CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Jerky video in preview windows (small or big)
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 86 Offline
[Post New]
One of the main reasons I bought this software was so I could preview and edit travel videos on an external monitor in full screen. However, when I import my MOV files the video is as jerky as I've ever seen. I can play the same videos, without problem, in my normal video player smplayer or vlc player. My laptop has core 2 duo,2gb and a dedicated videocard as well as 2gb ram. Is this unusual? Thanks
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9693 Offline
[Post New]
Francois -

There are a few things at play here...

1. Hardware has a huge effect. What I can do easily on my desktop PC (Core I7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 8GB RAM GTX 260) would never be achievable on my laptop, which is a dual core machine with 2GB RAM (but integrated graphics).
2. The preview screen is only a preview screen. Changing the screen quality from high to normal might fix jerkiness, but at the cost of image quality.
3. Editing video is more taxing on your PC than playback.

What are the properties of your .mov files? Source?

Cheers - Tony

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more. Subscribe!
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply. The MOV file is from a Canon SD780.
Video
Resolution
1280 x 720
Aspect ratio
Format
H264
Bitrate
23499 kbps
Frames per second
Selected codec
ffh264
I tried to find the setting to reduce the preview quality but couldn't find it. Could you explain where it is? It would be a setback to have to reduce the quality when editing travel footage because one really needs to see the video at its best to decide on keeping certain scenes. I just tried watching a mov file now and it was completely unwatchable as it was at first dropping many frames and then came to a complete stop. On the subject of how your high powered desktop can handle this program,I've been editing video for 4 years on an older laptop and the current one with an older version of Nerovision Express and it never bogged my system down like this nor was it completely unable to even preview clips. The version I had didn't support MOV files so that's a main reason why I bought this software. So far it's only use has been to convert MOV files to another format and work on them in the old program.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 07. 2010 23:32

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9693 Offline
[Post New]
Francois -

I've downloaded a sample clip (of the Canon DS780) from http://vimeo.com/3520298 & do a bit of testing with it.

24MBps! My previous desktop would absolutely choke when I tried to edit 24MBps (or even 17MBps) from my Canon HFS10. I'll try it on the laptop, but I don't like my chances. It does sound like your laptop is struggling, but I'll get back to you.

Cheers - Tony

Preview Quality

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK. Thanks for showing where that control is. It still is hard to understand why my free video viewing programs Smplayer and Vlc can consistently play these Mov files from the SD780 but the viewer in PowerDirector can't. Yes, editing is different than just viewing, but how can one make proper edits if they can't see what they are doing? I also saw a claim that PD adjusted to the processor of the computer it's on to prevent such slowdowns.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Francois -

I know it's disappointing... but it's best for us to deal with information.

Could you please post a diagnostic report for your laptop. Go to Start > Run > & type dxdiag... save the report as text & post it here. That might give us a clearer picture.

I haven't tried that sample file on the laptop yet, but it's fine on my desktop machine. Not a hint of a stutter. It does have the same profile as your clip - 23.8MBps .mov file - MPEG-4 format - 1280x720 - 30fps.

Cheers - Tony

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I don't doubt that it may run better on your high powered desktop but I suspect that many people who buy this consumer software have computers well below what I have.
ynotfish
[Post New]
To anyone who's interested -

Francois sent me a copy of his DxDiag report to check out. I offered a few suggestions, then tested the sample clips on my laptop in order to compare.

The results were surprising - so surprising that I've posted them in a new thread. It does show some important things about PCs and video editing.

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/0/1999.page#6799

Cheers - Tony

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the time to write that. I'll look into some of those computer tips and see if changes are forthcoming.
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the time to write that. I'll look into some of those computer tips and see if changes are forthcoming.