CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unable to import FLV file
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 86 Offline
[Post New]
On several recent tries I've been unable to import an FLV file. I have PD 8 Ultra. I thought I did this before? When I drag the FLV files into the editing area it shows a dialog box like it will open it but nothing happens and it locks up the program. If I try to go through the programs import function it doesn't show the FLV files in the folder. Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2010 23:08

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9693 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Francois -

PD is able to import some .flv files - but not all. I can't explain that because I don't understand it myself

You'd need to convert it to a suitable video format in third party software.

If you're downloading videos from the net, choosing mp4 is a better option.

Cheers - Tony

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more. Subscribe!
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.Wow. That was one of the two reasons I bought the program instead of using using NeroVision Express. I can't understand how the latest version of a program would not include such a widely used format.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Just a quess, and you asked a very valid question, so no disrespect is intended by my answer, just tossing out a thought or two......but maybe Power Director geared the program primarily to handle the file types that are generated by video cameras. I haven't checked myself, but I don't think many cameras use flv as their raw file format. Yes it is a video editing program and it probably should....and they probably were kicking themselves for leaving out that format....and they have to answer all the emails that they are getting......And I bet the next release ...Power Director 9 will have the ability to accept ALL or MOST flv formats.

Personally I would LOVE to have the ability to render to a flv file!! .....without the use of other software.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9693 Offline
[Post New]
Francois -

Agreed, it's a commonly used format for streaming video on the web, but the ability to directly edit .flv files isn't a feature of many video editing programs. How "commonly" flash will be used in the future is debatable with the changing technologies that access the internet.

There are some interesting tables at the bottom of this page: http://www.masternewmedia.org/2009/11/09/11/index.htm

Typically video editing software is designed to edit the source material (ie. from cameras etc) & then output files in a format designed for a specific purpose (in the case of flash, that's highly compressed for web streaming), rather than the other way around.

There is plenty of free software that can convert flash files to other formats, but these often result in degraded quality because it's such a highly compressed format. A number of flash video download tools can also convert the files. Some freeware video editing software can directly edit flash files - http://hackspc.com/free-video-editing-software/

Hope that helps with perspective -

Cheers - Tony

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply. I think it's an unreasonable deficiency for a program that one assumes is comprehensive. Most video that I download from the web is FLV. In my case, some of it is sports. Sometimes I want to take a small bit out and save it. I use Smplayer or Vlcplayer to view them. They are free and pretty good with FLV files (although sometimes they get slowed down by them) but they can't save bits of videos. I thought this highest level of PowerDirector might be able to maneuver better than these free programs but then found it couldn't even read them much less maneuver better or edit. I wouldn't have suspected this at all because Powerdirector Ultra uses it's ability to export to Youtube as a selling point so I wouldn't have imagined it couldn't read Youtube's own videos. To have to convert any flv video (with some other program) that I might just want to take a snippet out of is more than enough trouble to not bother.

Quote: Francois -

Agreed, it's a commonly used format for streaming video on the web, but the ability to directly edit .flv files isn't a feature of many video editing programs. How "commonly" flash will be used in the future is debatable with the changing technologies that access the internet.

There are some interesting tables at the bottom of this page: http://www.masternewmedia.org/2009/11/09/11/index.htm

Typically video editing software is designed to edit the source material (ie. from cameras etc) & then output files in a format designed for a specific purpose (in the case of flash, that's highly compressed for web streaming), rather than the other way around.

There is plenty of free software that can convert flash files to other formats, but these often result in degraded quality because it's such a highly compressed format. A number of flash video download tools can also convert the files. Some freeware video editing software can directly edit flash files - http://hackspc.com/free-video-editing-software/

Hope that helps with perspective -

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 01. 2010 18:26

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1931 Offline
[Post New]
I agree these things are frustrating, but I suppose, in fairness to CL, I have to point out that I can't find where CL says that PD will deal with any .flv at all in the specs. - so maybe your assumption has been incorrect.
...........that one assumes is comprehensive.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Adrian - ever the gentleman!

Here is the page showing formats supported by CyberLink PowerDirector http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/languages-formats_en_US.html

As I mentioned earlier, Francois, videos don't have to be downloaded in .flv format. I use Firefox as my main browser - and a plug-in/add-on called Download Helper. It provides the option of downloading as .flv or .mp4. This applies to YouTube & other video sites.

