Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 11 Ultra Codecs stopped working
PDuser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2014 21:43 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
So I started my PowerDirector 11 Ultra today to quickly bang out a new project and spent the whole day debugging software. My whole day was shot with nothing to show for it.

The software wouldn't load my media libraries because two of my codecs became unactivated. It might be more than two, but I know for sure that the H.264 codec for importing mp4 files and the mpeg2 codec for importing vob files no longer work.

When I bought this software less than a year ago, the amazon.com description said that the Ultra package included these codecs. That's why I bought it. I tried re-regestering and re-activating the software and no luck. I found my old amazon receipt with the activation code. The software says registration and activation went ok, but the codecs still don't work.

I am very frustrated and don't know how to proceed. I submitted a trouble ticket with support but haven't heard anything back yet. I'll update here when I find anything out.

I really need to get going on this project though and was hoping someone here might know how to fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance.
Les [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2013 05:27 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Me too mate, just stopped working and now I'm screwed!
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
The software wouldn't load my media libraries because two of my codecs became unactivated... I tried re-regestering and re-activating the software and no luck.

But did you try reinstalling the program? That should restore any damaged files.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
Already done that. I've contacted support and send them the screenshots, serial number and proof of purchase as requested and I'm waiting for a solution.

Don't understand why they hide this activation lark deep in the software when so many people seem to have the same problem with it?

The lack of an actual fix from Cyberlink seems odd and somewhat lacklustre but let's see what comes back from support
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Already done that. I've contacted support and send them the screenshots, serial number and proof of purchase as requested and I'm waiting for a solution.

Don't understand why they hide this activation lark deep in the software when so many people seem to have the same problem with it?

The lack of an actual fix from Cyberlink seems odd and somewhat lacklustre but let's see what comes back from support

It is mentioned in the specs.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html
Internet Connection

Internet connection is required for activating some import/export formats, including AVCHD, Blu-ray Disc, DVD, H.264, & MPEG-2. The activation is quick and easy.

It is not hidden, you just have to read everything before you go off the deep end.

This on Cyberlink support.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12834&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

Cyberlink could be more direct about the 30 days for activation.
It should be in big bold text in the Email for download and on the Box if you buy the boxed version.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm the user who opened this topic, and really need some advice please. Yes, I uninstalled the software, and then re-installed from the amazon download which is still available to me. I have the original key and I'm sure I'm using the right information. PowerDirector tells me that my registration and activation were successful. Then the software behaves exactly the same way. Two codecs don't work, maybe more.

I bought the Ultra version specifically because the amazon description said it included all codecs. I didn't need the Ultimate version because it had features that I would never use. I activated and registered my software as soon as I installed it. That was less than a year ago. Like they said, it was fast and easy. I'm always connected to high speed internet. Shortly after I started using PowerDirector, CyberLink notified me about an update/enhancement package. I downloaded and installed it as well. Everything was fine and I completed activation of the product immediately.

What I am telling you is that everything was working last time I used it. Yesterday I went back to the last project I worked on and the software wouldn't load my complete media library.

There is something wrong with PowerDirector 11 Ultra. Can someone who knows what' is going on with this codec problem please help? The only thing I can think of is that I changed my email address. My original was with Yahoo and I no longer use it. That account is closed.

Thank you.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
Internet connection is required for activating some import/export formats, including AVCHD, Blu-ray Disc, DVD, H.264, & MPEG-2. The activation is quick and easy.

Is what is says and I fulfill all the criteria and yet it doesn't work.

If activation of components which have time limits on them then why not activate them at the time the program is activated and a valid internet connection is therefor guaranteed.

At no point was I told that any time limits were in place for software that is not shareware but paid for and activated.

It just makes no sense at all

Lets see what support have to say
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, I just got an answer from support. I'm starting to get a bad feeling. To get the conversation started with support, I selected PowerDirector 11 for the product and filled out a form. I even said:

I haven't made any changes that would in any way affect PowerDirector 11.

Support replied with this:

I understand that you are unable to activate the codec of the PowerDirector 12 Ultra software.

