CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Data Transfer speed
[Post New]
Does anyone know how to increase the "data transfer speed" in a computer? My Windows Experience Index is at 5.9, because of the lowest sub score on my PC; that being the "hard disc transfer speed"which is 5.9. The processor, RAM, and graphics scores are 7.8 and 7.7 with an experience index top score being 7.9 I have 3 hard drives set up as C:OS/Apps, D:media, E:project files. I realize this is not a PD question, but it does affect how PD runs when video editing. Thanks for any advice!

Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU Power Director 8 Ultra.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Elwood: About the only thing I can suggest is a faster hard drive or perhaps one of those new solid state drives. I think for most people, the Disk Transfer Speed (the speed at which the hard disk can read/write data) is always the lowest Windows Experience Score.

From what little research I have done, most people just live with the limitation. I don't really think it will have much of an impact on your rendering/authoring speeds, since the CPUs are doing most of the work.

Just my two cents. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
[Post New]
Thanks Phil. That makes sense and sounds like that is normal. I'm always trying to get the most out of my PC as possible. I paid a $$$$$ for it. Oh well
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
I hear you Elwood. I bought the top of the line DELL Studo XPS 1645 a couple of years back. Maxxed everything out, except I could have gotten a Blu-ray burner/reader, but for a stupid reason, opted for just the reader because my main computer had a Blu-ray burner and it was another $100.00 for the reader/burner combo. I am going to live to regret that since HD files are huge and I will have to move them over my home network to burn to Blu-ray on the desktop computer. The last time I checked out DELL laptops, you couldn't buy a Blu-ray combo for them any more.

And, like you, my disk transfer speed is the low score on the laptop and the laptop was in the thousands of dollars: over $3,500 to be exact. Not to complain though, it does a much better job with PD9 than my old desktop would do.

We live, and we learn, and if we're old, like me, we too often forget what we have learned. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor