CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is Powerdirector 8 Ultra incapable of working with MOV video files?
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 86 Offline
[Post New]
I have version 8.00.3022 and if I load a MOV video into the editing portion it absolutely locks up every time I do anything whatsoever. I using a Core 2 Duo PC, 2 GB Ram, with XP Media Center with service pack 3 . Earlier I asked about this subject and someone suggested downloading some codecs from an outside site. It didn't help. I also can't understand why a program like this would claim one can edit and work with MOV files but not contain the necessary codecs to do that? I'd just like to know if others have been able to do what I can't even come close to doing? I thought I'd ask this before having to go out and buy another program.Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2011 22:19

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9693 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Francois -

Someone probably suggested installing codecs because that's the most common way to resolve issues like this. When things aren't working properly, we just try to eliminate possibilities.

Another common solution is to download & install the latest version of QuickTime - YES - even if you have it already... http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

What's the source of your .MOV clips? What are their properties?

Have others been able to edit .MOV files with PD8? Yes - I have - shot with my Canon DSLR 550D... but there are .MOV files and there are .MOV files, and a great variety of them.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Canon SD780 Powershot for the Video Files. I actually downloaded the latest version of Quicktime yesterday and the system locked up as bad as ever. It's at the point where I try to do only the simplest possible procedure. I look at the video on SMPlayer. Note where I want to split it and write it on a text file. Then I go to Power Director and enter the entry point , enter a split command and wait some minutes. Then I do the same to split the other end. I wait until the "Program is not responding" message finally goes off and then try to save it as an AVI file so I can actually work with it using Nero. Last night, even after installing the latest Quicktime, it froze worse than ever and I couldn't even do this. Below is info from SMPlayer on the video.
Size
231659 KB (226 MB)
Length
00:02:59
Demuxer
lavfpref

Video
Resolution
640 x 480
Aspect ratio
Format
H264
Bitrate
9839 kbps
Frames per second
Selected codec
ffh264

Initial Audio Stream
Format
Bitrate
0 kbps
Rate
44100 Hz
Channels
Selected codec
pcm

Audio Streams
#
Language
Name
ID
eng
<empty>

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9693 Offline
[Post New]
Francois -

Please try this...

Download FormatFactory from http://www.pcfreetime.com/

After it's installed, select "All to MOV" & load one of those .MOV files into it & convert it.

Now - load the "converted" file into PD & see if it behaves.

FormatFactory will "normalise" the clip (usually) & help it work in PD.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I'll be checking that out in some days and let you know how it went.
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I'll be checking that out in some days and let you know how it went.