CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Artifacts in produced video?
[Post New]
Artifacts from the previous scene pop up in my slideshow, after producing to a file. The artifacts are brief snippets of the previous scene(one or two frames long). All the transitions in this video are cross fades. I used the slideshow tool. I believe it was the "movement" template. I have tried AVCHD2.64 and WMV. This problem is not on the timeline, but only after I export to a file. Thanks for your thoughts!

Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU Power Director 8 Ultra.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9875 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EB -

You've probably already checked this, but it's the first thing that comes to mind...

Expand the timeline to maximum zoom, so you can see every little detail in the timeline & PiP tracks. Scroll along to make absolutely certain there are no remnants of images that have been split & left somewhere.

Hope that helps - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Yes Tony, I did that already. The artifacts are not in the timeline. They only present themselves in the exported files.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9875 Offline
[Post New]
What happens when you produce the slideshow simply as a series of images, with no transitions (i.e. not applying any template)?

I've never had this happen before, except in PD9 where I'd actually left odds & sods in one of the tracks.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
I haven't tried that, because it would seem boring. I would have to start all over.... Maybe the problem is that I am adding too many things AFTER I have rendered the slideshow template (titles, pip tracks, particles), but before I have produced it.

If I could figure out how to do the screen shot I would post it. Thanks.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi EB -

This tutorial should help you with posting your screen shot http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots?feature=mhum#p/u/7/P03_IRi7n2g

EVEN if it's a complex production, what you're experiencing should NOT be happening.

Maybe you could try a test production with (say) 20 images... or maybe it's a PD/ATI issue as Kevin suggested in the other forum.

Cheers - Tony
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
This was my answer to Elwoods question in the Cyberlink forum. I am not sure if it is correct...A screenshot would be helpful because I can't see exactly what you are talking about. But my guess is that it is an ATI graphic rendering problem. Tony has a Nividia setup and hasn't had the misfortune of wrestling with eratic rendering from PD using ATI.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15363.page

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2011 14:04

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
OK Kevin, thanks for the excellent tutorial. Here is the screenshot.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb348/elwoodblues80/RetireVideo.png
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
A screen shot that shows the artifacts would be great. It is hard to know exactly what you are seeing.

Kevin
[Post New]
Oh, sorry about that. This is what I see after the first slide(the 5 people) has already crossfaded into the second slide(the 2 people). It is 1 frame. I am also having a one frame flicker/dimming with the "birthday frame" that is in the middle of the project PIP 1. This is only visible in the PD media viewer or Windows media player, after it is a produced file. Thanks.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb348/elwoodblues80/Artifact.png
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
That is a tough one Elwood...I am not 100% sure what the problem is...When you were talking artifacts...I was anticipating more of video blocky fragments scattered throughout the video clip, which I have experienced when using Hardware Rendering....I even get some flare up of purple and blues in the clip...

But your example is something I don't know the answer to. And it is something that I think I have seem in PD9 when using the Cross Transition.....but not in PD8.

Just to confirm ...you are using build 3022? that would be the latest build to Pd8.

Other than that I am stuck for an answer or a logical next step to help you.

Kevin
[Post New]
Yes, it is 3022. Thanks for taking a look at it. I will have to play with it for a while. Maybe it has something to do with the format. Some of my downloads said 4:3 after I downloaded them. However, they said 16:9 @ the download page.
[Post New]
Elwood I too understood blocky bits in the picture from what you described but it almost looks like the effect is not long enough and you have the previous picture being longer than the effect. I may be wrong, I am not a senior here but try extending the effect to slightly cover the next picture in the timeline.
Cordially, MannyCAM "Manny"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2011 15:33

[Post New]
Thanks Manny, but I can't change the effect in any way because it is all part of a finished video (the "Slide show" template-motion). Another words, the effect/transition is already incorporated into it.
[Post New]
Ahh ha, I understand.