So we're off to a rough start looks like. Hopefully support speaks English.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You can only wait for Cyberlink support, they are the only ones that can re-activate your codecs. You will still have to do the internet thing after Cyberlink activates your codecs.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Carl,

Could you please tell me exactly how you did the "internet thing?" Is there something somewhere I'm missing? How many activations did you have to go through to keep your codecs? When I first got the software, I installed it, registered it, and activated it. Then I went through every menu item, every effect, every transition, and every edit feature. I edited and rendered movies. To the best of my knowledge, I did pretty much everything there is to do. I even used multiple video and audio layers with chroma keying. I found no codec activation option anywhere. Where did you find yours? Could you please show me a screen shot of what you are talking about?

Thank you
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've given up on it. I've just bought the 12 ultimate version and it opens my existing V11 files so back to work - sadly £55 out of pocket for software already paid for!!

I've just 'Produced' my movie in MP4 and it worked with no errors about h.264 and so on, Neither though have I had any messages on screen telling me to register the codecs, infact there's no where in the software anywhere that I can see any 'register' or 'activate' links or buttons - am I missing something??

I will put in a support ticket and ask them how I register all the codecs supplied with the package
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are a brave man, Les. I was actually thinking of buying the update to 12 until I tried to work on my old projects. Now I'm not sure about spending more money with CyberLink only to have the software break in less than a year. To be honest, I'm looking at alternatives. I'll wait and see what support says before I make a decision.
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Maybe Carl can show you how to register/activate your codecs? What do you say, Carl?
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Maybe Carl can show you how to register/activate your codecs? What do you say, Carl?

Activation is very simple.

Put the Sample files on the timeline, then go to produce. Produce each of the listed formats. MPEG2, H.264 file then Create Disk and burn DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc, you only have to start the burning process, but be sure to change the 2D > disk format for each one.

If activation is necessary you will get a message that asks to activate, answer Yes or OK.
You must have an active internet connection when you click. Be sure Powerdirector has access to the internet, some malware scanners block access.

It is the first thing I check with a new Powerdirector install.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2014 17:02

PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl, what you describe is neither quick nor easy. Are you really sure about this? Do you really have to start burning a disk with each codec to register it? This is crazy stuff and I hope you are wrong. Could you please show me where it says this in the documentation?

Consider this, if the software doesn't check codec activation when reading files but only when writing disks, then why won't it read my library media?

I haven't written one disk with my software, ever. All I do is export the finished product to a file. No wonder.

No sir, this is not quick and it's not at all easy.

Les, did you hear what you got yourself into? I hope support comes back with a more reasonable explanation.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just did as described and have an exported file from each of the 'produce' options - MOV, MP4

When producing the clips none of them asked to register or activate anything. I started the write process on each of the disc types in both 2D and 3D, BR and DVD and still nothing asked for registration or activation and neither have I received and confirmations on screen about it.

In other words I don't think it did anything?

I will put up whatever Cyberlink suggest
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
I only export to a file too as it's for YouTube mainly so do actual disc required.

Having said that I want the facility should I need to write a disc for anyone and don't want it vanishing a few months later because I have no immediate use for it at the time of purchase.
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, what Carl was describing didn't make sense. I created some mp4 files so the codec should have said something at the time, but it never did. Nothing ever did. That's why it was such a surprise when I pushed the start button and got errors.

I'm the same way, I don't use the software often, but when I need it, I expect it to run. Just like my garden tractor -- when spring comes the thing better run because I've got acres to mow.

Carl might not know about that analogy because I don't think they have grass in Tejas.
Carl312
[Post New]
If those formats are activated, there will be no notice.

If the formats are disabled because to codec activation is past the 30 days, they simply will not produce.

You do not have to actually burn a disk to check if the DVD and BluRay format are activated. You only have to start the process. If DVD and/or BluRay is not activated, you will get the window asking to activate, if not they are activated or disabled.

I cannot demonstrate because all of my programs are activated.

PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Let me make sure I understand the consequence of what you are describing. If a customer doesn't use a particular feature of the software they bought and paid for, that feature expires and the customer will no longer have access to the expired feature. Is that right? Are you sure this is CyberLink's product model?

Are you hearing this, Les? Please post how CyberLink's support describes the feature/codec activation process. Forgive me if I'm a bit incredulous, Carl, but I've never heard of such a thing. Are there maybe other software features that you have to use to activate? To make sure the software remains fully functional, the customer would have to perform every taks the software is capable of. This is scary stuff that Carl is talking about.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2014 19:54