CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Confused with chapters... Menus... etc.
Reply to this topic
Bob [Avatar]
Member Private Message Location: Canada Joined: Jun 12, 2008 21:50 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
First, I'm new to this...
The software is fairly self explainitory.
I made a disk with 15 video clips. I put the disk in my player and everything seems fine. But I when I'm watching a video I can't skip to the next or previous clip?
Only the "back" button on player works, and it will only take me to the begining of the clip I'm watching.
I have to press "Title menu" on the DVD player remote, which takes me back to the begining of the play list, and then I have to jump through all the clips to get where I want.

Should I be able to set each clip up seperately? I'm not sure what the correct wording is.... is scene selection?

I must have something wrong.
I'm guessing I have menu & chapters understood wrong?
I also set up a short video clip under "First Play Video"
Where does this happen? I never saw it.

And I have no idea what is going on in the "Set Chapters" page/tab.

Is there some good readings on this? The help info that came with the PP5 is not detailed enough for me.

Thanks!!!!
Bob [Avatar]
Member Private Message Location: Canada Joined: Jun 12, 2008 21:50 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
No one can help me?
Runesai [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jun 10, 2008 14:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Do you have a menu set up or is it set to no-menu. It's sounding like there isn't a menu so it's going to the first clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2008 15:09

Bob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Runesai,
I've learned quite a bit now since that post.
I guess I should have come back and updated it.

I didn't set up chapters, that was my issue.
And I've now learned that in preview mode, you can only see the chapters when you are on the MENU page.
I was expecting to be abe to jump between chapters while watching the movie in preview mode.

I burnt a disc and found that you can jump around between chapters when the disc is in the DVD player.
Basically, I was expecting to use PREVIEW mode like my remote on the DVD player...

Bob
Angel [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: Spain Joined: Jun 19, 2008 14:00 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob,

Although I'm new in this product, not new in Video Editing and Production. I'll try to clarify some of your doubts. MY apologies if I explain something that is already obvious for you.

A Menu is a screen where you can choose or select something. A Chapter is just a Bookmark you do in your video clip or sequence of video clips.
Those bookmarks are used in the production to generate entry points to those scenes.
Those entrypoints are selected in the Chapters Menu.

Really don't know why it doesn't work well for you. My recomendation is to use the Preview before generating and burning your DVD. If in the preview all selections and Back and Forth buttons works well, and not in your DVD player, something is working bad.

However, if it doesn't work in the preview, I'm afraid you are doing something wrong.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Bob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Angel,
Thats for helping.
I have an understanding of menus and chapters, it's just the controls of the program that are "weird" for me.

As a very simple test, or explaination...
I start a new project,
load in a movie, and set in 3 chapters.
Then I go to preview.

The main page starts, and I go to the next page to see the movie I imported.
From there I go the chapter page, They are listed as Scene 1, Scene 2, and Scene 3.

Now I choose Scene 2 and it's playing.

Here is the point at which I was confused.
How do I get to scene 1 or 3???

I can't.
I have to press STOP or the HOME button.

I've only been playing with this program for 2 weeks, and I have yet to notice a difference between PREVIEW mode & MOTION PREVIEW.

Bob

Reply to this topic