Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The Irony Of It All
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
A number of years ago now I moved away from Power DVD because I could not get smooth playback, the Blu-ray video always jerked and it was more pronounced with the frame interpolation feature on my Projector.
Now with TMT 6, I can't get that program to work in Windows 8.1; here is the problem as presented in the support ticket to Arcsoft:

This doesn't happen in W7, but always in W8.1. I tried to find out what was causing this a while ago on my old dv8 laptop, but never found the problem. So I've built a new HTPC with a NIVIDA GTX 760 card and a Haswell i7-4770K processor and the problem occurs here as well _ of course. Display is a Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector and a Denon 988 AVR. It happens about every 10 minutes, give or take 20 or 30 seconds and each episode last about 2 to 3 minutes. I disabled the built in Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, uninstalled all the Apps (I have no need for them anyway)and shut off any processes that I could think of. Nothing worked... In W7 I had to have TMT6 disable Windows Aero which caused the problem I am talking about, but that option is gone in W 8.1. If I choose a Windows Desk Top High Contrast theme the problem goes away. However this not a solution, but a work around. Not only that, the High Contrast themes are very ugly. To re-create this situation you need to be running a NVIDIA video card (any driver, it doesn't matter), have a Blu-ray movie playing with a 29.976 frame rate and the box has to be ticked to allow TMT6 to change the cards refresh rate to match the Blu-rays frame rate. If you have a frame interpolation function on your display and it is turned on, then the problem I am discussing is even pronounced. What is needed is to have TMT6 choose a Windows High Contrast desk top theme while a movie is playing. A user option should be made available to allow users to do this _ like disabling Windows Aero in W7. If not that, then perhaps a change in the program that is not effected by Windows 8.1 desk top themes.

However, Power DVD13 works fine in W 8.1, no matter what the desk top settings are.

I read somewhere that Cyberlink has used the XBMC engine and built their product around it, I would be curious to know if this is true.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2014 20:45

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I read somewhere that Cyberlink has used the XBMC engine and built their product around it, I would be curious to know if this is true.

No, it's not true!

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
If Arcsoft does address the problems that I posted here it's going to take a long time _ probably a year or more as I am sure they will have to re-write the software. Assuming they will go to those lengths.
So I have a couple of questions about Power DVD 13.
Can the Media Library pane be totally hidden ? I can make it wider and narrower, but I can't get rid of it altogether.
There is a pop-up message asking me if I want to apply auto refresh rate switching when I play movie and there is an option there never to show this again.
Once I choose the option to never show the message again will the auto refresh rate be applied ?

Is there a button somewhere to turn it off or on or is it fully automatic ?
Thanks Michael !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2014 04:21