Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MKV Sub Issues: Wrong language name, Invarient...
BJ1200 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2012 13:31 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Issue #1 - In the example below PDVD13 displays duplicates in the menu and are out of order. This seems to happen with either SRT or PGS subs, the only two types I use.

The below example MKV only has 3 subs, the menu should read:
English
Spanish
French

Issue #2 - The "English" subs often display in the Subtitle Menu as the word "Invariant". Using MKVmerge I have added the word "English" to the Track Name, which sometimes displays as "Invariant English". I have also left the Track Name blank. Neither makes a difference. This happens with SRT subs mostly and seems to ONLY happen with English subs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2014 23:48

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

some questions:

1. please post the Mediainfo log of the affected file
2. are there Subtitle files in the same Folder the Movie File is located?

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
BJ1200 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I don't use external sub files. All subs are embedded in the MKV file. I will had to read up on what a "MediaInfo" log is and how to create it.
Daelin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem. I think it's because programs like MKVMerge will not explicitly set values where they equal the default to save a little bit of disk space.

As shown in the specification (http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html) the default value for language is 'eng' so any track without a language specified should be treated as English, but it looks like PowerDVD incorrectly labels these tracks as "Invariant" instead.
markw [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 14, 2014 12:27 Messages: 74 Offline
[Post New]
Check the audio streams and make sure they match the subtitle tracks. Hopefully, his might resolve the issue. Windows 7, i3, 4GB RAM.
Daelin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
To add to my previous post, I've also seen streams listed as English even when they aren't. For example when listing an audio stream with 'mul' (indicating multiple languages as specified under ISO 639-2).
BJ1200 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was told there were some changes made in MKVMerge after v5.8.0 that Cyberlink apparently hasn't caught up with. Below is all I could find relating to subtitles, which is from late 2012.

* mkvmerge, mmg: enhancement: Added options for turning off
writing "CueDuration" elements ("--engage no_cue_duration") and
"CueRelativePosition" elements ("--engage
no_cue_relative_positions").

* mkvmerge: new feature: The element "CueRelativePosition" is
written for all cue entries.

* mkvmerge: new feature: The element "CueDuration" will be written
for all cue entries referring to subtitle tracks.

* mkvmerge: new feature: mkvmerge will write cues for subtitle
tracks by default now.

* mkvinfo: new feature: added support for the new elements
CueDuration and CueRelativePosition.

* mkvpropedit, mmg, mkvmerge: removal: removed support for the
deprecated element TrackTimecodeScale.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2014 14:03