & get back to you. I have no experience of it.

We have kinda switched the topic of the conversation, but there don't seem to be too many other people involved!!! So that's OK.

You can always use PMs if you're bothered about getting "told off".

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Thanks for the links Stephanie. I too want to check it out. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Alot of technical information in the pdf's supplied with Virtual DJ download and not very user friendly IMHO..

and..I can't seem to be able to record the output either audio or video to HD...(only the crucial operation !)

But then again, maybe I'm doing something wrong !

But I can make my lil PD9 work though ! LOL

Ah well, I'll play with it over the weekend and see what happens,

Bestest. Just Love What You Do !