Many of the dedicated download softwares do the same thing, or give the option of conversion.

Cheers - Tony

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Adrian - ever the gentleman!

Here is the page showing formats supported by CyberLink PowerDirector http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/languages-formats_en_US.html

As I mentioned earlier, Francois, videos don't have to be downloaded in .flv format. I use Firefox as my main browser - and a plug-in/add-on called Download Helper. It provides the option of downloading as .flv or .mp4. This applies to YouTube & other video sites.

Many of the dedicated download softwares do the same thing, or give the option of conversion.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the reply. The program I bought downloads whatever original format the stream is in.Mp3,mp4,flv, swf etc. Nearly all of the sports I've been interested in (Tennis) are FLV. I haven't seen that it can change the video format but will ask and see if their tech support can answer this. Another factor against having to convert FLV to another format, besides time wasted, is a further reduction of video quality.
[Post New]
FrancoisT,

Here’s another option, for what it’s worth.

To download Youtube videos, just go to…
http://keepvid.com/
Then paste the Youtube video’s URL in the box and click download > then run.
Then choose the format you want, from the list of available options you are given.

Below are the typical options you will receive. As you can see, you can easily get a 1280x720 Mp4 download of a Youtube video (for free).
>> Download 3GP << - Low Quality - 176x144
<< Download 3GP << - Medium Quality - 176x144
>> Download 3GP << - High Quality - 320x240
>> Download FLV << - Low Quality - 320x240
>> Download FLV << - Medium Quality - 400x226
>> Download FLV << - High Quality - 640x380
>> Download MP4 << - High Quality - 480x360
>> Download MP4 << - High Definition - 1280x720

Then import the downloaded Mp4 to your PD8.
(Naturally, the video you want to download, would have had to of been uploaded at 1280x720, for that download option to be available.)

Note: Even though this may not be “your” intent, just an obligatory word of caution.
It is a violation of Youtube’s Terms Of Service to use or include all or a portion, of another Youtube video, in your Youtube video, without prior consent and permission of the video’s owner. Violation of this TOS subjects your channel to possible termination.
There is no conflict for private use, as far as I am aware.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 02. 2010 09:17

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
The bottom line from this discussion is that PowerDirector 8 can't import or edit flv files. Above, where one is shown what Adobe Premiere,etc can do shows they can work with FLV files so it could have been done but was either too much trouble for Cyberlink to include or would have cost too much. I have no idea. Thanks for the tip on Youtube formats. It's not where I need it most though and so far I don't see that my program can change formats for sports sites. By the way. I checked that keepvid.com with Web of Trust ,which checks for malware and viruses, and it had some recent problems. http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/keepvid.com#comment
[Post New]
Thanks for the Web of Trust link FrancoisT.
As for KeepVid, (one of many YT download sites out there) I've never had a problem or had a notice from either my McAfee or now Norton. But things on the internet change day by day don't they? Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
I checked with the tech support for Replay Media Catcher and they said no,it only downloads in whatever the original format is. In my case (sports) it's always FLV. I think Cyberlink should add support for this.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Francois -

I am sure you have already worked out that CS5 costs about 8x as much as PD8. Though the ability to import & edit .flv files would be handy (especially for you), video cameras don't record in that format. FLVs were recorded in a different format, edited then converted for use on the internet... so they've already been through a couple of transformations.

OK - your software only gives you the option to download flv files. I'm not sure that's CyberLink's problem! I don't know about you, but when I have some software & it can't do what I want... I use something else!

Here's the list of sites supported by the Mozilla Firefox add-on I mentioned before. It cost me $0. http://www.vidohe.com/sites.php?sort=interest&page=none

Can you please post the link to some of the sports sites you most often visit?

There are many freeware programs that give you the option of either downloading in a different format or converting the file, including the one Cranston mentioned.

Cheers - Tony

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the exchange of links. The answer is PD8 does NOT edit or import FLV files. PD8 does not create FLV files or convert them.

There are plenty of free FLV creative software around as there are FLV convertors. This isn't a forum to promote other companies products. I'm locking this post as the subject has run its course.

Thanks

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2010 23:59