Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crop video clip after rotation ?
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video clip that was shot at the wrong angle. I need to rotate it 4 degrees.
I tried "power tools" / "video rotation" . It rotates the clip, but black areas appear in 3 of the sides.
The video would need to be cropped afterwards in order to fill the screen.
When I use "power tools" / "video crop" to do the crop, unfortunately, it does the crop before the rotation, so this does not solve the problem.
How can I tell PowerDirector to do the crop after the rotation rather than before ?

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
After the rotation, drag the handles (white dots) in the preview window outward - making the image bigger - to see if that accomplishes what you need.
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: After the rotation, drag the handles (white dots) in the preview window outward - making the image bigger - to see if that accomplishes what you need.

Thanks. This works.

However, I find it difficult to do precisely because of the way PowerDirector sizes the preview window. One has to drag the white dots to an invisible area. Whenever I resize the preview window to expand it, PowerDirector fills it with the whole image, so I still have to drag the white dots outside.

I could deal with this issue if there was only one clip, but I have multiple clips from one camera that needs to be rotated and cropped in exactly the same way. It was one take, but the camera exceeded the maximum 2GB file size, and created another file.

It's essentially impossible to place the white dots exactly twice in the same place for 2 clips with the mouse. There are no coordinates displayed. Is there any place where one can type things in to do this crop, the same way I can type "4 degrees" for the rotation ?

If I use "group objects" to link the two video clips, it's not possible to do the rotation, and white dots don't show. Everything has to be done twice on individual clips.

The only way I can think of to resolve this is to do an intermediate render to merge both clips into one clip ... But I'd rather not have to do that. Also, this doesn't really work when using multi-cam mode. I need to be able to duplicate the rotation/crop settings from one clip to another when alternating cameras.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
[Post New]
In PD is easy to do, especially if all clips have the same proportion.
Adjust the first clip, when the white ball leaves the preview, drag the image to the side until it appears, adjust and re-drag the image into place.
Holding clicks to drag the image.
With the image in place, right-click, select "Copy keyframes Attributes".
select all other clips that needs to rotate, right-click and select, Paste attributes keyframes.
Simple as that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2013 20:49

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: There are no coordinates displayed. Is there any place where one can type things in to do this crop, the same way I can type "4 degrees" for the rotation?

Select the clip on the time line. Click the KEYFRAME button, then CLIP ATTRIBUTES. There, various physical parameters can be precisely specified.
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: In PD is easy to do, especially if all clips have the same proportion.
Adjust the first clip, when the white ball leaves the preview, drag the image to the side until it appears, adjust and re-drag the image into place.
Holding clicks to drag the image.
With the image in place, right-click, select "Copy keyframes Attributes".
select all other clips that needs to rotate, right-click and select, Paste attributes keyframes.
Simple as that.

Thank you. I was able to copy the keyframe attributes with fewer clicks, without doing any dragging or click-holding.
This accomplishes the desired end result !

I have to say the white dots are very hard to use. Once I drag one outward, the preview window doesn't show any of the other white dots unless I use the scroll bars. This despite the fact that I have a 2560x1600 screen that is much larger than the 1440x1080 clip. The way that PowerDirector resizes the clip in the preview window makes it very difficult.

Also, instead of showing angled white dots, and working on one white dot at a time, it would be much easier and precise to have a cropping rectangle of the correct aspect ratio, and draw that rectangle to include just the desired part of the video.
Ie. just fixing the "crop tool" so that it works after the other effects like rotation.
I hope PowerDirector developers are listening.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you. I was able to copy the keyframe attributes with fewer clicks, without doing any dragging or click-holding.
This accomplishes the desired end result !

I have to say the white dots are very hard to use. Once I drag one outward, the preview window doesn't show any of the other white dots unless I use the scroll bars. This despite the fact that I have a 2560x1600 screen that is much larger than the 1440x1080 clip. The way that PowerDirector resizes the clip in the preview window makes it very difficult.

Also, instead of showing angled white dots, and working on one white dot at a time, it would be much easier and precise to have a cropping rectangle of the correct aspect ratio, and draw that rectangle to include just the desired part of the video.
Ie. just fixing the "crop tool" so that it works after the other effects like rotation.
I hope PowerDirector developers are listening.

For me it's easy, I did not use the scroll bar for this case, the preview window is my reference, usually after I rotate espadir, and if you need to drag the image to fill the preview window.
I suppose this is what you intended to do, I'm sorry if I'm wrong ..

