CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 11 Preview and Narration Performance
David [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 01, 2011 19:19 Messages: 0 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PD 11 lately (I'll probably upgrade to PD 12 once I figure out that I can use the advanced features).
My projects have been getting more complex (1-2 hour projects with photos, videos, narration, background music, lots of effects, etc.) and so I bought a new PC with 16G RAM, GTX 660 graphics, and an i7-4770K CPU.

Running my current project with the new hdwe has not improved two performance areas I thought the hdwe should have fixed. One, recording narration, using a mid level option for quality, still takes about 30-45 seconds, per clip, to render and save. Each clip is only about 15 seconds long. This is about what it was taking using the old hdwe (five year old PC with 4G RAM and a slow CPU). I was expecting new narrations to be saved within a few seconds. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Second, while viewing parts of the project (to verify transitions, etc.), oftentimes, the display stalls or gets out of sync with the audio. The video stops and you continue to hear the audio, then all of a sudden, the video jumps ahead and catches back up with the audio. This is very frustrating. I've tried setting the video display to poor quality but this doesn't seem to help. With my new hdwe and graphics board, I would expect to be able to run any project, at any quality, and have NO hesitation or stalls in the video AND have the audio keep up with it. Again, am I missing a setting or something?

Thx for any tech help anyone can provide.
Aeropricer
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 828 Offline
[Post New]
aeropricer:

I don't regard 30 to 45 seconds to render a 15-second audio clip as unreasonable for your hardware platform. There is some fixed "overhead", regardless of clip length that PD must undertake preparatory to, and post, rendering.

As for the preview stumbling, there is a lot going on during preview. When it encounters transitions, PIPs, new audio or title tracks, etc., even a powerful computer will pause. My computer was designed for video editing, but when I know that PD is going to encounter some new stuff, I just hit the space bar and pause for 5 seconds to let it catch up with all of the rendering on the fly that it is having to do. Of course, your produced or burned files will be just fine.

Where you really notice the performance enhancements from a powerful computer is during rendering and burning HD video, in particular, with lots of transitions, PIPs, and such.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
MainGear Shift
Intel CoreT i7 (4.5 GHz)
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Aeropricer. Just wondering... Are you using Windows 7 or 8 with a larger hard drive, say around 500Gb? Or are you still using the computer you started editing videos with, but upgraded once or twice? Earlier in 2013, I bit the bullet and bought a new computer that runs Windows 7. I'm still using Power Director 7 because I'm unable to purchase later versions(8 or later) in full-blown versions through retail stores. This is the only way I prefer to purchase any software, for whichever purpose I wish to have it. I recently acquired Power Director 8 as part of a package with a capture card, but is was only a basic "bare-bones" version and many of its features were not available to use. Attempts to download upgrade patches were unsuccessful, even after several tries, so I reverted to PD7 and have stayed with it for some editing work and all disc authoring work.

You say that it takes between 30 and 45 seconds to render 15-second clips. This is a trifle long for rendering such a short clip. Some of the work I produce can be from half-an-hour to nearly 2 hours in length, but the PD7 will render the longest clip in roughly 1-eighth of the clip's total playing time, and that's not using SVRT, either! Watching the item as it's being produced(ticking in the preview box), I see the scenes just zipping past and a two-hour clip is rendered in about ten-to-15 minutes, thereabouts. If SVRT can be used(if there aren't a lot of transition points), the rendering's even quicker!. So I guess it comes down to how much "headroom" there is on your computer for your PD11 to operate to its fullest potential.
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thx for the input. My project rendering is fine. PD11 with my new PC pulls everything together for a one hour video in about 10-12 minutes. It's the rendering that happend during edit that drives me nuts.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 828 Offline
[Post New]
Aeropricer:

I thought that you were talking about the PRODUCE module. I suspect now that you might be talking about the rendering occurring while you are on the timeline. If you have shadow files turned on, disable them, if your computer is sufficiently powerful. They are not necessary except for under-powered computers.

There were also issues reported with newer Nvidia drivers. PD12 has issued a patch (2420) to deal with that problem, apparently successfully. You might want to try a roll-back to an earlier generation Nvidia driver if you have an Nvidia graphics card. I think that 331.52 or .58 (can't remember) were reported as stable with PD, so that might resolve the problem in PD11. Not sure if they issued a PD11 patch for the new Nvidia graphics drivers issue. You should check to see on your account page if there are any new patches for PD11.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
MainGear Shift
Intel CoreT i7 (4.5 GHz)
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil,

Thx for the tips. I've turned off the "shadowing" and did find a very recent NVIDIA patch for PD11. However, while installing the patch, I got an ERROR 1603 that prevented the install. I did some research on this and CyberLink has an "ERROR 1603 fix" for PD10 (which didn't work for me). Is there a PD11 fix so that I can install the NVIDIA patch?

Thx Again,
Aeropricer
garioch7
[Post New]
Aeropricer:

I would recommend that you contact Cyberlink Technical Support, and perhaps post on the main Cyberlink PD Forums, which can be found here, after you register. Lots more expertise over there and the Forum is more robust. Technically, this Forum is only supposed to deal with DirectorZone issues.

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/member/sign-in.do

Let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
MainGear Shift
Intel CoreT i7 (4.5 GHz)
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia (Port Stephens area, NSW) Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Oh Silly me. I should've paid more attention to the first few lines of your original post, Aeropricer. In the immortal words of Maxwell Smart... "Sorry 'bout that, Chief!" Okay, you do have a new computer. Video editing programmes like Power Director do demand quite a lot from a computer and those older computers that were in use back around 2000 or so, just wouldn't be able to cope(running Windows 2000 or ME, for example) We certainly have come a long way with computers since then! One thing that struck me was this "shadowing", though I don't think this applies to my Power Director 7. Still, I'm curious. What's it all about Alfie....err Phil?
garioch7
[Post New]
Neil:

The Shadow Files setting can be found under Preferences, General (Enable HD Processing). They are designed to be used with marginal computers. When a media clip is placed on the timeline, PD does some rendering and once done, the bar goes green, indicating that the shadow file(s) have been created. You can't successfully edit the next clip until the shadow files are created for the current clip. This "pre-rendering reduces the load on the computer.

If you have a robust computer, Shadow files are unnecessary.

I don't know about PD7. I started with PD9 and they were an option in that version.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
MainGear Shift
Intel CoreT i7 (4.5 GHz)
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info there, Phil C. It satisfied my curiosity after your mentioning of "shadow files" in your response to Aeropricer. As I have stated, I'm now running PD7 on a Windows 7-based computer, where as previously I was running the programme on a Windows XP-based system which seemed to work okay but rendering times became progressively longer on the old beast, but since loading PD7 on the new computer, which I've had since March, last year, rendering just literally "flies" through and my new clip is ready in a matter of a few minutes. A two-hour item takes about 12-or-so minutes to completely render(produce, if you like to call it thus). Pretty darn good, ay?

Cheers!