The other way to do it too easy, select the clip, Button Power Tools / Video Crop / Crop Video, which opened in PIP adjusts the picture you should consider beginning me the end of the effect.
Editing this way does not allow to use the Copy / Paste keyframes, I think

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 29. 2013 21:45

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
For me it's easy, I did not use the scroll bar for this case, the preview window is my reference, usually after I rotate espadir, and if you need to drag the image to fill the preview window.
I suppose this is what you intended to do, I'm sorry if I'm wrong ..

I think there may be some language issues that get in the way of us fully understanding each other.
The need for the scroll bar is when dragging the white points to make the image fill the preview window.
Once one white point is dragged out, the other white points are no longer visible. One then needs to use the scroll bar to get to the other white points. All white points don't show at once in the preview window.

The other way to do it too easy, select the clip, Button Power Tools / Video Crop / Crop Video, which opened in PIP adjusts the picture you should consider beginning me the end of the effect.

This other way does not work when you rotate the clip, unfortunately. It crops before the rotation, leaving dark areas on the sides.
That was the reason for my original post. It is a minor usability issue in the program, but an annoying one, IMO.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Also, instead of showing angled white dots, and working on one white dot at a time, it would be much easier and precise to have a cropping rectangle of the correct aspect ratio, and draw that rectangle to include just the desired part of the video

In POWER TOOLS|VIDEO CROP you can set keyframes, creating a rotation and crop path. Dragging a white dot drags the entire frame, maintaining aspect ratio. Dragging the green dot rotates. Dragging the center dot moves the entire frame.
There is also a readout showing the amount of rotation in degrees.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2013 21:44

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Also, instead of showing angled white dots, and working on one white dot at a time, it would be much easier and precise to have a cropping rectangle of the correct aspect ratio, and draw that rectangle to include just the desired part of the video

In POWER TOOLS|VIDEO CROP you can set keyframes, creating a rotation and crop path. Dragging a white dot drags the entire frame, maintaining aspect ratio. Dragging the green dot rotates. Dragging the center dot moves the entire frame.
There is also a readout showing the amount of rotation in degrees.

Thank you ! Now I get it. This should really be called "video crop and/or rotate" since it can do one or both.
Unlike the main preview window, in this case PowerDirector does not fill the "Crop" window so one can see all the white dots at once.
One oddity in "power tools" / "video crop" .is with the readout in degrees. It is opposite to the readout in the "power tools" / "video rotation".

For "power tools" / "video crop", I have to do a 356 degrees rotation. Whereas in "power tools" / "video rotation" I do 4 degrees. But both are doing the same rotation.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
[Post New]
Quote: Eu acho que pode haver alguns problemas de linguagem que ficam no caminho de nós totalmente entender um ao outro.
A necessidade da barra de rolagem é quando arrastando os pontos brancos para fazer a imagem preencher a janela de pré-visualização.
Uma vez que um ponto branco é arrastado para fora, o outros pontos brancos não são mais visíveis. Seguidamente, é necessário usar a barra de rolagem para chegar a outros pontos brancos. Todos os pontos brancos não aparecem de uma só vez na janela de pré-visualização.

I did a screen capture shows as I do, rotation, cropping the video or photo.
Note that I have attached to grid facilitates the posisionamento image, 1st Copy / Paste is just to see what works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5w2aqIK5DE AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Note that I have attached to grid facilitates the posisionamento image, 1st Copy / Paste is just to see what works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5w2aqIK5DE

Thank you. At 0:21s in your video, you can see that some of the white points are outside the frame of the preview window in the top right. That's what made it hard for me to drag these white points. And resizing the preview window to make it larger doesn't help - some of the white points are always outside that window, you can never see them all at once without using the scroll bars.

Fortunately, the same problem doesn't exist when using "Power tools" / "video crop". But in that case, I had to copy the keyframe between the beginning and end of the clip.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5w2aqIK5DE

Thank you. At 0:21s in your video, you can see that some of the white points are outside the frame of the preview window in the top right. That's what made it hard for me to drag these white points. And resizing the preview window to make it larger doesn't help - some of the white points are always outside that window, you can never see them all at once without using the scroll bars.

Fortunately, the same problem doesn't exist when using "Power tools" / "video crop". But in that case, I had to copy the keyframe between the beginning and end of the clip.

You do not need to see all the white balls, acting on one all follow the first, the image keeps the aspect ratio, the same as zooming in the image. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
Richard Heggie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 13, 2018 01:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This baffled me for some time ... but then I noticed a very small element that makes rotating and cropping SO easy.

Firstly, do NOT use Video Rotation in Power Tools.

Instead got straight to Crop and Zoom.

Just below the preview window (ie just above the Aspect Ratio Selection Panel) you will see a small, unobtrusive black box.

Cclick in there and select the desired rotation in degrees. Then drag the white box to crop off the black edges caused by the rotation.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, that works, but you cannot copy those settings and paste it to other clips.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080